What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Rayne » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:22 am

Gears of War: Judgement. I absolutely loved this game from start to finish. Each 'level' was broken up into 6 or 7 challenge segments, each with varying difficulty levels and extra variants.

Unlike most skill-based shooters you aren't judged on variation or how long it takes to complete a section. So if I wanted to take a long time expertly sniping, I'd still earn top marks which is great, as most other shooters that try this leave you pressured to use EVERY weapon and kill method as FAST as possible.

I've jumped into the online mode and found it very varied. Over-run is a great attack/defence game, very balanced and it's very cool getting to play as the different locust species. Also having a lot of fun on Domination. Level 32 right now, going to keep going till I cap out at 50 8)

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:48 am

flatapex wrote:toca race driver 2 on psp

a game i was a massive fan of on ps2 in the mid 2000s while saving for my house deposit, had my dualshock 2 not packed in about the time i got sky multiroom in my bedroom i would have completed it years ago.
bought it on psp and decided to start on a different platform from the one i started on about 9 years ago.

3 flaws in an otherwise great game:
1. erratic difficulty levels, go from a difficult championship to one you will breeze through
2. you will be told that you have knocked a driver out of the competition only to find he is still your rival next time round in some cases
3. the final championship, cars can flip over, get smashed into etc and still stay in the race, whereas your car cannot.

for sheer vfm this game is well worth picking up, my copy was £2.40 posted and there is a lot of racing and actual circuits covered
I've never tried this one, had Toca Race Driver 1, didn't find it as fun as the original Toca Playstation games and found the storyline to be a bit too predictable. Still up among the best racers though. Could cars crash out of races like the original? That was one of the main draws for me, the fact that it wasn't just your car that could crash out of a race but others too, made the championships less predictable.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:34 pm

I finished Tearaway on the PS Vita. A lovely and charming little game, glad i saw it through to the end. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:22 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
flatapex wrote:toca race driver 2 on psp

a game i was a massive fan of on ps2 in the mid 2000s while saving for my house deposit, had my dualshock 2 not packed in about the time i got sky multiroom in my bedroom i would have completed it years ago.
bought it on psp and decided to start on a different platform from the one i started on about 9 years ago.

3 flaws in an otherwise great game:
1. erratic difficulty levels, go from a difficult championship to one you will breeze through
2. you will be told that you have knocked a driver out of the competition only to find he is still your rival next time round in some cases
3. the final championship, cars can flip over, get smashed into etc and still stay in the race, whereas your car cannot.

for sheer vfm this game is well worth picking up, my copy was £2.40 posted and there is a lot of racing and actual circuits covered
I've never tried this one, had Toca Race Driver 1, didn't find it as fun as the original Toca Playstation games and found the storyline to be a bit too predictable. Still up among the best racers though. Could cars crash out of races like the original? That was one of the main draws for me, the fact that it wasn't just your car that could crash out of a race but others too, made the championships less predictable.
They never retire due to effects of a crash unfortunately.

The original ps1 toca games will always be my favourite as I have been a touring cars fan since the 80s

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Rayne wrote:Gears of War: Judgement. I absolutely loved this game from start to finish. Each 'level' was broken up into 6 or 7 challenge segments, each with varying difficulty levels and extra variants.

Unlike most skill-based shooters you aren't judged on variation or how long it takes to complete a section. So if I wanted to take a long time expertly sniping, I'd still earn top marks which is great, as most other shooters that try this leave you pressured to use EVERY weapon and kill method as FAST as possible.

I've jumped into the online mode and found it very varied. Over-run is a great attack/defence game, very balanced and it's very cool getting to play as the different locust species. Also having a lot of fun on Domination. Level 32 right now, going to keep going till I cap out at 50 8)

Afraid I'm not feeling the love so far, I really like the main series but this feels more like DLC. Whilst we're at it, why on earth did they swap the buttons around and are already familiar with enemies that were only introduced in Gears 2 and 3?

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Devil May Cry PS4, took 10hrs but loved every minute!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Rayne wrote:Gears of War: Judgement. I absolutely loved this game from start to finish. Each 'level' was broken up into 6 or 7 challenge segments, each with varying difficulty levels and extra variants.

Afraid I'm not feeling the love so far, I really like the main series but this feels more like DLC. Whilst we're at it, why on earth did they swap the buttons around and are already familiar with enemies that were only introduced in Gears 2 and 3?
The button swapping took me a few levels to finally get used to, the main reason behind it is to limit how many weapons you can use at any one time.

The campaign comes in at about 7 hours with a LOT of re-playability, then there's all the online modes to try. One area may be a warehouse with roaming tickers and heavy maulers. That's tough. Up the difficulty and you now have wretches and a few grinders. Add the Declassified mod and suddenly there's next to no visibility and you have to tackle it all with just a sawed-off shotgun.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:12 am

Zelda 2 Adventure of Link for the NES. I expected it to take me longer to finish, I also expected it to be much harder. Not that it wasn't challenging in places, but really the tough bit was getting the feel of the combat down, after that I was able to take out enemies and bosses with relative ease. I enjoyed every second of it, its easily one of my favourite games in the series now.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Recently I completed Valkyria Chronicles II for PSP. Not a patch on the original in any respect but still extremely enjoyable. There seems to be a generous serving of post-game content and bonus units so I'm making my way through that now.

Also completed all of the story modes in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax which isn't really an achievement at all but again, it was very enjoyable. Catching up with the P3 and P4 characters again for a new story was like catching up with old friends. Annoyingly, it seems you can't hit 100% without purchasing the DLC characters and the story modes that come with them. This isn't too big an issue as I always planned to buy them anyway as I really enjoy Ultimax and want to try out all of the characters but I currently have nothing in my PSN wallet so it'll have to wait.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Persona 3 FES. FINALLY. I've been playing it for so long and so thoroughly that it feels like a real achievement. I've thoroughly enjoyed it too. After losing to the final boss after a two hour match, I grinded up to such a high level that it became way too easy! Also what a great ending to the story. If someone could figure out away to erase my memories of this game from my head so I can experience its brilliance again fresh, I would greatly appreciate that. :P
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Rayne wrote:The button swapping took me a few levels to finally get used to, the main reason behind it is to limit how many weapons you can use at any one time.

The campaign comes in at about 7 hours with a LOT of re-playability, then there's all the online modes to try. One area may be a warehouse with roaming tickers and heavy maulers. That's tough. Up the difficulty and you now have wretches and a few grinders. Add the Declassified mod and suddenly there's next to no visibility and you have to tackle it all with just a sawed-off shotgun.

Still seems a bit odd given that you could only ever have two main weapons and a sidearm before, but hey ho. I'm still trying to do Geas 3 multiplayer (except Seriously 3.0, censored that for a game of soldiers) so don't really fancy doing it all again and having to buy the DLC

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:12 am

After years I finally finished Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine.
A great puzzler but Dr Robotnik is an absolute sod.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:26 pm

Space Holiday wrote:Persona 3 FES. FINALLY. I've been playing it for so long and so thoroughly that it feels like a real achievement. I've thoroughly enjoyed it too. After losing to the final boss after a two hour match, I grinded up to such a high level that it became way too easy! Also what a great ending to the story. If someone could figure out away to erase my memories of this game from my head so I can experience its brilliance again fresh, I would greatly appreciate that. :P
Have you beaten 'The Answer' as well? It's another way to not say goodbye to the game :P . I'd also recommend Persona 3 Portable too; it doesn't include 'The Answer' but choosing to play as the girl alters certain S-Links and relationships plus there is new music.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:52 pm

OK, so i've finished the Killzone: Mercenaries campaign. What an ace little game, i thoroughly enjoyed it and i'll no doubt keep going back to it on harder difficulty levels as well as giving the multiplayer a whirl.....even if i do get my butt handed to me on a platter. Still got loads of weapons and gadgets to unlock too, so that'll keep me busy! :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:53 am

nokgod wrote:OK, so i've finished the Killzone: Mercenaries campaign. What an ace little game, i thoroughly enjoyed it and i'll no doubt keep going back to it on harder difficulty levels as well as giving the multiplayer a whirl.....even if i do get my butt handed to me on a platter. Still got loads of weapons and gadgets to unlock too, so that'll keep me busy! :)
Yup! Killzone really is a Vita system seller, it never got the attention it really deserved. Multiplayer is a lot of fun and quite easy to get into :)

TMNT - Beat the story, time attack and survival modes and fully upgraded all the turtles. Presentation was awful, development was clearly rushed on a shoe-string budget and the whole thing was practically an insult to good video games everywhere. That said, I love scrolling beat em ups and this one was so easy, it was kind of nice to turn off my brain and constantly be rewarded with success and achievements :lol:

Poker Night at the Inventory 2 - Unlocked all of the additional skins (and Borderlands 2 content!), completed all bounties and got all of the achievements. I had a real blast with this, it was extremely funny and ran just fine. Gonna organize an actual poker game with the lads now 8)