retro regrets ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slightly delayed

retro regrets ?

Post by slightly delayed » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:27 pm

A couple of the other threads inspired this,

What are your retro regrets ?Stuff you've bought and wish you hadn't

Mine is the A600 sat in the bottom of my chest of drawers, I got it over 2 years ago i think i've turned it on maybe twice, mainly because the day i got it my flat got broken into and half the few disks got trashed and the mouse was stolen (not sure why anybody would steal a mouse, the ps2 and leave the saturn) but i've just never bothered with it, i coverted one as a kid now i have one its just wasted one day i'll play it maybe

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:33 pm

*Takes in deep breath to summon the confidence for typing post*

I'll probably get flamed to hell for saying it but my choice would be... Snatcher (Mega-CD). :shock: Whilst I appreciate the design, styling, atmosphere etc I find it really dull to play.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:34 pm

I sold my saturn first time around with panzer dragoon saga, marvel super heroes, virtua cop boxed set and a buch of other stuff for £30 :oops: At the time I needed the money to buy a PS1 to tide me over till the dreamcast came along.

It gets worse, I loved panzer dragoon so much I cut up the outer box to make a poster before I sold it. I still have it as a badge of shame now.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I sold my saturn first time around with panzer dragoon saga, marvel super heroes, virtua cop boxed set and a buch of other stuff for £30 :oops: At the time I needed the money to buy a PS1 to tide me over till the dreamcast came along.

It gets worse, I loved panzer dragoon so much I cut up the outer box to make a poster before I sold it. I still have it as a badge of shame now.
Horrific story! I hope Dreamcast proved to be to your liking. If you consequently ever sold it to buy a PS2 then you're beyond redemption!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Regretted selling my original Speccy years ago bundled with tonssss of games for 75 quid ! I was skint though, hadnt used the Speccy for years and needed the money. Of course if i realise then what i knew now i would have kept it.

Then again i used to keep stuff like that and never use it for years so its a waste really. The machines one thing, getting rid of all my favourite games back then i was sad to do

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Yowch. My retro regrets are also things I've sold, rather than things I've purchased.
Selling most of my PS1 games (including Final Fantasy Tactics, Vandal Hearts, Bubble Bobble collection) and ALL of my N64 games (US versions of Mario, Wave Race, Pilotwings and Goldeneye) back in the dark days of '98, when I was skint and lacking in foresight.

Since then I've made a point of keeping all of my games, with only a Lynx & games, a Jaguar & Tempest and a PC Engine GT being sold- none of which I've regretted.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:53 pm

AlleyKat wrote: Since then I've made a point of keeping all of my games, with only a Lynx & games, a Jaguar & Tempest and a PC Engine GT being sold- none of which I've regretted.
We certainly have different views on some aspects of gaming as those two Atari systems are amongst my favourite and I've often thought about buying a PCE GT. :lol:

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:06 pm

I gave away my ZX81 with the wonderful 'Murgatroyd's Revenge' (which I've never seen a copy of since). Should have kept it. My first computer and the object and I loved it.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:09 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: We certainly have different views on some aspects of gaming as those two Atari systems are amongst my favourite and I've often thought about buying a PCE GT. :lol:
I must admit, I never felt the love for the Lynx or Jaguar. Tempest 2000 on the Jag was immense, though.

The PCE GT has a superb screen, but is too damn bulky and a real battery guzzler- I sold it to help fund purchase of a white PCE and CD-ROM, which suited me far better.

I'm sure we can bond manfully over the Dreamcast though, dude.
:wink:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:10 pm

The Mega Drive version of Sparkster from Ebay a couple of years back. Paid £15 for it but don't like it anywhere near as much as Rocket Knight Adventures. :(

The SNES version of Sparkster is better.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:32 pm

AlleyKat wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I'm sure we can bond manfully over the Dreamcast though, dude.
:wink:
We English aren't exactly renowned for bonding with "dudes"! :lol:

Dreamcast rules!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Couple of small regrets, luckily nothing to major:

Found a complete copy of Deep Fear in Gamestation for £20 but passed on it as I wasn't to aware of what it was. When I found out it was the last PAL Saturn game and an excellent survival game I went back to get it but it was already sold :cry: . Got one a couple of years later for £40.
Another one was when I picked up a supergun to play MVS games but eventually sold it on along with the MVS games as it was only wired for 4 button games (so no Marvel Super Heroes for me.) I don't regret getting rid of the supergun as I have a much better one but I wish I kept the games, I really miss my KOF96, Last Blade 2 and Real Bout 2.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:40 pm

Regrets I've had a few...

Selling my Spectrum +2 with about 200 original games that included originals of Knightlore Sabrewulf etc. For 100 quid to buy an Amiga A500 in 1990.

And....

Selling my Oric-1 with Zorgons Revenge & Fooball Manager for 30 quid to buy a rubber keyed ZX Spectrum for 50 quid!! I tend to keep everything now!!

Who knew a game would be worth more than the machine!!

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:54 pm

Swapping my Crash and Zzap mags for a similar number of Razzle mags.

Throwing out the Razzle mags before they were discovered by my mother.

Never buying an Amiga 500.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

thl

Post by thl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Giving away some Gameboy games to my cousins, which included F-1 Racing, Super Mario Land 2 and Super RC Pro-AM.