PES 2009 or FIFA 09?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which will you be buying?

PES 2009
47%
FIFA 09
50%
Both
3%

Total votes: 32

Sureshot

PES 2009 or FIFA 09?

Post by Sureshot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:49 pm

It's that time of year again and both of these are just around the corner (17/10 and 03/10 respectively) so I thought we should see who's buying what.

Personally, I'll be going for PES again this year. Every single year people say that FIFA is leaps and bounds ahead of its previous incarnations and every year I give it a chance to redeem itself but it just doesn't deliver the goods. Yes, it has all the licensing and generally looks pretty swish, but it just doesn't feel like a solid football game to me and never has in the past. In fact, I've just been trying out the demo of this year's incarnation and was wholly unimpressed (as usual) at the players seemlingly 'floating' around the pitch for want of a better word, on what appears to be a green carpet rather than grass while the dodgy default camera zoomed in and out all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, last year's PES was definitely not perfect, but it was still better than FIFA.

My gripes about PES 2009 so far are that there is no demo to - once again - satisfy my mind about which will be the greater game and that Wii version won't be out for a while. I also hope that Konami finally sort out online play this time around as it's been atrocious almost every previous incarnation. They'd also do well not to bollocks up the other console versions again as, while I'll be getting it on the PC anyway, I do play it on other machines around mates houses and so on so would prefer it if their ports are as good as the PC version was last year in comparison.

So, how about you lot?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:57 pm

Neither (obviously), though I do find the Wii version of PES' control scheme intriguing.

I'm surprised we've not seen other games (NBA perhaps?) adopt it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:20 pm

I am a FIFA man normally and after last years dire PES game I can't see it changing. The Euro 2008 game was great, so if they can enhance that and add club teams in I expect it to be really good. Though I understand they are starting from scratch with PES this year (can someone verify?). If so I will give it a try.

Not going to vote though as I will try both before I buy and gt the better one.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:28 pm

Going with FIFA '09 although the last FIFA i bought was '06, will be solely getting it for my after school game club for pupils (on the 360).

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Have always been a Pro Evo fan, it has consistently wiped the floor with FIFA. Yes the last PES was messed up ( but only on the latest gen, the PS2 version was very good ).

However........ due to the debacle of the 360 version of PES 2008 I will be checking the reviews of both games and maybe even renting them both from blockbuster before I buy one. From what I have read it looks like PES 2009 will get the series back on scratch but I'm willing to give the latest FIFA a go.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:25 pm

last year's PES was definitely not perfect, but it was still better than FIFA.
disagree completely. i've always been a pro evo player but last year i found the game so broken i sold it and bought Fifa which was far more fun.

this year i am watching the pennies so will wait for some reviews before deciding. have 2 mates with 360s now tho so if they crack and get 1 early i will have to follow the herd :D gettin my ass handed to me by strangers is no fun.

thl

Post by thl » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Definitely Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 for me.
Sureshot wrote:Personally, I'll be going for PES again this year. Every single year people say that FIFA is leaps and bounds ahead of its previous incarnations and every year I give it a chance to redeem itself but it just doesn't deliver the goods. Yes, it has all the licensing and generally looks pretty swish, but it just doesn't feel like a solid football game to me and never has in the past. In fact, I've just been trying out the demo of this year's incarnation and was wholly unimpressed (as usual) at the players seemlingly 'floating' around the pitch for want of a better word, on what appears to be a green carpet rather than grass while the dodgy default camera zoomed in and out all over the place.
Exactly. The FIFA series doesn't quite match the quality of the PES series. Although it has all the fully licensed team, it doesn't seem to improve the presentation and gameplay very often. What I dislike about the FIFA series is that the movements looked inaccurate and doesn't quite bring up the realism as much as we expected. Otherwise it's too plain, fake and lacked that creativity.
Sureshot wrote:Don't get me wrong, last year's PES was definitely not perfect, but it was still better than FIFA.
I had no problems with PES2008 as I thought it was brilliant and played it on the Xbox360 very often. However, I was disappointed with the PS3 version which was ruined by the terrible glitches and slowdown of framerates. Plus I believed this version was met with time constraints during development.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:36 am

thl wrote: Exactly. The FIFA series doesn't quite match the quality of the PES series. Although it has all the fully licensed team, it doesn't seem to improve the presentation and gameplay very often.
It may not improve that often but it is still 100 times better than PES ever has been. I could live with needing to patch for teams, kits etc. But I hate the menu system, commentary and overall presentation.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:04 am

I have played the demo of Fifa09......i think ill be getting Pes!

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:11 am

Ive been more than happy with every incantation of PES, never been keen of the gameplay in the Fifa games, still enjoying playing last years PES 2008, though i`ll have to buy 2009 as it might be the only way of seeing Robbie Keane score in a Liverpool shirt :lol:

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:43 am

SirClive wrote:
thl wrote: Exactly. The FIFA series doesn't quite match the quality of the PES series. Although it has all the fully licensed team, it doesn't seem to improve the presentation and gameplay very often.
It may not improve that often but it is still 100 times better than PES ever has been. I could live with needing to patch for teams, kits etc. But I hate the menu system, commentary and overall presentation.
I wouldn't say 100 times SirClive, it's on the pitch where it matters, and broken or not, PES still is better than FIFA in the crucial gameplay dept... it just feels better, I cannot put my finger on it but I tried FIFA 08 and have also downloaded the 09 demo, and as much as I like the 3rd person Ronaldinho shooting bit, the match part of it is still inferior...

Any road it's all down to individual preference of course.. :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 am

I will still buy PES - just don't like FIFA (other than the original on the SNES which was hillarious!)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:35 am

I've always preferred Pro Evo, but have not been enjoying it as much since number 6 on the PS2...

FIFA 08 was great fun (if short lived) on the Wii, the PS3 version was nicely polished but broken.

I've tried the FIFA 09 demo on PS3 and they seem to have fixed a lot of the bugs from 08. I love the fact they have all the officially licenced names and gameplay feels right. I just hope the online version is bug free...

scunny

Post by scunny » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:55 am

why is pes2008 considered so broken? I play it regularly on my 360, apart from the annoying bits where players run the ball out for throw ins and the occasional goalkeeping howler it is brilliant. Am i missing something? is it the online bit that is rubbish?

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:55 pm

I've always bought every release of Pro Evo as soon as I see a copy, except for PES 2008 of course. I am really hoping PES2009 it matches up to high expectations, since the rest of the series offered the most in depth and technical game of football that any football nut like myself could want. I admit that I was anti FIFA in the past, but if PES 2009 fails to deliver then I will be looking the FIFA way.