So, Who's getting a Pandora?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26630
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: ....

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:21 am

elmosexwhistle wrote:holy crap! so i could have a fully functioning version of Octamed in my pocket, to take around everywhere and annoy people with?

hot.
You can do that on a PSP already if you're prepared to settle for the ST version. Tracker files are cross platform, so you can work on the move and play back on the miggy/PC at home for higher quality.

On that note, have you seen the commercial Korg synth cartridge for the DS? I've been having a play with it this week and its a stunning bit of kit. Coincidentally, it made me think of trackers as many of its functions are similar.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3221
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:53 am

Matt_B wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I'll rephrase (because I like the screen size on eePC).

How does Pandora compare to one of those in performance and spec terms?
In terms of spec, it's not even close with only a 600MHz CPU and 128MB RAM, although it might give some of the lower end netbooks (e.g. Elonex One, OLPC XO-1) a run for their money.
Has anyone got an Elonex One? I was thinking of getting one of these as part of christmas for the wife.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:14 pm

GarryG wrote:Has anyone got an Elonex One? I was thinking of getting one of these as part of christmas for the wife.
I've not got one but I've had a go on it and, whilst it's certainly not bad for the money, I don't think I'd be inclined to give one to my wife as a present; it's bug-ugly, slow and very much the poor person's netbook. Basically, it's one for the kids, although they'd probably prefer an Eee PC too.

There's a review of it here that I'd largely agree with:
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/compute ... k-computer

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Re: ....

Post by C=Style » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:59 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
On that note, have you seen the commercial Korg synth cartridge for the DS? I've been having a play with it this week and its a stunning bit of kit. Coincidentally, it made me think of trackers as many of its functions are similar.
It is a powerful piece of kit considering, and would love to spend some quality time with it to see what kind of results I can get. Must do that someday. I've always enjoyed making music, from sampler software like Amiga's Stereomaster and Technosound Turbo to Music 2000 on PS1 right up to Fruity Loops and Reason 4.0 on PC. :)
Image

User avatar
elmosexwhistle
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:34 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: ....

Post by elmosexwhistle » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
elmosexwhistle wrote:holy crap! so i could have a fully functioning version of Octamed in my pocket, to take around everywhere and annoy people with?

hot.
You can do that on a PSP already if you're prepared to settle for the ST version. Tracker files are cross platform, so you can work on the move and play back on the miggy/PC at home for higher quality.

On that note, have you seen the commercial Korg synth cartridge for the DS? I've been having a play with it this week and its a stunning bit of kit. Coincidentally, it made me think of trackers as many of its functions are similar.
im not too sure how the PSP tracker thing would work, i mean, there's no keyboard, so how would i put all the hex control signals in? and yeah, the DS Korg thing looks very interesting, i'm pretty sure it'd make train journeys fly by...as usually once i start messing with anything synth i end up wondering where the last 6 hours went...lol x
+I..AM..ERROR+

psj3809
Posts: 18738
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:19 pm

The Pandora is very tempting but i want to wait till its released and get one once its got working emulators and other games etc.

I love small gadgets, best one i have is the oQo .... www.oqo.com . Play Half Life on it and Red Alert II, and work stuff !

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26630
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: ....

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:17 pm

elmosexwhistle wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
elmosexwhistle wrote:holy crap! so i could have a fully functioning version of Octamed in my pocket, to take around everywhere and annoy people with?

hot.
You can do that on a PSP already if you're prepared to settle for the ST version. Tracker files are cross platform, so you can work on the move and play back on the miggy/PC at home for higher quality.

On that note, have you seen the commercial Korg synth cartridge for the DS? I've been having a play with it this week and its a stunning bit of kit. Coincidentally, it made me think of trackers as many of its functions are similar.
im not too sure how the PSP tracker thing would work, i mean, there's no keyboard, so how would i put all the hex control signals in? and yeah, the DS Korg thing looks very interesting, i'm pretty sure it'd make train journeys fly by...as usually once i start messing with anything synth i end up wondering where the last 6 hours went...lol x
You map keys to pads/buttons and/or use the on screen keyboard. Analogue works the mouse pointer. Not ideal, but it works. Touch screen would be better, but I don't think there's a decent emu for it yet on DS.

I almost missed my station with the Korg last week.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3221
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:57 am

Matt_B wrote:
GarryG wrote:Has anyone got an Elonex One? I was thinking of getting one of these as part of christmas for the wife.
I've not got one but I've had a go on it and, whilst it's certainly not bad for the money, I don't think I'd be inclined to give one to my wife as a present; it's bug-ugly, slow and very much the poor person's netbook. Basically, it's one for the kids, although they'd probably prefer an Eee PC too.

There's a review of it here that I'd largely agree with:
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/compute ... k-computer
Hmmm, I think it's mainly that she heard it came in pink ;)

Web surfing (Re, shopping!) and E-mail, chat, facebook etc, and some basic notes/spredsheets are about all she would ever use it for; although if it runs MS or MD Sonic games under emulation, that would be a big Plus ;)

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:33 am

GarryG wrote:Hmmm, I think it's mainly that she heard it came in pink ;)
Haha. That doesn't surprise me. Perhaps you should tell her that the Eee PC comes in pink too and looks rather less like a toy?
Web surfing (Re, shopping!) and E-mail, chat, facebook etc, and some basic notes/spredsheets are about all she would ever use it for; although if it runs MS or MD Sonic games under emulation, that would be a big Plus ;)
It'll do most of that; just very slowly and without the likes of flash or java. I haven't heard of anyone porting any emulators to it yet though, although if hordes of schoolchildren are going to be using them that's probably only a matter of time.

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3221
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:36 am

I've just had a quick Google, the ASUS eee PC and ACER range looks good. looks like you could be getting a better looking machine with a bit more oomph, for very little extra cost (in some cases) :D

Didn't realise there were so many of the 'netbook' type devices out there already!

User avatar
adrianbean
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:32 am
Location: Bradford, England.
Contact:

Post by adrianbean » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 am

It seems to tick all the boxes, except

IT'S GODDAMN AWFUL DESIGN !

Once again, another hand-held has got it wrong.

I mean, just look where the controller and fire buttons are. And what's with the keyboard ?? Did a child of 3 somehow get his hands on the final design blueprint and nobody noticed ??

User avatar
adrianbean
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:32 am
Location: Bradford, England.
Contact:

Post by adrianbean » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:54 am

Sorry, forgot to add.

How come us Brits are paying more than the yanks again ??

Only saving grace is that the rest of Europe will be paying about the same as us.

User avatar
RocketRanger
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:32 am

Post by RocketRanger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:23 pm

adrianbean wrote: Once again, another hand-held has got it wrong.

I mean, just look where the controller and fire buttons are. And what's with the keyboard ?? Did a child of 3 somehow get his hands on the final design blueprint and nobody noticed ??
I wouldn't be so sure, this was designed by enthusiasts who put allot of thought into where the controls should be. It was certainly not designed by comity and, for a change, designed to suit western hands. Maybe reserve judgment until some units have gone into production. From what I gather, those who have handled the prototypes at various trade events have reported it should handle very nicely.

psj3809
Posts: 18738
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:29 pm

GarryG wrote:I've just had a quick Google, the ASUS eee PC and ACER range looks good. looks like you could be getting a better looking machine with a bit more oomph, for very little extra cost (in some cases) :D

Didn't realise there were so many of the 'netbook' type devices out there already!
Yeah a lot of good netbooks out there, check out the Advent 4211 (275 quid) which is pretty powerful for a small netbook and i think it works very well.

My missus also wants a pink laptop (wants a sony) but no way is she getting that just for facebook/surfing etc.
RocketRanger wrote: I wouldn't be so sure, this was designed by enthusiasts who put allot of thought into where the controls should be. It was certainly not designed by comity and, for a change, designed to suit western hands. Maybe reserve judgment until some units have gone into production. From what I gather, those who have handled the prototypes at various trade events have reported it should handle very nicely.
I do think the Pandora looks dog ugly but i have faith in the team who are creating it as its good they are 'one of us' so to speak. The latest GP offering was ridiculous with another d-pad in the corner instead of fire buttons etc. Think theyre changing that.

I hope the Pandora does everything it promises to, could be brilliant, buttons/design looks bad but perhaps its not as bad as some of us think.

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Post by C=Style » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah I do agree it does look a bit ugly but at the same time it looks RETRO!! Well to me anyway. None of these little notebook PC things look very nice in all honesty, what it's about though is how it feels. When I first saw the Pandora I thought it was well ugly but the more I see it the more I'm warming to it. Sure there's negatives to it, just like there is practically anything, but I believe the positive aspects of this wonderful machine outweigh them.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests