Very proud of these :)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:53 pm

After an extended proof approval process, I'm pleased to report that the final set of proofs are on their way to me...

I think we've found all the errors, so the next stage is the printing...

Looks like they're about three weeks away from landing on my doorstep, so if anyone wants one, now is the time (assuming that the oncoming recession hasn't shared the bejeezus out of everybody :( )

Andrew

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:59 am

Looks very, very nice.

Just need books for Amiga and early PC (late 80s / early 90s) games! (hint hint) :wink:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:08 am

You've done a Speccy book and a C64 book, what about an Amstrad CPC book?

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:27 am

woody.cool wrote:You've done a Speccy book and a C64 book, what about an Amstrad CPC book?
Can't wait to see the comments on this one. Woody, you must have masochistic tendencies.

Perhaps you should write it yourself and see if they publish it. I'd consider buying it, to be fair, even though I'm not really a big CPC fan. However, if it is made it should be printed on paper that's too wide to fit comfortably on your bookshelf.

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 am

Just ordered this and the 8bit book. How do I find out which 'number' I am? Do you have a running list? would be cool to be 1 (I assume thats yours), 007 8) or 100 :)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Looking forward to getting this fella ! Can never have enough retro books !!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:45 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:
woody.cool wrote:You've done a Speccy book and a C64 book, what about an Amstrad CPC book?
Can't wait to see the comments on this one. Woody, you must have masochistic tendencies.

Perhaps you should write it yourself and see if they publish it. I'd consider buying it, to be fair, even though I'm not really a big CPC fan. However, if it is made it should be printed on paper that's too wide to fit comfortably on your bookshelf.
Well, one has been done on the C64 and the Speccy .... so to complete, we need CPC, Electron/BBC and Atari 8-bit!
Havantgottaclue wrote:Perhaps you should write it yourself and see if they publish it.
Unfortunately, I'm not much of a writer, otherwise I'd do exactly that!

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:06 pm

quantum wrote:Looks very, very nice.

Just need books for Amiga and early PC (late 80s / early 90s) games! (hint hint) :wink:
An Amiga book is being worked on... PC games

pforson wrote:Just ordered this and the 8bit book. How do I find out which 'number' I am? Do you have a running list? would be cool to be 1 (I assume thats yours), 007 8) or 100 :)
They'll be numbered in the order that the pre-orders were received.
woody.cool wrote: Well, one has been done on the C64 and the Speccy .... so to complete, we need CPC, Electron/BBC and Atari 8-bit!
Well, The 8-bit book has games from all of those :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:44 am

pforson wrote:Just ordered this and the 8bit book. How do I find out which 'number' I am? Do you have a running list? would be cool to be 1 (I assume thats yours), 007 8) or 100 :)
I am thinking that number 008 would be the desirable one for the 8 bit book. Fingers crossed :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
I am thinking that number 008 would be the desirable one for the 8 bit book. Fingers crossed :D
Well, the 8-bit book isn't numbered... Only the hardback spectrum book (as there are only 100 being printed)... You can uncross your fingers safely now... :)

Andrew

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:22 pm

andrew_rollings wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Well, the 8-bit book isn't numbered... Only the hardback spectrum book (as there are only 100 being printed)... You can uncross your fingers safely now... :)

Andrew
Or recross them and hope you get number 048 of the Speccy book ;)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:33 pm

woody.cool wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not much of a writer, otherwise I'd do exactly that!
Well, your posts here show that you're more than capable of stringing a sentence together, so it would just be a case of how to go about a larger-scale project. Why not have a look at Merman's Commodore 64 book (I expect you own a copy)? It's a really good book, but as it's a reference book it's more a case of doing your research and from there working to a formula rather than trying to be the next Dickens (not wishing to detract from Merman's excellent work). In the case of the Commodore 64 book, the formula usually seems to take the form of - 1. Critical reception and retrospective opinion; 2. Programmer/artist/musician/company info and history and 3. Synopsis of plot/gameplay elements. And it works really well! You should pick Merman's brain about how he wrote it.

Perhaps you should try to write a few reviews along those lines, aiming for 500 words a review in three paragraphs. As you say, the Amstrad is one of the major 8-bit gaming platforms and deserves attention.

rupert

Post by rupert » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:21 pm

This looks really impressive, although I'm mainly an SMS fan my mum and dad had a speccy or 2 back in the day with loads of games and I have very fond memorys of it. I still have all the stuff, games, printers, microdrives etc.

I just orderd your book, I may give it to my dad as an Xmas present... or keep it and buy another for him, not dicided yet :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:31 am

My book arrived today - unlucky 13 of 100.

Who got the following numbers then?:
1 - The first, and therefore special.
16 & 48 - to match the machine designations
100 - The last ever one of these.

Looks superb. But now I have a redundant softcover version...

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:14 am

woody.cool wrote:
Havantgottaclue wrote:

Well, one has been done on the C64 and the Speccy .... so to complete, we need CPC, Electron/BBC and Atari 8-bit!

Yep definately need a cpc book. The speccy one looks top notch tho.