So, Who's getting a Pandora?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:15 am

C=Style wrote:Blurring and hardware filtering, I cannot stand.
Same here, but I have to say I've been very impressed with the re-scaling/filtering on some of the emulators on PSP I've been trying lately.

Stainy

Yeah me

Post by Stainy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:17 am

I`ve just ordered one. about an hour ago !!

I`m in :)

...waiting

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 am

when do people start getting these? has the amiga screen resolution issue been resolved yet?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:22 pm

pforson wrote:when do people start getting these? has the amiga screen resolution issue been resolved yet?
Later this month is still the target for the first deliveries, apparently, although due to a shortage in LCD screens some of the pre-orders might have to wait until next year.

I haven't a clue what they'll do with regards to screen resolutions although, given that the LCD is fixed at 800x480, it'll need to be sorted out in software.

They have increased the RAM in the design to 256MB though which makes running Linux applications in a window environment a real possibility on it.

Vir_Lucis

Re: Yeah me

Post by Vir_Lucis » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Stainy wrote:I`ve just ordered one. about an hour ago !!

...waiting
Where did you order one? i thought they were all sold out - do you have to wait until the second batch?
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

Matt_B

Re: Yeah me

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote:
Stainy wrote:I`ve just ordered one. about an hour ago !!

...waiting
Where did you order one? i thought they were all sold out - do you have to wait until the second batch?
Going by the dates, I'm guessing that he just got his order in before the cut-off. Given that the first batch looks like it'll now stretch into January, there'll presumably be quite a long wait for the second one.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Really looking forward to these and hope they are a success.

However i'm staying well clear until theyre out there, established and have a fair few emulators working on them after my GP2X disaster a few years back.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 am

Hmm heard about this re-order fiasco.

Seems a pain, do you have to cancel your original order and then purchase it again ?

If theres no price difference because of the extra memory why do you have to faff around doing this ?

Read that they sent..

"If you want to help us out in paying for the upgrade the best way is to place your order via a bank transfer, as this is free within the UK - with debit and credit card orders the bank takes a fee."

Paranoid i know but are they trying to persuade more people to pay directly with a bank transfer ? Sounds dodgy. Brand new bit of kit (still not built yet) and they want you to use a bank transfer which isnt as safe as a credit card in case things go t*ts up.

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 am

For bitter experience , always use a credit card !!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 am

Yeah i know what you mean ! Just been conned by a website who havent sent the item, the phone number isnt working, dont answer emails. Thankfully got the item on a credit card so its being cancelled now, phoned trading standards.

The shops with http://www.ekmpowershop.com/ as they host it, emailed them about this dodgy crook but usual BS blurb from the host company which isnt good. Cant believe they wont cancel this shop which theyre hosting, seen lots of other people comment that they havent been sent their item, disgusting.

The 'company' have a PO Box address and like i say their head office number doesnt exist after i tried ringing it. Gutted

Anyway sorry back to the Pandora, i just cant wait to see a fully working one. Then i'll get one in the next batch for sure

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:25 pm

I'm very interested in Pandora and may consider getting one. My only complaint so far is like a few others have mentioned - the positioning of the buttons and D-pad. I honestly can't see that being very comfortable after a few minutes play... Perhaps it would have been better to have the keyboard at the top and the D-pad 'n buttons down below...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 am

Whats the latest with this ?

I read there was an issue with the payment so you had to re-order because they changed banks or something ? Read a few people lost out to the exchange rate.

Thought they were being released end of Nov ? Whats the latest date now ?

I do want this to do well, i'll buy one in the second batch when theyre out and working fine with lots of emulators etc

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:05 pm

psj3809 wrote:Whats the latest with this ?

I read there was an issue with the payment so you had to re-order because they changed banks or something ? Read a few people lost out to the exchange rate.

Thought they were being released end of Nov ? Whats the latest date now ?

I do want this to do well, i'll buy one in the second batch when theyre out and working fine with lots of emulators etc
According to the development blog:

"So, as you might've guessed, we can't deliver the final units end of November. It might even take until 2009 - but we won't say any date yet. With all those delays the various manufacturers had, it's nigh impossible to give out a date. But we're really working hard to make it as soon as possible! Promised!"

So, it's probably best not to count on anyone getting one before Christmas.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:08 pm

My biggest concern is that the font used on the keyboard looks censored censored, but I'm still going to buy one anyway (probably).
Like psj said, not until (at least) the second batch, though..
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:34 pm

I'm gonna get one but only IF C64 and Amiga emulation is pretty much everything I'm expecting it to be and more. If it fails in this area then I'm gonna stick with my PSP which I find does everything I want, I'm very happy with it.