First computer game you actually bought?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:21 am

sscott wrote:Probably Zaxxon. Mr. Do! or Cosmic Avenger on the Colecovision, but I'm impressed with people who can sepcifically remember buying their first game (unless you were 27 or something that is!) :)
I guess it's because videogaming is, and long has been a big part of our lives. I can remember lots of gaming firsts. :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:39 am

The first 2 games I bought were for the Amstrad CPC, my sister and I knew we were getting a CPC with a load of Amsoft games for Chritmas. We went to Asda and bought a couple more games:

Dun Darach - I have really fond memories of this adventure game and I was really happy when I saw the Retro Gamer feature a few issues ago

Computer Classics - Some great games on this compilation, the highlight being Zynaps and Into the Eagles Nest:

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:51 am

gmintyfresh wrote: Dun Darach - I have really fond memories of this adventure game and I was really happy when I saw the Retro Gamer feature a few issues ago
My old boss did the CPC port of that, first day at work at Gargoyle and the Spectrum Z80 source was dumped on his desk and he was told "here, get that working on the Amstrad!".

Coop

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:55 am

Coopdevil wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote: Dun Darach - I have really fond memories of this adventure game and I was really happy when I saw the Retro Gamer feature a few issues ago
My old boss did the CPC port of that, first day at work at Gargoyle and the Spectrum Z80 source was dumped on his desk and he was told "here, get that working on the Amstrad!".

Coop
Amazing!!! It would explain the similarities between the two versions - he did a great job actually thinking about it I need to dig my CPC out.......

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:50 am

The first game I bought was Sentinal by Silversoft for the speccy & was a dammed hard game playing with the keyboard.
Then next I got luner jetman equally hard playing only just with the keyboard!
I got them both from a magazine shop in the early eighties.

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:08 am

Most of my Spectrum games when I was a kid, were owned by my brothers or (cough) copys.

If my memory is correct, I think the first game I bought was Rollcoaster on the Spectrum.
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

Family Fry

Post by Family Fry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:52 pm

First game I remember buying/playing was Mr. Puniverse vividly on C16, that was my first computer also, it began and I have never looked back since, always thought I was born at the right time.
8-16bit console era was just :D

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:44 am

Scooby1970 wrote:The first game I actually bought, out of my own money was Defender for the ZX81 for £1.99 in Boots. Wow! Was I excited, and at the time I thought it was an awesome conversion!

:) Mark
MINE TOO !!!

I was out on a boring day out to a department store in newcastle with my Ma and Sister looking at cushions or curtains or some other crap and found the electrical section with a basket full of zx81 games...after the normal nagging procedure that most kids are now expert in, My lovely ma gave in and let me choose Defender (was it by Quicksilver?)

The one thing I can vividly remember was that it was bought on a Sunday when most shops in this country were shut because of `god` or something to do with that.....

He looked down on me that day !!! even though he doesnt exist

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:08 am

I think the first game I ever bought myself with my little pocket money as a stupid, niaive, 5 year old who was heavily impressionable by TV shows at the time (can you tell its building up to an embarrasingly bad game!) was

The Flinstones on the C64! It was bloody aweful, but I loved it. As far as I remember, one of the levels involved painting a wall..........

:shock: :oops:

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:41 am

I believe the first game I bought with my own money was Kane by Mastertronic for the BBC Micro... Hated it! :(
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:27 am

First computer I owned was a ZX81 and the first game I remember buying was 3d Monster Maze. Stunning graphics (possibly the best ever on the ZX81).

I also remember buying Football Manager for it as well after being blown away by it when I went over to a friends house.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:50 am

fozmcfc wrote:Stunning graphics (possibly the best ever on the ZX81).
Definitely not, since some time later programmers worked out how to address the entire screen bitmap pixel-by-pixel, but it was definitely a major eye-opener as a six year old :D
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 am

That was either Monkey Island 2 at full price, or Spy vs Spy from a bargain bin. Both for the Amiga.

Unless you count buying from friends, in which case it was The Last Ninja 3 for Commodore 64.

damoxuk

Post by damoxuk » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:15 am

My 1st game I ever bought (with paper money :D) was Adventure for the Atari 2600. Damn that game was fun (yet hard as hell and weird) :D

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:23 am

This all reminds me of when I walked an 8 mile round trip to buy Kylie Minogue's first album, 'cos I couldn't afford it if I took the bus.... :oops:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip