Greatest scrolling beat'em ups?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Final fight in the arcade was a good game but my favourite would be target renegade on the speccy (although I did like kicking people off bikes in the original renegade)

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:44 pm

Spooky wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote:SNES: TMNT 4 Turtles In Time

FACT

:P
I agree with you, TMNT 4 is great. I love TMNT 2 as well... which brings me to this question: what about TMNT 3?... I realise I do not know this game... Was it even released over here?
TMNT 2 is really good for a scrolling beat em up on the NES, good call! Good question too, as far as I know 3 was never made. I know 2 and 4 were just adaptations of the arcade game for different consoles. The Megadrive version is called The Hyperstone Heist... maybe that was supposed to be TMNT 3??
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

kochane

Post by kochane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:20 pm

Agree with the Streets of Rage series.

I also used to love Alien Storm on the MD, Target Renegade on the Spectrum 128 and FIST 2 - The Legend Continues (Way of the Exploding Fist 2 I think) on the C64.

Incidentally I played Final Fight Streetwise on the PS2 the other day and thought it was not too bad compared to how everyone else seems to rate it. Yeah the original is a classic but its ok (aside from the dodgy voice casting and zombie plot line that is...)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:41 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:
Spooky wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote:SNES: TMNT 4 Turtles In Time

FACT

:P
I agree with you, TMNT 4 is great. I love TMNT 2 as well... which brings me to this question: what about TMNT 3?... I realise I do not know this game... Was it even released over here?
TMNT 2 is really good for a scrolling beat em up on the NES, good call! Good question too, as far as I know 3 was never made. I know 2 and 4 were just adaptations of the arcade game for different consoles. The Megadrive version is called The Hyperstone Heist... maybe that was supposed to be TMNT 3??
Turtles 3 was called Turtles: The Manhattan Project and was released on the Nes in the States and Japan but I'm unsure of it ever being released here. It has the same kind of play style as Turtles: The Arcade game and Turtles in Time.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:50 am

bad dudes vs dragon ninja -nes, great game and a good port too! :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:12 am

bonerlaw wrote:Love side scrolling beat em ups!

I would recommend:
Final Fight - Arcade only though
Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3
Double Dragon 1 and 2
The Punisher
Dynamite Dux
X Men
Both Turtles arcades
The Simpsons
Super Double Dragon (im serious, i liked this game!)

Tired of thinking now, but there a loads i love!
Didn't we just recently do this topic thread???

Your argument is waaaaay flawed, as the Mega CD version of Final Fight is actually BETTER than it's arcade parent. Have you not ever played it??
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:21 am

Like others, my favourite of all time is SOR2, but would like to add that having bought SOR3 for a stupid amount of money was highly disappointed and didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:54 am

ShadowMan wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote:
Spooky wrote: I agree with you, TMNT 4 is great. I love TMNT 2 as well... which brings me to this question: what about TMNT 3?... I realise I do not know this game... Was it even released over here?
Turtles 3 was called Turtles: The Manhattan Project and was released on the Nes in the States and Japan but I'm unsure of it ever being released here. It has the same kind of play style as Turtles: The Arcade game and Turtles in Time.
Thanks Shadowman! I recognise the title but never played it. I reeeally want to track it down now!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:05 am

No problem! I noticed a few copies listed on Ebay (though they are all located in America) for a cheap enough price. Modding the Nes is dead easy so getting the game to boot on a PAL Nes would be no problem.
As far as the old Turtles beat em ups go I loved T2 for the Nes much more than the original arcade version. It may lack in the graphics/animation department but really shines with the great music and exclusive levels and bosses. Not to mention the game doesn't seem to be so bloody difficulty! (Kang excluded)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:39 am

Not the greatest but the one ive had the most giggles playing is 4 player Simpsons arcade
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:33 pm

ShadowMan wrote:No problem! I noticed a few copies listed on Ebay (though they are all located in America) for a cheap enough price. Modding the Nes is dead easy so getting the game to boot on a PAL Nes would be no problem.
As far as the old Turtles beat em ups go I loved T2 for the Nes much more than the original arcade version. It may lack in the graphics/animation department but really shines with the great music and exclusive levels and bosses. Not to mention the game doesn't seem to be so bloody difficulty! (Kang excluded)
Thanks for the tip as well! I'll have a look on ebay in a few minutes, my NES is modded, and the euro is still strong, so hopefully, I won't pay too much. :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:34 pm

I would recommend:

The Punisher
Dynamite Dux
X Men

On what system are these games?... (I guess X-Men is an arcade game, but I really don't know about the other 2... :roll: )

And I forgot about Castle Crashers! I need to buy some MS points quickly... :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:52 pm

Spooky wrote:

I would recommend:

The Punisher
Dynamite Dux
X Men

On what system are these games?... (I guess X-Men is an arcade game, but I really don't know about the other 2... :roll: )

And I forgot about Castle Crashers! I need to buy some MS points quickly... :wink:
The Punisher is on Mame and the CPS1 Emu for PSP
Dynamite Dux Mame and Master System.. The arcade board is really Pricy only ever saw it once in Porthcawl fairground..
X Men mame has lots of different versions that basically allows more players..

I would also recommend other more obscure scrolling beat em ups for Mame
Ninja Baseball Bat Man
Zombie Hunters
Knights of Valour
Arabian Fight _Sega one
Dungeons and Dragons Shadow over Mysteria
Sengouki 3
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Dynamite Dux is on the MasterSystem (or MAME).
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:54 pm

Vendetta - Mame....that'll about do for me.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.