What's happening to gameStation?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:43 am

Loftgroover wrote:there are people like me who will never use Game....i'm not sure why i just dont like the 'feel' of the place plus it is the most expensive shop in town. whereas 75% of my games are bought from GS.

so when gamestation goes its online only for me for my games and I cant be the only one.
???
Don't get this atoll!?

Stock wise both Game and gamestation are now virtualy identical.
The new games are the same price in both stores.
For 'older' stuff I'd say it's 50/50 what store gives the best price.
GameStation may have been 'aimed at the more serious gamer' in the past, but culture wise nowadays it's gust a (more grotty) Game clone!

So no I can't make any sence of those comments.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:30 am

jdanddiet wrote:There's a gamestation in Romford near where I work. I'm intrigued to check it out one lunchtime now...

I will report back on the nature of it's staff, stock and smell.
Outside of store: clean, well organised and neat
Inside store: as above
smell: faint whiff of flowery fragrance...niiiice
Staff: young, female, polite, not too hairy
Retro content: NON-EXISTENT!!!!

I did pick up Resident Evil from a charity shop nearby though.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:50 am

Just visited the Gamestation in Worthing. Was disappointed by the zero retro content, the store was basically exactly the same as the Game shop round the corner. Only Game is much more spacious and with a generally nicer atmosphere!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

slightly delayed

Post by slightly delayed » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:59 pm

coastliner wrote:
slightly delayed wrote:my local game station (grimsby) absolutly stinks it smells of 14 year old boys and has 5 shelves of retro if your lucky. Our game is not as smelly but rubbish always seems overpriced you can't move for stock or people

Our gamestation has 1 plus point they have really cool 80 music playing 8)
Your'e right, Grimsby's game station smells so bad that my wife refuses to go in there, and they don't sell any retro games..
Game on the other hand is quite pleasant and has a bit of retro stuff left and there is one member of staff (about 12 years old) who seems quite impressed that an older person (me 37) goes in there to buy saturn or dreamcast games...
But i think inevitably they're goint to phase the retro stuff out. :cry:
i always get the censored taken when i buy saturn stuff from there not sure why

Chimp

Post by Chimp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:
As I've probably stated before Bath gamestation stinks, has a sh*te selection of games and 10 year out of date nu-metal albums seem to be a musical requirement.

Given the amount of soundtracks available why don't they play game music in stores, it would be a little more relevent and you could keep your self amused guessing the tune while thumbing through endless copies of GTA and Fifa.

At least they haven't got blockbuster style 'recommendations' blurting out of Lisa i'anson's arse over a loudspeaker, but its probably only a matter of time.
That's bizarre - whilst you are spot on about the music (not that I mind the genres they play), I've always found the staff, particularly the manager very friendly and helpful.

Retro stuff disappeared into a box at the back of the shop, but was available on request before disappearing completely. I cleared out a load of boxed megadrive games for five pence earlier in the year.

The selection of games is better than other shops in Bath and Bristol in my experience.

The smell comes and goes...predominantly with the tour parties of schoolkids. As a rule, games shops will often be frequented by young males who have yet to discover the social benefits of personal hygiene.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Chimp wrote:That's bizarre - whilst you are spot on about the music (not that I mind the genres they play), I've always found the staff, particularly the manager very friendly and helpful.

Retro stuff disappeared into a box at the back of the shop, but was available on request before disappearing completely. I cleared out a load of boxed megadrive games for five pence earlier in the year.

The selection of games is better than other shops in Bath and Bristol in my experience.

The smell comes and goes...predominantly with the tour parties of schoolkids. As a rule, games shops will often be frequented by young males who have yet to discover the social benefits of personal hygiene.
Hi chimp good to hear from another south west gamer :)

I didn't comment on the staff being unfriendly or unhelpful, I'm sure they are nice enough :wink:

As for the selection of games being better than other shops in the area, what other shops are there in Bath other than Game? I think Bristol has a Cex and independents in Keynsham and Kingswood but none of them are great. Bath gamestation is a grimy little backstreet sh*thole.

The smell... I'm certain that advances in air conditioning and ventilation mean you don't have to rely on a doorstop any more. Sure the customers are stinky but its not like you don't get geeks in other places and they manage to stay clean. Gamestation are just too tight / greedy / small minded to spend the money and expand the shops a little so people other than 14 year old boys feel comfortable.

Chimp

Post by Chimp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:25 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:
Hi chimp good to hear from another south west gamer :)

I didn't comment on the staff being unfriendly or unhelpful, I'm sure they are nice enough :wink:

As for the selection of games being better than other shops in the area, what other shops are there in Bath other than Game? I think Bristol has a Cex and independents in Keynsham and Kingswood but none of them are great. Bath gamestation is a grimy little backstreet sh*thole.

The smell... I'm certain that advances in air conditioning and ventilation mean you don't have to rely on a doorstop any more. Sure the customers are stinky but its not like you don't get geeks in other places and they manage to stay clean. Gamestation are just too tight / greedy / small minded to spend the money and expand the shops a little so people other than 14 year old boys feel comfortable.
Aside from Game in Bath, there is nowhere else now, so Gamestation is the best, relatively speaking! The Electronic Boutique that used to be there was horrendous.

The independent in Keynsham is quite good for retro; as it had a fair selection of gameboy, N64, PS, saturn and dreamcast games last time I was there.

Bristol Gamestation is nowhere as good as the Bath one in terms of selection (at least for the stuff I've always looked for). Cex is Cex...

None of them are nice shopping experiences (and some are downright horrible), but outside of the US I've never been in a nice one!

Nice to know that there are more gamers around round these parts! :D

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:23 am

Fightersmegamix wrote: The smell... I'm certain that advances in air conditioning and ventilation mean you don't have to rely on a doorstop any more. Sure the customers are stinky but its not like you don't get geeks in other places and they manage to stay clean. Gamestation are just too tight / greedy / small minded to spend the money and expand the shops a little so people other than 14 year old boys feel comfortable.
It's not a case of being too 'tight/greedy/small minded' - you can't make a small shop bigger - you'll find that the smaller more pokey shops are the the older ones because when GS first began way back when, location choice was based on things such as cheapest rent and being a bit of the beaten track due to this (ie not high street) which is one of the reasons the business was so successful (this is when it was an indy and it attracted a different customer base to the usual high street shoppers too) Look at the last 100 or so stores and they are in much bigger and nicer locations and going forward you'll find all then newer ones are. The only way the smaller shops may improve in most cases is to move location but it's not so easy in a lot of cities - Manchester being a good example as that store is tiny but a new suitable location hasn't turned up yet. Hard to find an empty shop in a location you want and the right price etc etc.
I seem to remember Derby was altered to include an upstairs retail section - that's an example where GS was able to do something to improve the space of an older store. Anyway, I guess it's not that interesting but just thought it was worth pointing out - GS isn't ignoring the issue but it's not quite as simple as people may think :)

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:43 am

Mootown wrote:you'll find that the smaller more pokey shops are the the older ones because when GS first began way back when, location choice was based on things such as cheapest rent and being a bit of the beaten track due to this (ie not high street) which is one of the reasons the business was so successful (this is when it was an indy and it attracted a different customer base to the usual high street shoppers too)
Which is all fine and well, in way-back land! But now it's just 'Game with a Different Name' , and in many cases Game have nicer shops practically one or two units along the High-Street/Shopping-Mall from the GameStation shop. Are we to believe this is going to continue indefinitely, because GameStation historically attracted a different demographic?
I would say much of the core customers from the old Indi GameStation days were amongst the first to abandon it for something like Chips or the local independents (the few that are left!).

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

GarryG wrote:
Mootown wrote:you'll find that the smaller more pokey shops are the the older ones because when GS first began way back when, location choice was based on things such as cheapest rent and being a bit of the beaten track due to this (ie not high street) which is one of the reasons the business was so successful (this is when it was an indy and it attracted a different customer base to the usual high street shoppers too)
Which is all fine and well, in way-back land! But now it's just 'Game with a Different Name' , and in many cases Game have nicer shops practically one or two units along the High-Street/Shopping-Mall from the GameStation shop. Are we to believe this is going to continue indefinitely, because GameStation historically attracted a different demographic?
I would say much of the core customers from the old Indi GameStation days were amongst the first to abandon it for something like Chips or the local independents (the few that are left!).
Read the rest of my post - it's finding the locations. So it's not that GS doesn't want better stores, it's getting the right one at the right time. For the time being, the old stores trade from where they first opened. You will notice I said that all the new stores are not little way out west stores, all the newer ones are good size stores in good locations. Please read fully what I wrote, I thought it explained it alright - sorry if it didn't dude.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Mootown wrote:Read the rest of my post - it's finding the locations. So it's not that GS doesn't want better stores, it's getting the right one at the right time. For the time being, the old stores trade from where they first opened.
I did read it all, I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying a little. Sorry about that :oops:
Mootown wrote:You will notice I said that all the new stores are not little way out west stores, all the newer ones are good size stores in good locations. Please read fully what I wrote, I thought it explained it alright - sorry if it didn't dude.
Oh, you did explain!

As I said, it looks like they have practicaly the same customer base in Game and GameStation now! I see the same people walking betwean my two local shops (that are just a few doors apart) and compairing prices! So it's the new stores, that are practicaly next door to the Game stores, that I think will go first!

Just MIO mind you, and I'm not a retail expert, so what do I know... :roll: