Worst game you've played - 2008

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gmintyfresh

Worst game you've played - 2008

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:38 pm

What's the worst game you've played so far this year?

Can be a new release or something a bit more retro, the only rule is that you thought it was cr@p in 2008.

New - Easy one this Turning Point Fall of Liberty. The game had such promise throughout development an interesting story, some cool weapons, and a distinct and unique look. Then in March the spell was broken when Turning Point limped into the market place, you should always beware the game that has £10 surgically removed from it on the day of release. Game had obviously bought load of stock of this rubbish and then realised when the reviews came in that they were going to have a lot of trouble dumping this game on their customers.

So what's wrong with it? Well graphically the game could have come out on the old Xbox, the game glitches to hell, the voice acting is laughable, the game is very linear, about 3 textures are used in the whole game, the story almost seems incidental, the control system is very fiddly, there is no variety in level design. In fact TPFL fails in every category and it would be easier and quicker to write what's actually right about the game.

Avoid!!

Retro - I'm normally very picky when it comes to buying Retro Games. I must admit I bought Tobal No. 1 on a recommendation from a friend and I didn't enjoy it at all. Like a lot of 3D PS1 games it's aged very badly and the combat system seems very simplistic compared its competition at the time - Tekken or VF. The game seems sadly lacking to me which is a shame because I wanted to like it because I quite like Square. I just feel disappointed by it the whole experience.

A special mention must go the Fatal Fury (360 Live) - b0ll0cks conversion!

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:44 pm

New
Turok Xbox 360
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Its just so bland.

Retro
Dragon's Lair
Possibly the worst game i have ever played.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Easy, by a country mile it is Smash Bros on the Wii.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:01 pm

New -
Probably GTA 4
IN B4 FAN BOYS

Retro -
I tryed to play the Atari 2600/VCS version of Double dragon the other day

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Has to be Mario Kart on the Wii for me, retro wise is Astro Fighter that we played in the league.
Splink!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:33 pm

New:
Lost Via Domus - I love the show, and the fact the game was disapointing was really no surprise but what was surprising was how little gameplay there actually was! I'm genuinely shocked this actually got released in the state it was in! Easy 1000 achievement points though :D

Old:
Tomb Raider - Every so often I play this game to attempt to finish it despite the fact that I always wind up hating the game. This time was no different, the horrific controls (way worse than Resident Evils are supposed to be) just got on my nerves so much I just gave up. again.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Geometry Wars - Wii - what a crock of censored

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:05 pm

SirClive wrote:Easy, by a country mile it is Smash Bros on the Wii.
Only because you sent me the steaming pile of turd that is Sprint Car Challenge instead of playing it. Scalextric is a more accurate simulation of driving than that thing ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:09 pm

That was sealed, you wasn't supposed to play it!!!

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:45 pm

New: I'm a BIG wrestling fan but Wrestlemainia 21 on the Xbox is just downright poor. Linear storyline modes, unforgivable gamplay and bugs and glitches and a TERRIBLE online mode show this game up for what it is. Just as well that I got a PS2 with Smackdown v Raw 2007. Now THATS a wrestling game.

Old: Lets cut to the chase. Karnov (MAME) is a truly poor game that was never any good back in 1988 and is even worse when played today. Its akin to sticking you dangly bits in a mincer whilst listening to boucy house music and watching repeats of Eldorado on loop. Yes it's that bad. :evil: :evil:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:53 pm

felgekarp wrote:Has to be Mario Kart on the Wii for me
Good shout. Probably the worst purchase of the year so far for me.

Worst retro game... not sure, but the 'Great' Giana Sisters in the Retroleague was dire.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:06 pm

SirClive wrote:That was sealed, you wasn't supposed to play it!!!
I'm not convinced that 'play' accurately describes the experience.

I'd have put Star Ray or Astro Fighter lower in the list than Giana Sisters. Star Ray I've never liked and Astro Fighter I know is a bad game but is rescued by nostalgia for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SuperFamiKing

Post by SuperFamiKing » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Alone in the Dark on the 360!!!!

can only be described as "fetid"

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:32 pm

felgekarp wrote:retro wise is Astro Fighter that we played in the league.
You mean the Master System vertical scroller? I like that game! :D

The worst game I've played this year:

New:
Nothing, I haven't played a new game for some time...

Retro:
Hmmm, I played Altered Beast on the MS for the first time in about 15 years yesterday, having reasonably fond memories of it. These memories were obliterated in about 2 clacto-seconds. :shock:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:45 pm

New games, well, there's a few i thought were crap.

#1 - MX vs ATV: Untamed - Untamed? If his is untamed, we're all doomed! Good graphics can't hide shallow and crap gameplay. And when trying to find another player online, its horendus.

#2 - Clive Barker's Jericho - From the master of horror comes his version of.....THUNDERBIRDS! Yes, it's THAT bad. Just a pile of polished sh!te.

#3 - Dark Sector - Gorgeous graphics and great gameplay.........for about 20 minutes, that is. The Graphics are gorgeous though, bu the gameplay becomes so-so after a while and its p!ss easy too. I was 3/4 the way through it in an hour and a half. For game thats about 10 hours worth of gameplay, thats bad.

and retro, we have....

Altered Beast on the mega drive. Like going back out with an ex from years ago, only to discover she's got uglier and is not as good in bed.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!