Greatest scrolling beat'em ups?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:20 pm

Looking through the thread, I think most of the best per console have been covered (except River City Ransom for NES) But I can't think of a single contender for the Playstation 1...

Does Fighting Force win by default? Oni maybe, if it counts. Have I forgotten something?

IMO best on PS2 was God Hand. I liked Sega Ages Dynamite Deka, although it's not really a PS2 game. Final Fight Streetwise wasn't terrible, just extremely disappointing, not least because you can see that even with the exact same dev team and basic idea they could have made it so much better - it was like they stopped trying halfway through the project(which was probably the case since that was about the time they got told they were being laid off).

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:27 pm

I'll write down all those titles you gave me, and they'll definitely end up in my collection one day or another... :wink:

I'd love to give Final Fight Streetwise a shot. I've also read bad reviews, which put me off... but I'm not really picky about this kind of game, so I'm sure I'll like it. I'll need to get a new PS2 though... :roll:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:12 pm

Short list as I need to rest

Alien VS Predator
Streets of rage remake
Gardian heros
Die hard arcade

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:00 pm

I've always been a fan of any version of the first Double Dragon (I've not played much of the second), and Final Fight. They may have been inferior versions, but I grew up with the Amiga versions of these games, and I still enjoy playing them.

So my vote goes to both Final Fight and Double Dragon.

I also enjoyed Gekido on the PS1, and lately I got God Hand. You could also say the Yakuza games are in the same genre, although with a lot more focus on adventure and story. If you really want to stretch it, you could consider Shenmue, but they're not really comparable.

All those are 3D though, so they don't really belong in this topic :P (sorry about that)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:28 am

To add a couple more 3D Beat em ups into the mix its worth trying:
Spikeout Battle Street (Xbox) - A straight up brawler not a million miles away from Final Fight or Streets of Rage. The only real difference is its in 3D. You still beat up hords of enemies, then progress onto the next area with more enemies and then finally when you reach the end of the stage you fight the customary end of level boss. Great fun, even more so with the online co-op mode.

Urban Reign (PS) - Though it isn't scrolling (you only have 1 big arena per stage) this is still (in my opinion) the best 3D brawler available. It takes a little while to get used to the blocking/dodging/countering system but once you get used to it the game becomes impossible to put down. Combos are easy to pull off, with a large array of special moves, team up attacks and enviromental attacks. There is also a large roster of characters to choose from (including guest stars Paul Pheonix and Marshall Law from Tekken).

Dynasty/Samurai Warriors (PS2/PS3/Xbox/Xbox 360) - Kind of stretching things as again, these aren't exactly scrolling beat em ups but the main gameplay of beating up hundreds of opponents and bosses per level still remain intact in these series I thought they were worth a mention.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:00 am

Mighty_Zol wrote:Looking through the thread, I think most of the best per console have been covered (except River City Ransom for NES) But I can't think of a single contender for the Playstation 1...
I'd say Silhouette Mirage, if you can get your head around the colour-switching mechanic it's an excellent title.

EDIT Ok it's more of a shooter, but there's also hands-on fighting involved.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 pm

I've just won an auction on Guardian Heroes on ebay. I paid £24 for the game and postage, quite a bargain I think, judging by the prices on ebay France and others...
The game is complete by the way...
And I also intend to buy TMNT 3 soon, and Die Hard Arcade... :wink:
Is £20 for Die Hard Arcade (with postage) a fair price?

elmosexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:46 pm

does die hard arcade count? i always loved that game...especially because you could pick up a mini rocket launcher ^.^ x
+I..AM..ERROR+

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Is Final Fight 2 any good?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:03 pm

On Snes? Yeah it's pretty decent but I prefer FF3 overall. Both of these games have solid gameplay though and a nice selection of characters and moves.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:23 pm

FF2 in my opinion isn't as bad as its made out to be. Its nowhere near what the original was (but what is?) but it is still fun to play through. I agree with C Style that FF3 is the better game, the special and super moves each characters get really add a new dimension into the fighting.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:35 pm

Found this quick playthrough for Vendetta, its worth watching through as the game has some great touches, but for the uninitiated you might want to watch level 4 starting around the 5 minute mark for some of the more interesting opponents for which the game gained a lot of its notoriety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TH-Dhxe ... re=related
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:05 pm

ShadowMan wrote:FF2 in my opinion isn't as bad as its made out to be. Its nowhere near what the original was (but what is?) but it is still fun to play through. I agree with C Style that FF3 is the better game, the special and super moves each characters get really add a new dimension into the fighting.
I enjoyed FF2 more than FF3... and Chun-Li makes an appearance in FF2! :lol: I didn't like the characters in FF3... and the story behind them seemed quite ridiculous to me. But I actually don't remember the plot of FF2... :lol:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:10 pm

Spooky wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:FF2 in my opinion isn't as bad as its made out to be. Its nowhere near what the original was (but what is?) but it is still fun to play through. I agree with C Style that FF3 is the better game, the special and super moves each characters get really add a new dimension into the fighting.
I enjoyed FF2 more than FF3... and Chun-Li makes an appearance in FF2! :lol: I didn't like the characters in FF3... and the story behind them seemed quite ridiculous to me. But I actually don't remember the plot of FF2... :lol:
I have Japanese versions for 2 and 3 so I have no idea about the story. 2 seemed to have Mad Gear involved I think and 3 focused on another Gang war maybe? I just though 3 had more variety.
Your in for a treat with Guardian Heroes, fab game one of the best Saturn games I own. I only wish I had an English version as the story in that is very cool with loads of branching paths on each level (with loads of alternate endings to boot.)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:59 pm

nesmaster wrote:Is Final Fight 2 any good?
Yes
But I whouldnt pay top wack for it
three is better due to more moves