What's happening to gameStation?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Post by Mootown » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:55 am

PSXPlayer wrote:Hmm. My local store is smelly too. And if, as the the Gamestation chap (plant) would have us believe it's not the staff, then riddle-me-this: Why doesn't Game smell funny? Or HMV? Or indeed, Cash Converters? Hmm?

The music is too loud too.

I'm afraid to say it but Gamestation = CEX.

They aren't running Gamestation down? Sure. Just like EB wasn't run down. ;)
I'm interested to know why you think I am a 'plant' seeing as I've been a member of this board since 2006. I work at Gamestation and play games, how bizarre :)

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:00 am

I still prefer Gamestation over Game. In Halifax the Game store is sterile and impersonal whereas Gamestation is layed out really badly so it is hard to know what part of the store you need, but it has more character (as do the staff).
Image

User avatar
gmintyfresh
Posts: 5955
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Leeds England
Contact:

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:17 am

Mootown wrote:
Smell in store believe or not is often down to the actual customers - when I worked in store there were some particular stinkers who used to come in on a regular basis. It also doesn't help that a lot of the older stores don't have air con, in a lot of cases this is down to the structure of the buildings, ie in Leeds for instance the building is a listed building and you can't do an awful lot to it.. It's hard to lose the smell once it's in there!
The Leeds store is my local Gamestation and I can testify that it is the customers that stink the place up because if you go in the shop early it smells fresh as daisy. The smell isn't helped by the store being located in Leeds market which stinks of $hit anyway!

I remember when Leeds Gamestation used to give cash for second hand games, you used to see lots of the same baseball-cap-wearing characters in there every week. They all must have owned at least 4 or 5 Playstation's because every time they came in they had a different one to trade in.........................

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Post by C=Style » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:31 am

I also find my local Gamestation staff to be particularly useless when it comes to advice. Last time only being a few weeks ago when I asked what they thought of LocoRoco on PSP, and I was told by one staff member that he would rather slit his wrists than play that game. He's probably got an image complex though. :)
Image

User avatar
STranger81
Posts: 2507
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Post by STranger81 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:43 am

batman877 wrote:
STranger81 wrote: But in our Branch (Derby)... it used to stink in there.
Sadly it still does! All the retro stuff has gone (unless you count the 30 or so Gamecube and XBOX titles) and the prices have gone up.

The thing that annoys me the most with these stores is that they sell 'new' games that are unsealed with heavily thumbed boxes and discs.
Cool. Another Derbyshire member.

Yeah im reluctant to buy anything from there full stop due to the condition of their new products.

Plus you just get chavs in the downstairs part who just flit there and Greggs, playing any console they have on demo, going for a sausage roll then repeating the process.

If in town I go to the stall in the Eagle Centre market which is run by a friendly couple and always have a good amount of games in

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Post by C=Style » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:45 am

Yeah when I buy a new game I like it to be just that: NEW, shrink wrap and all. I think they have a policy whereby you can bring back games and exchange them within a certain amount of time meaning you could be in fact buying a preowned game unawares.
Image

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Post by Mootown » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:24 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
Mootown wrote:
Smell in store believe or not is often down to the actual customers - when I worked in store there were some particular stinkers who used to come in on a regular basis. It also doesn't help that a lot of the older stores don't have air con, in a lot of cases this is down to the structure of the buildings, ie in Leeds for instance the building is a listed building and you can't do an awful lot to it.. It's hard to lose the smell once it's in there!
The Leeds store is my local Gamestation and I can testify that it is the customers that stink the place up because if you go in the shop early it smells fresh as daisy. The smell isn't helped by the store being located in Leeds market which stinks of $hit anyway!

I remember when Leeds Gamestation used to give cash for second hand games, you used to see lots of the same baseball-cap-wearing characters in there every week. They all must have owned at least 4 or 5 Playstation's because every time they came in they had a different one to trade in.........................
I worked at the Leeds store around 2003 ish for a year or so :)

thl
Posts: 4427
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 am

Post by thl » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:41 am

C=Style wrote:I also find my local Gamestation staff to be particularly useless when it comes to advice. Last time only being a few weeks ago when I asked what they thought of LocoRoco on PSP, and I was told by one staff member that he would rather slit his wrists than play that game. He's probably got an image complex though. :)
Few months ago when I went to Gamestation at Camden and asked this lad (probably on work experience) about any updates on COD: World at War, he paused and said he knew little about it. Being put on the spot, he decided to walk into the backroom few times and come out again until someone cover for him. Apart from that, the Camden branch doesn't have that much retro stuff.

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:03 pm

I used to go in gamestations all over the place whenever I could as there used to be a difference in retro selection at each store. The high street is the same everywhere now.

As I've probably stated before Bath gamestation stinks, has a sh*te selection of games and 10 year out of date nu-metal albums seem to be a musical requirement.

Given the amount of soundtracks available why don't they play game music in stores, it would be a little more relevent and you could keep your self amused guessing the tune while thumbing through endless copies of GTA and Fifa.

At least they haven't got blockbuster style 'recommendations' blurting out of Lisa i'anson's arse over a loudspeaker, but its probably only a matter of time.

User avatar
coastliner
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:48 am
Location: Grimsby

Post by coastliner » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:41 pm

slightly delayed wrote:my local game station (grimsby) absolutly stinks it smells of 14 year old boys and has 5 shelves of retro if your lucky. Our game is not as smelly but rubbish always seems overpriced you can't move for stock or people

Our gamestation has 1 plus point they have really cool 80 music playing 8)
Your'e right, Grimsby's game station smells so bad that my wife refuses to go in there, and they don't sell any retro games..
Game on the other hand is quite pleasant and has a bit of retro stuff left and there is one member of staff (about 12 years old) who seems quite impressed that an older person (me 37) goes in there to buy saturn or dreamcast games...
But i think inevitably they're goint to phase the retro stuff out. :cry:

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13165
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Post by sscott » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:03 pm

I think most of us accept the fact that buying retro in the big stores is over. I have 1 (well documented) store in the North-East I'll always be able to get retro stuff from plus we have trade forums, boot fairs and e-bay. I'm not sure whether Gamestation staff should/or are required to be all knowing on games (particularly retro), it helps of course but we are admittedly a small percentage of the market. :)
Image

User avatar
EvilArmourKing
Posts: 2869
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Mishima Zaibatsu HQ
Contact:

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:12 pm

rupert wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Always smells a bit funny too.......
No place in the world smells as bad as Manchester City Centre "Crack Convertors".

Two minutes in that place and you feel like throwing up.

It is one of the most disgusting smells you can EVER imagine.

I dare any of you to drop in when visiting!
Cash Generator is the same. Wheres Cash Convertors?
Sorry Rupert, that's the one I meant. Just round the corner from Nobles Amusements and 21's.

What you think of the stench in there then?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

PSXPlayer
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:53 pm

Post by PSXPlayer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Mootown wrote:
PSXPlayer wrote:Hmm. My local store is smelly too. And if, as the the Gamestation chap (plant) would have us believe it's not the staff, then riddle-me-this: Why doesn't Game smell funny? Or HMV? Or indeed, Cash Converters? Hmm?

The music is too loud too.

I'm afraid to say it but Gamestation = CEX.

They aren't running Gamestation down? Sure. Just like EB wasn't run down. ;)
I'm interested to know why you think I am a 'plant' seeing as I've been a member of this board since 2006. I work at Gamestation and play games, how bizarre :)
A most perplexing mystery indeed. Cue picture of my face stuck to the body of Lord Percy stroking my chin. ;)

Still, I wouldn't consider you a regular Gamestation employee, as often the most basic of game-related questioning stumps them.

So obviously you're part of the Gamestation 'hive-mind' or something, representing the knowledgeable, friendly and video-game savvy face of Gamestation. AKA: a plant. You see? X-Files taught me something - it's trust no-one. :wink:

User avatar
Loftgroover
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:27 am
Location: birmingham
Contact:

Post by Loftgroover » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:30 am

it simply doesnt make business sense for a company to have 2 stores in virtually the same location
it makes sense to me....it means they get ALL the business in that zone. there are people like me who will never use Game....i'm not sure why i just dont like the 'feel' of the place plus it is the most expensive shop in town. whereas 75% of my games are bought from GS.

so when gamestation goes its online only for me for my games and I cant be the only one.
Image

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9050
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:57 am

There's a gamestation in Romford near where I work. I'm intrigued to check it out one lunchtime now...

I will report back on the nature of it's staff, stock and smell.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests