retro regrets ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:02 pm

1500graham wrote:Swapping my Crash and Zzap mags for a similar number of Razzle mags.

Throwing out the Razzle mags before they were discovered by my mother.

Never buying an Amiga 500.
Will swap one Amiga 500 for a similar weight in Razzle mags.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:29 pm

my main retro regret is my mum chucking out my complete collection of Crash magazines (in Binders no less!) whilst I was at Uni.

(Oh - and she chucked my Amtix's too - no one ever seems to talk about Amtix today...)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Getting rid of my Amiga A500 and my set of The Games Machine magazines.

acharris05

Post by acharris05 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:22 pm

My biggest would have to be taking my copy of Snatcher back on the Mega CD to HMV. I have only took about 6 games back in the last 22 years I have been buying and collecting games.

I bought it on the friday for £25 or £29 I think Mega CD games were then, finished it by the sunday and cause I needed money I took it back on the tuesday. Didnt think it would be valuable 14 years on.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:18 am

Retro Gamer is a great magazine...................................

But it doesnt half fill you with regret.

Sold my C16 with a ton of games, all boxed to fund my C64 purchase.
And after looking commodore16 website it looks like I owned about 3/4 of all the games released.

Sold my SNES with a USA/JAP converter and about 20 games to fund my N64 - Bought it on launch day. £300 and no games!

Sold my 64 for my cube.....

etc etc

What a censored!

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:40 am

Paying £40 for 'Mickey Mouse World of Illusion' on the Megadrive was a huge mistake back in the 90's. I loved Castle of Illusion so much that I wanted more... but WOI was so easy that I walked through it on my first go!

What made it even harder was that I part exchanged 'Road Rash' and 'Strider' to get enough cash for it! :shock:

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:55 am

Selling my Master System with 19 games and a light gun (it was the old shape MS with Alex Kidd) to fund buying a SNES the Christmas it came out. Man I loved that system and everything was in pristine condition I just suspect the person I sold it to trashed it too, sniff. I've never had a MS as nice subsequently :(

Not buying symphony of the night for £20 (I saw it shortly after release in CEX for that price).

Dumping my dads Space Invaders cab becuase it powered up every other time you tried, was rusty, and my dad demanded the space in his garage when I lived at home. Seriously I should have put it in storage and had a go at restoring it - it was a very old school black and white version with the coloured strips of perspex on the screen........

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:48 am

batman877 wrote:Paying £40 for 'Mickey Mouse World of Illusion' on the Megadrive was a huge mistake back in the 90's. I loved Castle of Illusion so much that I wanted more... but WOI was so easy that I walked through it on my first go!

What made it even harder was that I part exchanged 'Road Rash' and 'Strider' to get enough cash for it! :shock:
But Castle Of Illusion was also easy enough to finish on a first go too, wasn't it? At least I did when I played it for the first time about 10 years back....
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:12 am

I regretted selling my Gamecube when times were hard, but was later ecstatic to find out that my recently purchased Wii could play GC games! Resident Evil here we go again :D
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:42 am

I kinda regret handing over a tenner at a car boot sale for a Game Gear + a few games only to find it didn't sodding work. :evil:
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:53 am

Selling my Atari 2600 & a load of games in the late 80's for £15 - I bought some speccy game with the proceeds, I can't even remember which one it was! :oops:

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:24 pm

<sadmode>

Leaving my Amiga 1200, Amiga 500 and Phillips monitor at my sisters house, only to find out [cannot repeat what i think of her] that she THREW THEM OUT.

She did not even have the sense to sell them or give them to charity not that that was an option either.

Now i only have one Amiga.

Thankfully my nephew kept all the games under his bed, need to slip him a few quid when i go back again.

</sadmode>
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:49 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
batman877 wrote:Paying £40 for 'Mickey Mouse World of Illusion' on the Megadrive was a huge mistake back in the 90's. I loved Castle of Illusion so much that I wanted more... but WOI was so easy that I walked through it on my first go!

But Castle Of Illusion was also easy enough to finish on a first go too, wasn't it? At least I did when I played it for the first time about 10 years back....
I understand where you are coming from, I can finish it no problem these days, but back then I found Castle of Illusion fairly challenging, particularly the later levels. World of Illusion is just super easy throughout back then and now!

plumduff

Post by plumduff » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:29 pm

One regret is not having a high score sheet I kept back in the day, would have been nice to remember what I was playing - and how crap I was...

An old photo shows me sitting in the bedroom with the paper on the wall behind me. Sadly the picture is to small to read.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:49 pm

flying_delorean81 wrote:I regretted selling my Gamecube when times were hard, but was later ecstatic to find out that my recently purchased Wii could play GC games! Resident Evil here we go again :D
I've been thinking about buying the Wii and the thought of playing Resident Evil again is a huge incentive for me. How does the console stand up against the 360 for example in terms of hardware?
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."