First computer game you actually bought?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nezbutz

First computer game you actually bought?

Post by Nezbutz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:52 pm

We all know that piracy was rife in the playground, it was a simpler age and seemed so innocent!

But we all I hope managed to buy at least one game, what was your first?

One of my favorite memories was a trip to Manchester, they had a great computer shop on a row of shops called Hanging Ditch near the Corn Exchange, it was the first shop I remember having an Amiga with the bouncing ball demo, but anyway.....I walked in and saw a BBC with a side scrolling walking shooter with incredible graphics, it blew anythink I had seen on my mates Speccy or C64 out of the water. The game was Strykers Run.

In those days there were quite a few of these types of computer game shops. I didnt buy the game there and then but went for a wander round the other shops. When I got back to buy Strykers Run...they had sold out!!! I was devastated and had to spend my money (I was about 10 and £11.99 was a lot of money!) so I bought Galaforce.

All I can say is I got Strykers Run a few weeks later and played it for a few days, I still play Galaforce now!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:46 pm

First CONSOLE was an Atari 2600

First COMPUTER was Speccy 48k

I can say that in many ways they shaped my gaming future
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:46 pm

My first purchase was 2 games at once, Manic Miner and Booty for the Spectrum. Both great games that I still play now.

I had to buy something decent because the 10 games that I got free with my Spectrum 48k+ from Dixons were mostly crap....Tynesoft's 'Super Gran' was amongst them....:(
paranoid marvin wrote:First CONSOLE was an Atari 2600

I can say that in many ways they shaped my gaming future
Yeah, but what games did you buy first for them?
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Booty and Manic Miner .. an excellent start top your Speccy gaming

I know my first 2600 game was Atlantis , I THINK my frst Speccy game was Mugsy. Both titles are still 2of my favourites
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:07 pm

First game I purchased, although it was actually the 2nd game I got, was Astronut on the Spectrum, the other game being Jet Set Willy, it's by the same company and had the same style of characters on the front cover, it must just be like Jet Set Willy in space I thought. I don't think I ever managed to do a single screen on it :D
Splink!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:54 pm

I was a bit late on the speccy scene, got a +, and with it a load of old imagine games such as pedro, alchemist, zzoom, ah diddums...but the first games i actually bought for my spectrum were fighting warrior, chuckman (mastertronic rerelease) and a beau jolly compilation - the one that had sorceror of claymorgue castle, skool daze etc on it, with some birthday money. Kept me entertained for a while I seem to remember :D

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:38 pm

I remember excitedly running into the computer store, pocket money in hand, to buy my first game for my lovely new ZX81.

The guy behind the counter was quick to explain that there wasn't much for it any more and it was on the way out.

Dreams shattered.

Still, they had Psion's Flight Simulator. Looked great on the cassette inlay (the only one of the five tapes they had there WITH a colour inlay) but was perhaps a bit technical for a nine year old.
Still, my wobbly RAM pack at least allowed me to load it at least twice so that wasn't so bad.

2nd game was J.K.Greye's 1k Breakout. That ruled.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Although my first gaming machine was the Woody 2600 I was too young to be 'independently wealthy', so the first game I ever spent my own money on was for the ZX-81.

It's actually been very hard to recall what it was - easier to recall what it wasn't (not Flight Simulator, bought from Dixons out of desperation for new software, not Rocket Man bought by mail order from Software Farm...)

I'm going to have to half-cheat on this, but it's valid: the first game I ever bought was in fact a type-in listing from Sinclair Programs magazine (January 1984 - I still have the original battered and aging edition to hand, which I clearly recall buying at our local newsagents on Boxing day).

The first listing I got running was 'Buffalo Hunt' (or similar, it's not that close to hand...) so that's my answer.

[edit] I've just noticed the previous post covering some spookily familiar ground.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:47 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:First CONSOLE was an Atari 2600

Ditto!

First game I bought with my own cash would have been Kangaroo for the Atari 2600. From Epire Stores catalogue. £2 a week for probably 20 weeks!!!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:59 pm

The first game I clearly remember buying, and which I didn't have to type-in myself, was Frank N Stein from PSS software for the Speccy.

I bought this before I even owned a Speccy, however I knew I was getting one for Christmas - that's not to say I had an uncanny feeling about it, so much as I 'found' it in a cupboard and played on it on the sly whenever I could for a couple of months - how I didn't get caught I'll never know.

Frank N Stein was not an inspired purchase, but it predates my first copy of Crash magazine, so I knew no better.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:30 pm

That would probably be ether Alien Blits or Frogger for the VIC 20

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:44 pm

My first game was Adventure for the 2600, and I've still got it! Yay.
My first computer was actually a Pong console with two paddles and a light gun, I think it was a Binatone. But you didn't buy games for that, they were inbuilt.
Scott me up beamie!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:23 pm

First game I actually brought was second hand via the school playground, and it was A View to a Kill for the Commodore 64. The first game I brought in a shop was Dynamite Dux for the Amiga. I also remember there were two copies of the game on the shelf and one had the price 1 pound lower than the other(so guess which one I got) 8) .

welshy808

Post by welshy808 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:28 am

I first bought 2 Games for my 16k Spectrum

Arcadia – which was awesome for the time and I still play it today although my original tape dosn't load any more so I had to download it

Nightflight – which was crap and I don't even know what happened to it

Peace
Welshy

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:12 am

I had a Speccy, and a Master System soon after, while I was at school. The first, and indeed only games I actually bought myself until I left school were Speccy budget games with my paper round money. I believe the first one I bought for myself was Chronos. I still like it, and have enjoyed the remake given away free on one of the RG cover discs.