So, Who's getting a Pandora?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:04 am

From what I can gather, they took a deliberate decision not to build any complete prototypes as one-offs of some of the components cost nearly as much as a full production run of them. I'm sure that this saved a ton of money, but fingers crossed that they don't run into any unforeseen problems at the last minute because of this.

Anyway, good luck to those pre-ordering today; fingers crossed and you might just get a working unit in time for Christmas. :wink:

coevin

Post by coevin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:33 am

Well ive taken the gamble i really hope it pays off. The scene is excellant i just hope it avoids the simpls mistakes gp2x made i.e censored controls. But the gamble will be worth it even if its just for swos and cannon fodder on the go mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:58 am

Cool, glad to hear you pre ordered one. Please keep us all updated as i'm sure many of us are tempted.

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:20 am

Tempted but being sensible at the moment...

Madge

Post by Madge » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Ordered mine yesterday. :D
Can't even get on their forum today, I think the Digg and Slashdot attention has done for the servers. Hopefully we will see some Pandora coverage in the magazine, especially the homebrew section.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

rupert

Post by rupert » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:17 pm

I got the pre-order email but resisted as I've already spent too much on Master System items for my collection this month (about £200+).

Gonna see how others rate it first. My other issue is that I hardly seem to touch my DS despite buying new games for it :roll:

Madge

Post by Madge » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:54 pm

There is an encouraging update on openpandora.org saying that 2,000 of the planned initial 3,000 units were sold within six hours despite the server problems. They are now investigating the possibility of increasing the size of the first batch to 4,000.

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:54 am

daaaamn! :shock:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:45 am

Hmm, hope there's a chance of me getting a unit for Christmas! It's the only thing I really want this year. :x

boyo

Post by boyo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:09 am

C=Style wrote:Hmm, hope there's a chance of me getting a unit for Christmas! It's the only thing I really want this year. :x
Realistically, what are the chances?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:51 am

I dunno, zilch?

Madge

Post by Madge » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:23 am

Even if the initial run is increased (look for updates on their site tomorrow) it looks like demand is waaay higher than expected, so you're pretty much screwed if you want to preorder.
It's not all bad though - they will make more next year when the main production phase begins, by which time there should be a good library of emulators and homebrew games available.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:14 pm

I've just read through most of this thread, and had a quick look at the Pandora.

One thing I'd be very concerned about is that it seems to have been designed with Amiga emulation partially in mind, but the screen isn't even as high resolution as the Amiga's. Now you might be thinking "But games were almost always in 256 lines 'non-laced' screens", but to fill the screen it will have to double the lines to keep the pixels perfect. So it will either have to lose the bottom of the screen, squash the picture and blur it all by doing so, or have to run all games in NTSC mode which would be very annoying as you lose a big chunk of the game screen (and is that even possible with every game?)

wil hood

Post by wil hood » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:34 pm

they are taking preorders for the pandora until sunday, and production starts next week,so anyone wanting to preorder should go to openpandora.org now

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:44 am

necronom wrote:I've just read through most of this thread, and had a quick look at the Pandora.

One thing I'd be very concerned about is that it seems to have been designed with Amiga emulation partially in mind, but the screen isn't even as high resolution as the Amiga's. Now you might be thinking "But games were almost always in 256 lines 'non-laced' screens", but to fill the screen it will have to double the lines to keep the pixels perfect. So it will either have to lose the bottom of the screen, squash the picture and blur it all by doing so, or have to run all games in NTSC mode which would be very annoying as you lose a big chunk of the game screen (and is that even possible with every game?)
Could it not implement a scanline software filter?

Everything for me hinges on C64/Amiga emulation, that is my only reason for Pandora. if the emulators run at 60hz then I won't be investing. I can deal with the bottom of the screen being cut off as that's just how the Amiga was. Blurring and hardware filtering, I cannot stand.