Game Music

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:37 pm

Oh, and also :

KILLER INSTINCT - The original is amazing and serves up quite a few different styles (Jago - Techno, Cinder - Hard Rock). We salute you RARE, for giving a CD of the game music away with the game!

Tekken 2 + Tekken 3 - Lots of very cool, mostly techno with a pinch of rock (certainly on T3) on both of the Original Sound Tracks. But Tekken 2 wins hands down thanks to the release of both "Strike" and "Arranged" soundtracks.

Also got to include the usual suspects :

Outrun
Sonic (especially Mystic Cave on Sonic 2)
Streets of Rage + SoR2

And not many others have cited Revenge of Shinobi for it's amazing soundtrack. There's more to Yuzo Koshiro than just his Streets work you know!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:09 pm

A few of my Faves -

Speccy -
Ping Pong
Fairlight
Glider Rider
Starglider
All the Magic Knight games (definiate David Whittaker theme brewing)
Yie Ar Kung Fu (Award for most inappropriate game music)
Sweevos' Whirled

Arcade -

Side Arms
OutRun
Hang-On
Space Harrier (all by the same composer I think)

Amiga -

Walker
Chaos Engine
Superfrog
Desert Strike Intro
Xenon - Megablast (a no-brainer)
Cannon Fodder
There was a game, I'm sure it was by Ocean, a sort of cops and robbers / Chase HQ set-up, that had music by Utah Saints as the intro - it were ace. Anyone know what this was?
Also - does anyonr remember Nicky Baum, an obscure platformer...the game actually wasn;t much cop, but the music was all lilting pan-pipes and drum machines....excellent.

Once CD's became the accepted format for games, this took away the 'ooh isn't it clever what you can do with a SID/AY-8912 chip' element, and brought it into the pure music category.
Highlights include - (PSX)
Formula One 1997 (Steve Vai - say no more)
ALL the Wipeout games - these moulded my musical tastes even until now.
Another Psygnosis classic - Rollcage. Seriously underrated, especially Music Wise
SSX Tricky - the clue's in the title, any game that champions Run DMC wins in my eyes.
Finally - Operation Firestorm on the Playstation. Anybody into anything a little alternative, pick this game up. It combines skillful guitar likes with mental 303 riffs. And my copy is scratched, so if anyone is willing to part with one......PM me.