Game Music

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:05 pm

totally forgot about the music to the original OutRun. Only three tracks but what there is, is idyllic
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:11 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:totally forgot about the music to the original OutRun. Only three tracks but what there is, is idyllic
Couldn't agree more, JSW, Splash Wave is ace...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:15 pm

boggyb68 wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:totally forgot about the music to the original OutRun. Only three tracks but what there is, is idyllic
Couldn't agree more, JSW, Splash Wave is ace...

B.
and the rather excellent Magical Sound Shower. The mere mention of OutRun, everyone says MAGICAL SOUND SHOWER!!!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

kochane

Post by kochane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Xenon 2 with the Assault from Precinct 13 soundtrack and Bomb the Bass remix

NecroticSoul

Post by NecroticSoul » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Has anyone mentioned Donkey Kong Country? That, along with its sequels, contains some of the most atmospheric music I've heard in a videogame. The underwater theme from the first one is just beautiful; there's an amazing acoustic version of that too somewhere on ocremix.org.

On the subject of SNES games, anyone remember the subtle ambient soundtrack to excellent isometric-'em-up Equinox? That was pretty cool too.

For dancier stuff, you can't beat Yuzo Koshiro's work on the Streets of Rage games, and in a similar vein I also loved the techo-tastic soundtrack to the original Stardust on the Amiga.

Ooh, and the industrial noise-scapes of Silent Hill on PS1 were excellent too.

I'm gonna stop writing now, otherwise I'll be here all night remembering cool music. :)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Secret of mana opening theme... lush
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

elmosexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:58 pm

gimme anything that uses low fi crunchy samples and a smattering of FM synthesis ^.^ x
+I..AM..ERROR+

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:59 pm

mmmmmm Skate or die C.64
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Ultros

Post by Ultros » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Revolution X :P
"Ack...seafood soup!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Earthbound-snes. Lovely music

Liontamer

Post by Liontamer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:31 am

NecroticSoul wrote:Has anyone mentioned Donkey Kong Country? That, along with its sequels, contains some of the most atmospheric music I've heard in a videogame. The underwater theme from the first one is just beautiful; there's an amazing acoustic version of that too somewhere on ocremix.org.
Thanks for the OC ReMix plug, Necro. I believe you're talking about "Beneath the Surface", which has some nice guitar work that eventually builds to more stuff. Dave Wise, the original composer, took time out to write Vigilante, the ReMixer, to let him know he enjoyed it, which is pretty much the highest complement you can get when you tribute a piece of game music! As a kid, I used to pause the game just to listen to the underwater theme, "Aquatic Ambiance".
bonerlaw wrote:
boyo wrote:Shadow of The Beast 2 on the Amiga.
Good call! Particularly the game over music (my current text alert, much to the annoyance of my work mates!)
Nice. We interviewed Tim Wright at OCR not long ago. Really cool guy and took time out to answer a ton of Qs for us, check it out: http://www.ocremix.org/info/Composer_In ... _Wright%29

There are way too many great soundtracks to pick just one. Street Fighter II was excellent, so it's been a dream come true working on the HD Remix soundtrack. Streets of Rage, Donkey Kong Country and the Super Mario Bros. series are obvious ones.

My favorite recent soundtracks? Katamari Damacy, Viva Piñata, and definitely Lemmings (PSP) by Tim Follin.

OverClocked ReMix will always be my favorite source of LEGAL free game music, not just because I help choose its music. I was a fan for years before I joined it: http://www.ocremix.org/

We've got more than 1,500 free ReMixes from so far by fans tributing game music in creative ways, no limits on the game or genre of music. Download all of our music and albums for free in a few clicks with our torrents: http://www.ocremix.org/torrents/

You can also stream OC ReMixes 24/7 at Ormgas@Rainwave: http://ormgas.rainwave.cc/

I don't think I saw anyone pimp SLAY Radio either, c'mon now. :lol: http://www.slayradio.org/
Assistant Soundtrack Director, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Head Submissions Evaluator, OverClocked ReMix
http://www.ocremix.org

NecroticSoul

Post by NecroticSoul » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Liontamer wrote:Thanks for the OC ReMix plug, Necro. I believe you're talking about "Beneath the Surface"
Aye, that's the badger, Liontamer. I really recommend everyone goes and listens to 'Beneath the Surface'. It's 100% instant goosebumps.

I myself keep meaning to record some heavy metal versions of old game tunes but I never seem to get round to it!

Annie40k

Post by Annie40k » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Definitely all of the music in Metroid on the NES! The minimal sounds made you feel al alone and isolated, especially when you found yourself in a secret area.
Truly bliss, I remember myself being all scared playing that game for the first time.
Also, the music in Mass Effect and the Zelda series. Epic scores!

Zenx the wolf

Post by Zenx the wolf » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:56 pm

My fave game music would probably be the soundtracks from Klonoa 1 and 2.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Mighty_Zol wrote:I could name a few but just because no-one's mentioned it, I thought the music in 720º totally rocked at the time. IIRC a tape version of the arcade soundtrack came with the Spectrum conversion (or was it on a magazine covertape?) anyway i think it was one of the first tapes I listened to on my walkman.

Outrun was another one where I had the tape soundtrack, it still sounds brill in a kitsch sort of synth music way. Final Fight (both arcade and CD) had great music, Bionic Commando reminds me of the summer holiday I spent playing it at an arcade in Cornwall.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone else remembers it too. I had the tape for years, but I think it was a cover tape as I tried to buy the Spectrum game just so I could re-listen to the music again, and alas, it was not on it!

Fantastic tape and spent many hours playing it on my walkman while travelling.

It was really Hard choonage. Love the bit at the beginning when you hear the announcer say "SKATE OR DIE", like your life depends on it.

Someone got this tape??? Can I buy it please?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik