DS Shmups - recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Oh not again!

DS Shmups - recommendations

Post by Oh not again! » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Anyone got some suggestions on DS Shmups for me? I have Geometry Wars, but I'm in the mood for some more mobile shmup action!

plumduff

Post by plumduff » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Apparently nanostray 2 is meant to be ok, but haven't managed to play it yet.

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:06 pm

plumduff wrote:Apparently nanostray 2 is meant to be ok, but haven't managed to play it yet.
I played Nanostray - the first version...

It's not bad, but it doesn't quite do it for me.
Still, there aren't many others out there...

Geometry Wars is still the best.

Andrew

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:17 am

Treasure's excellent shooter, Bangai-O Spirits has just come out. I'd say that should be your first port of call. It's a shooter with puzzle elements (and it has co-op multiplayer and a level editor).

Looky:-

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:32 am

If you want mobile shmup action the PSP has gradius collection, salamander collection, parodius collection, twin bee collection, sengoku cannon, taito legends and capcom classics (think 1943 kai is on one of them as a PSP exclusive).

For DS, as Liveinabin recommended, bangio spirits is your best bet. Alternatively look for some gameboy advance shmups.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:22 am

The first Nanostray is worth a go. Its not the best Shmup ever but I found it really addictive so its not all bad. The touchscreen weapon switch was annoying and the scoring multiplier system was hard to get used to but it has lots to do (challenge mode, score attack etc.) so it'll last a while. The sequel is supposed to be better but I've not played it yet.
Bangio O Spirits is amazing, that should be gotten first!

If you want some side scroller run and gun action look no further than Metal Slug 7, which is a good sequel which just slightly misses out on greatness and of course Contra 4 which is just hands down one of the best DS games available. Dead hard but worth every second!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:17 am

Ketsui Death Label will be released next month.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOaTEuRfOlU

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:02 am

Space Invaders Extreme - with the Taito spinner controller for added fun.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Right picked up Bangai-O - not quite what I was expecting, but pretty good fun so far! Also got Nanostray since it was cheap... not quite sure what to make of this one. All the elements of a great shooter are there, but somehow it just doesn't seem to deliver.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:30 pm

If you can possible get your hands on a Homebrew capable card of some sort, I have to say I'm starting to really like the NeoGeo schmups. NeoDS is near perfect on many of these shooters. I particularly like Strikers 1945 Plus, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Last Resort, Andro Dunas and Alpha Wing 3. The only thing is some of them may be deemed "too easy" but on the go I don't mind.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:20 am

Would agree that 'Space Invaders Extreme' and 'Bangai-o-Spirits' should be high on your shopping list including run and gun shooters like 'Contra 4' and 'Metal Slug 7'.

I would avoid 'Nanostray'... I thought it was unfairly difficult and unsatisfying; however 'Nanostray 2' is much better with improved level design and lower difficulty level. It even has an online leaderboard.

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:57 pm

CrookedMouth wrote:If you can possible get your hands on a Homebrew capable card of some sort, I have to say I'm starting to really like the NeoGeo schmups. NeoDS is near perfect on many of these shooters. I particularly like Strikers 1945 Plus, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Last Resort, Andro Dunas and Alpha Wing 3. The only thing is some of them may be deemed "too easy" but on the go I don't mind.
I love this site - there's so many helpful/decent recommendations. Downloaded NeoDS now playing Metal Slug! :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:48 am

I would say from what I've played on the DS. Space Invaders Extreme is the best shmup, followed by Geometry Wars. Metal Slug 7 and Contra 4 (hard) are both great too for run & gun games. Nanostray 1 I found the better game over it's sequel as it's vert, and although as Shadowman pointed out the touchscreen weapon changing is a royal pain in the arse it's still a pretty decent shmup and about the only true example of the genre on the DS.