Like to read, don't like to play.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theMot

Like to read, don't like to play.

Post by theMot » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:02 pm

I find these days im more into reading and study old games rather than playing them. I'll go back to games i really enjoyed to play long ago and fiddle about with them for a few hours and have my trip down memory lane but i cant go out and buy an old classic i never played back in the day and sink 20 hours into it.

I still play games but these days it's on the 360, If something retro pops up on live arcade i'll download it and have a go but i cant go back to an old system and have it hold my attention after say playing Bioshock.

Anyone else like this? I ask because sometimes i get the feeling there's people out there that ONLY play old games, just wondering how you get by with just your C64 lol can you happily spend equal amounts of time on your SNES and PS3 for instance?

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:45 pm

I knpw what you mean. I can't play my Megadrive to exhaustion like the old days. I keep switching games after a couple of minutes, but I play my Saturns like they're my current consoles. I can lose entire days to Sega Rally and Daytona. Got to shave another tenth off that lap time!
Thoughts and prayers.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:50 pm

I rarely play 'current' games, I'm almost always at least one generation behind. Aside from the DC and GameCube, all my consoles are between 8-bit and 32-bit. I play older games as much as I do more recent ones (and by more recent, I mean the DC, GC, etc), but I don't play games in general as much as I used to, I just don't have the time. There's so many great retro games I still haven't played yet, I'm in no hurry to get a 360 or PS3. I'm having a Master System-fest at the moment, and I'll probably get some more PC Engine games and play them to death after that.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:09 pm

sam ehere too. the only game i spent time with was Rescue On Fractalus on the C64. others i just fire up for a few moments then change it.

damn you, Call Of Duty 4, with your online play and unlockables!

DAMN YOU TO HELL..........
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:39 pm

I play newer games a lot more than older ones these days but there are still times when I'll fire up an older game and it will unexpectedly grab my attention for hours on end, or at least until I finish it. Good gameplay never ages badly. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:03 am

I have to focus on the one system for a while. For instance, when I get the Saturn out, I can quite happily play those games for a couple of weeks, but I've got to leave the PS3 off (and vice versa). Guess I just have to adjust to the technological level of the time. Once I'm 'there', the gameplay is the only consideration.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:59 am

I find it tricky to divide my time equally between old and new consoles. I rarely spend hours and hours on an older game unless it really is brilliant (eg Mario Kart on the SNES). Like others, I find a lot of the newer generation games have a lot longer lifespan due to the unlockable content and the way they are produced like movies, with involving storylines and inventive cinematography (or "gameatography"?).

Currently I'm getting into The Darkness on PS3, even the loading screens add to the story and character! I know I'll spend a lot longer playing this than I ever did Mortal Kombat...

But after a while of being immersed in a game with an involving story, I'll feel the need to pick up a SNES pad and beat up some foot clan on TMNT 4 or shoot some ducks on the NES!! :D
Last edited by flying_delorean81 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:12 am

I still like spending loads of time on older games, but for most older games the only "goal" is to complete them as opposed to games today that also have achievements, unlockables and online play so naturally they don't tend to last as long. In a way I prefer it this way as it means it doesn't feel like the game drags on for to long (like GTA4 or Assassins Creed did near the end).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:49 am

ShadowMan wrote:games today that also have achievements, unlockables and online play
Being a Wii gamer these things don't really affect me, so I'll play any game from any system for equal time ;)

I reckon I play Spectrum games for as long as I play any of my other systems, mostly because the emus are so portable and functional. MD & C64 are probably my oher main systems that sit alongside PS2 and PC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am

flying_delorean81 wrote: Like others, I find a lot of the newer generation games have a lot longer lifespan due to the unlockable content and the way they are produced like movies, with involving storylines and inventive cinematography (or "gameatography"?).
I dunno, I play old school games to get away from that stuff, myself. Even a game as great as Resident Evil 4 was let down by its retarded plot, stupid characters and rubbish acting.

The Dreamcast, for instance, is so fondly regarded by many because a lot of its best games (Shenmue excepted) show how technology can serve gameplay, rather than dilute it with filler. Padding out a game with cutscenes may make it "last" longer, but its time spent watching teh pretty pictures instead of actually playing.

Ikaruga on the Dreamcast has "only" five levels. My copy has clocked up over 140 hours. Videogame content should not be measured by non-interactive padding.

This is why old school games often age better: stronger fundamentals.

Also, surely a lot of old games can be played to increase scores/mastery- how does that differ from achievements, exactly?
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:34 am

i find it's a bit mix and match - I like to play retro on the train or if I have 20 minutes free late at night - but for longer sessions I usually play current games. I guess it's like music - sometimes you listen to new stuff, sometime you want to listen to some golden oldies...

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:43 am

AlleyKat wrote: This is why old school games often age better: stronger fundamentals.
I totally agree, this is why I'll always go back to games like Super Mario World or Final Fight whenever I get bored/annoyed of newer games.

I don't know how many current next-gen games I'll return to in 15 years time...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:11 am

AlleyKat wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote: Like others, I find a lot of the newer generation games have a lot longer lifespan due to the unlockable content and the way they are produced like movies, with involving storylines and inventive cinematography (or "gameatography"?).
I dunno, I play old school games to get away from that stuff, myself. Even a game as great as Resident Evil 4 was let down by its retarded plot, stupid characters and rubbish acting.
I've never much liked 'unlockables' unless they're playable extra levels. I have no desire to play through a story with a different character or similar ropey 'bonus' content.

I'd argue that story led modern games have far less lifespan than older games. Generally I'll play them through once then never feel the need to return as I now know the story. With a score/skill/puzzle based game I'm more likely to return as its the gameplay that is the hook, not its wrappings. Sure, pretty graphics are nice, but they're less important than the core game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am

Incidentally, its not that I dont think there is a place for plot/cutscenes in games- I just think its used gratuitously a lot of the time.

For example, in Shenmue, Phoenix Wright, or many JRPGS, the plot and non-interactive scenes are appropriate and enrich the games.

Metal Gear Solid 4, for example is less so. In cutscene heavy action games you end up with two opposing elements that end up seperating like oil and water. The divide between action and passive viewing is too pronounced.

I tend to get annoyed with that nonsense because its what the "games as art" crowd often mistake for artistry. It aint. Pacman, Bubble Bobble or Ikaruga are closer to being "art" than Metal Gear Solid 4, Mass Effect or The Darkness will ever be.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:35 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: I'd argue that story led modern games have far less lifespan than older games. Generally I'll play them through once then never feel the need to return as I now know the story. With a score/skill/puzzle based game I'm more likely to return as its the gameplay that is the hook, not its wrappings. Sure, pretty graphics are nice, but they're less important than the core game.
I think you've hit the nail on the head mate. While I will spend hours on end playing Resident Evil until I complete it, afterwards I'm going to be less willing to traipse through the story and cutscenes again. Whereas decent retro games are much easier to pick up and play for that instant pleasure. Which is one of the reasons why I've come to love older games so much in recent years!