Arcade Anecdotes

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:01 am

mikeb wrote:
Doddsy wrote: Next time, If it happens again which of course it never did I'll put in the initials censored or FUK or something!! :lol:
Hehe. An interesting experiment might be to see how many arcade games don't let you input 'naughty' words in the high score table - I think most of the Taito games (including Bubble Bobble) replace them with something else entirely :)
Surprisingly, the ultra violent Mortal Kombat 4 stops you entering FUK or PIS. I've tried :(

It may be because the initials are read out by the in game announcer after you enter them...
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:17 am

scunny wrote:The high score mention reminds me of another story:

I used to play XMen Vs Streetfighter a lot and got very good at it, I could often complete it on one credit, one time I went to an arcade and drew quite a crowd as I stormed through it. When I triumphantly went to put my name in, "GAZ", I pressed the final couple of buttons a bit quick and selected a Y instead of a Z. The crowd dispersed quickly and I shuffled off, head down.
:D Haha that story made me giggle!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:29 am

flying_delorean81 wrote: When I triumphantly went to put my name in, "GAZ", I pressed the final couple of buttons a bit quick and selected a Y instead of a Z. The crowd dispersed quickly and I shuffled off, head down.
:lol:

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:37 am

some tricks people used to do
I remember if you zapped the coin slot in a particular place on particular machines with a BBQ igniter (out of a gas BBQ) and after about 20 tries you'd get a credit.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:18 pm

I was in an arcade in Blackpool with the guys off NowLoading and we'd just finished a rather fun session on House of the Dead 4. Another bloke started playing it, and we came back later to find the same guy at the last boss, but he got killed. Poor bloke was searching his pockets for a pound to finish the guy off, and he was nearly out of time, so I popped a pound in for him, basically so I could see the ending. So he killed the boss, we watched the ending, and much smiles were had all round. He found me later on and gave me the elusive pound, too.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:15 am

When I was in the sixth-from at my local Comp. we were all forced to visit a local university by our somewhat psychotic Economics tutor (slight aside here, this guy banned myself and three mates from the sixth form for a week for playing '50p football' -shoving a coin back and forth across a desk! - and making too much noise. As we were banned we weren't allowed in to our tutor rooms so we were getting busted for being there, busted for not being there and so on. The guy was eventually forced to apologise to us.)

At the university 99 per cent of the sixth-formers diligently attended seminars on various courses, whilst four of us who had no intention of going to university headed straight to the Student Union bar which had a selection of arcade machines. We played Mutant Ninja Turtles most of the day, except for one session (economics) which we attended under fear of death.

Another aside: as it happens I actually ended up a student that that very university; I'd been persuaded by my then-girlfriend that I should obtain a degree (she was incredibly intelligent and totally out of my league), and ended up half-way across the country in a dismal, raining concrete edifice. After a year I transfered to a course at the local university - the Turtles had packed up and left by this stage though, which was fortunate as it meant I spent my time studying instead of gaming!

supermario

Post by supermario » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:19 pm

I've been barred from playing Gauntlet at our local fair for playing too long on 10p :D .

shifter

Post by shifter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:40 pm

Way back when I was much younger around 1982 if memory serves me correctly, went on holidays with the parents being around 13 didn’t want the sun coundt get the beer and didn’t have a scooby doo about the other thing!!!!

The only saving grace of the entire trip on this holiday in Majorca was the "moon cresta" machine which was in a dark corner of the hotels entertainment section...

Now at the time my local chippy had same machine so I was quite good at it no expert but no mug either, so of course before long my name was at top of screen.

Then my crowing glory happened a rather famous footballer at the time checked into our hotel with his kids and a few night later there I was playing the cresta and he and his son were stood behind me watching his son waiting for a game..

Of course I broke the high score and can remember slowly but surely as I typed in no not my name but my fave footy team "west ham united" now it may of been"WHUFC" cant recall, but as I stood from machine and walked away looking straight at "Mr. Kenny Dalglish" with a feeling of pure pride... and the arrogant attitude that only a 13 year old can have thinking beat that score Mr. flashy footballer!!!!!