So, Who's getting a Pandora?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:50 pm

I think the keyboard looks rubbish, the italic font is bizarre and the bloody kerning is all wrong on the pics I saw.

I'm hoping that's just a mock-up, since it's really quite difficult to actually f'kup the goddamn keyboard decals of all things...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Pandora - man, she is ugly!
I repeat!!!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:20 am

psj3809 wrote:My missus also wants a pink laptop (wants a sony) but no way is she getting that just for facebook/surfing etc.
Well mine want's a netbook for the same reasons facebook/surfing, but she dosn't want a laptop because that won't fit into her work bag!
Women have an entirely different take on things :lol:

psj3809 wrote:I hope the Pandora does everything it promises to, could be brilliant, buttons/design looks bad but perhaps its not as bad as some of us think.
Which is why i won't be getting it just now. Nothing OpenSource has realy taken off so far. I think I may be better modding the @r$ out of a PSP!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:56 pm

As with most new systems i think the bottom line has to be that its best not to early adopt, give it a few months then wade in.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:34 am

But if you do decide to get one on release there will be be plenty to tinker around with as developers have had the devkits for quite some time so emulators will be available from the get go.

I'm looking forward to it, but having since got my 8gb card up and running on my PSP I'm finding it more powerful than I initially thought with full speed CPS1/2, PS1, Megadrive, GBA etc etc

For example: playing Ridge Racer Type 4, Gran Turismo 2 and Dino Crisis 2 back to back with Marvel vs Capcom, Streetfighter Alpha 3 and Dimahoo (I mean seriously how awesome is that!) makes me wonder if I even need another handheld now. Although to be fair the Pandora has always appealed to me for accurate Commodore 64/Amiga emulation more than anything else.

Stainy

Yeah

Post by Stainy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:23 am

I`m seriously with you on the Amiga/C64 emulation.. Notaz is doing those :) and seeing as he`s got Ubuntu running on it ( latest video blog ) things are looking tasty indeed!!

I don`t need AGA and HDD emulation.. just give me an almost perfect A500 emulator.. with fast adf loading and I`m done :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:14 am

One thing I have noticed on all handheld platforms that I've played C64 emu's on like the GP2X and PSP is that there is a slight screen judder which suggests the screen is running at 60hz (?) as it looks just like the scrolling when using WinVice on a PC monitor rather than a 50hz TV set. I hope that the Pandora addresses this issue as both the C64 and Amiga were capable of liquid smooth scrolling and having that judder is really off putting. I also hope the Pandora has a nice clean LCD image with a quick refresh rate & minimal smeering.
Last edited by C=Style on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:26 am

I think I have already decided I will get one of these. I am a sucker for new tech and this ticks all the right boxes.

I bought a GP2x and hated it. Sold it on within 2 weeks - the control stick on it was one of the worst I had ever used with my thumb slipping off it pretty much all of the time. With the Pandora, I can use a USB joystick if need be - so a result and it lowers the risk of me not liking it. I absolutely loved the GP32 though, and one has to wonder how they then got it so wrong with the GP2x.

Watched some of the vidoes on Youtube of the Megadrive and Amiga emulator. Also watched Quake 2 being played.

Getting a buzz about this little console.

Matt_B

Re: Yeah

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:04 am

Stainy wrote:I`m seriously with you on the Amiga/C64 emulation.. Notaz is doing those :) and seeing as he`s got Ubuntu running on it ( latest video blog ) things are looking tasty indeed!!
Don't get too excited about Ubuntu on the Pandora. Whilst it's an impressive technical achievement to get it running at all, it seems very slow, the screen is rather cramped and a lot of the more advanced features aren't working. That said, there's no reason why the Pandora shouldn't fly along with a suitably lightweight Linux.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:11 am

boyo wrote:With the Pandora, I can use a USB joystick if need be - so a result and it lowers the risk of me not liking it
Not the best selling point though!

"The controls are crap but you can plug in a UBS joystick into this portable, hand-held system - assuming you carry one round with you - and perhaps you can rest in on your knees, just like a laptop"
:wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 am

Well todays the pre order day and as Boyo pointed out to me their websites already gone down !

http://www.openpandora.org/

Apparently tons of people accessing the site, reported to be 23k subscribers ! Hope the machine does well, i'll still wait though but good news.

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:23 am

Newsletter to go out 2:00pm BST to tell the 23k UK subscribers how to pre-order.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:24 am

Surprised at how many people are on the list ! Still want to see a video of a working one with games etc but a great start.

Can only be good news as if other companies see this and the interest generated then they may try to do a rival, more the merrier.

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:31 am

Youtube is your friend - look up Pandora. Told you that about 50 million times now... :roll:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:32 am

Yeah seen a few videos but i just want to see a final version of one. The ones i've seen it seems half built etc. I'll pre order perhaps once i see a final version, not before really.