What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:28 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Conan on PS2. As a big fan of the original Robert E. Howards books, I think this game captures the spirit of Conan a lot better than the later PS3 game by THQ and I liked the authenticity. However, it's still really not a great game at all. The camera is awful at times, movement control spazzes out now and then and it's just generally a dull, repetitive game to play. Not being able to save without a 'Sacred Stone' item is also a pain.

Another random thing is that you can build an Atlantean sword by collecting four parts scattered throughout the game. None of these parts are hard to find and with this sword, the last few levels are ridiculously easy since the sword kills everything in one hit. I even wiped out the final boss with one random swipe :roll:

Are there any good Conan games?
What weapon did you use on the ice golems with clubs? I found a piece of the Atleantan sword but those 2 mace wielding golems killed me and killed me again in heaven then game over as I never saved with the stone
.. There just after the big worm or whatever that thing is, the weapons seem weak and don't have enough experience for como's
First of all, I played the game on the easiest setting. It can be clunky and frustrating at times so I didn't feel guilty :) . I did try it on the medium difficulty to begin with but kept getting killed by the wolves in the first area.

Any big or armoured enemies need to be attacked with either a mace or axe weapon (I believe you get the first mace before you fight any golems). I don't think there is any way to dodge the worm's attacks but as long as you can manage to keep winning the battles in 'heaven' then you'll be restored to the spot constantly and gradually be able to kill the boss.

I found it quite easy to get through the earlier stages with just the basic X, X or X,O combos or whatever then my exp built up and I gradually learnt most of the other moves. Later on you get so much exp that it's easy to level up.

On the Atlantean sword, there are only four pieces but only the third one is possible to miss really. Without ruining the game (if you are still playing), you will come to a market area later on and the third piece is in an alleyway behind a building. The others pieces seem to be picked up after beating bosses or in places where you are passing through anyway but that third piece is possible to miss if you can't be bothered to explore all of the market.

Hope that helps :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Conan on PS2. As a big fan of the original Robert E. Howards books, I think this game captures the spirit of Conan a lot better than the later PS3 game by THQ and I liked the authenticity. However, it's still really not a great game at all. The camera is awful at times, movement control spazzes out now and then and it's just generally a dull, repetitive game to play. Not being able to save without a 'Sacred Stone' item is also a pain.

Another random thing is that you can build an Atlantean sword by collecting four parts scattered throughout the game. None of these parts are hard to find and with this sword, the last few levels are ridiculously easy since the sword kills everything in one hit. I even wiped out the final boss with one random swipe :roll:

Are there any good Conan games?
What weapon did you use on the ice golems with clubs? I found a piece of the Atleantan sword but those 2 mace wielding golems killed me and killed me again in heaven then game over as I never saved with the stone
.. There just after the big worm or whatever that thing is, the weapons seem weak and don't have enough experience for como's
First of all, I played the game on the easiest setting. It can be clunky and frustrating at times so I didn't feel guilty :) . I did try it on the medium difficulty to begin with but kept getting killed by the wolves in the first area.

Any big or armoured enemies need to be attacked with either a mace or axe weapon (I believe you get the first mace before you fight any golems). I don't think there is any way to dodge the worm's attacks but as long as you can manage to keep winning the battles in 'heaven' then you'll be restored to the spot constantly and gradually be able to kill the boss.

I found it quite easy to get through the earlier stages with just the basic X, X or X,O combos or whatever then my exp built up and I gradually learnt most of the other moves. Later on you get so much exp that it's easy to level up.

On the Atlantean sword, there are only four pieces but only the third one is possible to miss really. Without ruining the game (if you are still playing), you will come to a market area later on and the third piece is in an alleyway behind a building. The others pieces seem to be picked up after beating bosses or in places where you are passing through anyway but that third piece is possible to miss if you can't be bothered to explore all of the market.

Hope that helps :)
Same here I put it on normal and was surprised how hard it was getting killed by wolfs who could damage you when you blocked, but where immune to damage when they blocked... That worm was a case of trading hits as there was no dodge move and it homed in on you.. Only being able to carry 1 of each health potion was also an annoyance... Makes sense why the sword was doing almost no damage to those ice golems.. Shame really as it felt like a Conan game just the overly hard fights, (Red Ninja)bad camera and routes that you could barely see or appeared to be part of the scenery spoils it
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:23 am

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. Freebie on PS+, played it before, dont remember the stealth being quite so bloomin' difficult!

David

Post by David » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:58 am

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

In true 90s fashion the last few levels were just repeated boss battles but still good fun and the bazooka in it is brilliant

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:30 am

Well after a year of starting it, I finally completed Last of Us. longest time to compelte a game I think. lol

As for the game, loved it. Even more so for the fact that something I expected to happen in the story, did not, which made me even more happier :)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:18 pm

South Park: The stick of truth.

Absolutely brilliant!

David

Post by David » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:49 pm

The Punisher - CPS1

Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Amazing selection of weapons in the game

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Finished off Megaman 3 on the 3DS. Finally after many attempts I finally finished the game without dying once. Now onto Megaman 4...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Minerals

Post by Minerals » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Completed Windjammers on Neo Geo CD today, took me about 5 goes to beat the last boss though. Such a great game.

Also completed Infamous: Second Son on PS4 over the weekend, for some reason i had saved it just before the final boss about 4 months ago and never gone back to it. Wasnt too hard once you learned the pattern.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Quake 4 on Lieutenant difficulty - actually better than I remembered and not as hard as I was expecting so makes me wish they'd make number 5. Shame about the instantly vanishing bodies (yes I know it was a technical limitation, but I want to leave a trail of destruction,) crap ending and silent protagonist, which doesn't work if you have third person cutscenes since he just stands there looking gormless

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Finished Shadow of Mordor with 1000g as I really enjoyed it, a great story and the achievements where easy... Downside was no boss fights as such, just Orc Captains and Warchiefs who all died almost as easily as normal Orks, as Talion and the Wraith are too overpowered - particularly the wraith stun/sword combo and the insane of amount of damage/hit counter they dealt...

Other than Orc's Warchiefs the only boss fight against was a quick time event against something that looked like the Rancor Monster from Star Wars and Ghouls Matron.. Sauron turned up in his mask and armour on various occasions but mostly just gave women and kids a beating, the finale was a short quick time event against an Elf who sucked the Wraiths soul into himself and became Sauron's armour .. On LOTR rings film when Sauron had the one ring cut from his finger his armour fell to the floor.. I assume the game takes place after Hobbit :?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:24 am

ShadowMan wrote:Finished off Megaman 3 on the 3DS. Finally after many attempts I finally finished the game without dying once. Now onto Megaman 4...
Gah, how did you manage that with the 3DS' horrid, tiny, clicky d-pad? Not to mention the awkward button mapping - I find even Super Mario Bros is a chore on there. Mind you, I suppose you don't need to hold down a button while pushing another in Megaman as much as you do in SMB.

David

Post by David » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:36 am

Working my way through Mario 3 as I couldn't beat the last few levels when I was a kid

Bloody hell dont remember it being this difficult

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Yes Prime Minister on the Amstrad, via emulation. Like most Mosaic games it's just a series of multiple choice questions dressed up as a game, there's no way to lose, but it's very well written, and more fun than it should be, theres something really satisfying about getting that extra % on your approval rating.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:02 pm

theantmeister wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Finished off Megaman 3 on the 3DS. Finally after many attempts I finally finished the game without dying once. Now onto Megaman 4...
Gah, how did you manage that with the 3DS' horrid, tiny, clicky d-pad? Not to mention the awkward button mapping - I find even Super Mario Bros is a chore on there. Mind you, I suppose you don't need to hold down a button while pushing another in Megaman as much as you do in SMB.
The D Pad was ok for me as were the buttons. For MM4, 5 and 6 though its not worth it on the 3DS as like you say its a nightmare to hold the shot button down to charge your buster while also running and jumping at the same time. It feels very uncomfortable. It took me months to do though, the pro of having the game on the 3DS was that I could just boot the game up when I felt like it and give it a quick play to see how far I got on 1 life.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*