Arcade Anecdotes

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Doddsy

Arcade Anecdotes

Post by Doddsy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:08 am

Does anyone have any Arcade Anecdotes to share?

For example, when I was holidaying in Barmouth in 1988 which was wet even then! The Caravan site had an arcade that was something out of Saphire & Steel. All the games were really old like Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Battle Zone & Astro fighter. To add to the general eeriness it was always deserted - my bro & I never saw anyone there the whole time we stayed. It was as if it was the Arcade that time forgot! :shock:

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:19 am

I've related this one on another thread somewhere, but I can't find it now.

I was on holiday in Majorca with my mother when I was 13; far too young to benefit from the holiday, I was bored rigid (and when I was 13 kids didn't drink alcohol like George-Best wannabes). Luckily I was saved by Kung Fu Master in the hotel bar area (the arcade machine, not friendly black-belt), and a small arcade run by two friendly natives who spoke functional English.

I spent most of the day in the arcade playing Side-Arms, and most of the evening in the bar clocking Kung-Fu Master; I could run virtually continuously on one credit as, unbeknownst to me, the machine set to very easy on the DIP switches. This led to an altercation with some kid's father as I was accused of hogging the machine - I was too young to take that as an accidental compliment.

Side-Arms was a different story - it ate my cash like it was possessed by Gordon Brown. I was on first-name terms with the couple who ran the arcade, and even received postcards from them for a few months after the holiday!

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:38 am

When I was a kid we went to blackpool on holiday and while I was playing a robocop arcade machine in the pleasure beach, a fat guy came up behind me and pretended to be humping me, and a security guard chased him away

True story. :shock: :?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:57 am

Once went into the arcade they used to have at meadowhall and put 20p in the Street Fighter 2 machine they had to secure the next go, as someone was already playing on it, the guy then offered to take me on but I declined as I wasn't really that good at it, 'go on you might be good' he says so I reluctantly took him on, I picked Blanka and he chose Honda and then his mate took hold of the stick while he hammered the fire button to do the hundred hand slap and that was all they did, anyway they ended up getting a bit of a pasting :D
Splink!

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:03 am

I went up to a Robocop coin-op and started mucking around with the controls. I quickly realised I was actually playing the game and not messing about with the demo without having put in any coins. I died within seconds and that's the end of that anecdote.

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:27 am

I remember a family trip in the 80s, somewhere exotic like cleethorpes or skegness. Me and my cousin found a double dragon arcade machine and were hooked. Funded by my mum and my uncle we got all the way through to the last level, and when the end came we had to fight each other.

We didn't really know why though and spent too long avoiding each other. Then time ran out and it just said game over. All that time and money and we didn't even finish it. Still annoys me to this day.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:03 pm

At the cinema a few months ago with my girlfriend, I spotted a Time Crisis 3 machine just aching to be played. We had about 10 mins until our film started and it ended up with me having to hand the gun over to a little kid who was watching, otherwise we would have missed the start of the film. I was gutted as I was having a great game (I owned the game on PS2 but could never resist the arcade guns with moving parts :D ), but my girlfriend cheered me up when she told me that the little kid was telling his buddies how "awesome" I was at the game! It's little achievements like that that keep me loving video games.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:37 pm

David wrote:When I was a kid we went to blackpool on holiday and while I was playing a robocop arcade machine in the pleasure beach, a fat guy came up behind me and pretended to be humping me, and a security guard chased him away

Apologies for that, i had been drinking heavily and didnt realise what i was doing that day. I've also lost a lot of weight since that incident and dont touch vodka anymore.

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:25 pm

I went to Land's End when I was 9 or 10 with my primary school, and when we were supposed to be looking at some boring crapola me and a mate snuck off and found the arcade, wherein was ensconced a Mortal Kombat arcade machine.

I stuck my shiny fifty pee in and had a go, and this big fat kid came over and interrupted my one-player game by challenging me...

And I kicked his ass. Uppercutted him into the Pit! He went off with his tail between his legs and I got to carry on with my solo quest to beat the game uninterrupted. :)

It's always good to play arrogant, ignorant morons at arcade games... :lol:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 pm

David wrote:When I was a kid we went to blackpool on holiday and while I was playing a robocop arcade machine in the pleasure beach, a fat guy came up behind me and pretended to be humping me, and a security guard chased him away

I've met my fare share of weird people in Arcades too! Once I was in an Arcade and this lad had just finished playing Crossbow and walked off, so I walked up to the machine put my coin in but the high score table was still being displayed so I put my name in thinking that he's gone, next thing this lad comes back gives me GBH of the ear about putting my name in and storms off!! :shock: Next time, If it happens again which of course it never did I'll put in the initials censored or FUK or something!! :lol:

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:02 pm

A strong memory I have is of a game I can't remember. It was a top down racing game , bit like spy hunter, where you could drive into other cars and knock them off the road. Think there were spike things on the wheels. You got points for crashing cars off the track.

I was getting high scores all week of my holiday, by the last day there was a crowd of four or five other kids watching me (I was about 10 or 11 at the time). An older kid, who must have been about 16, walked up and proceeded to hammer my high score by avoiding other cars. Turned out we'd all been playing the game wrong - I went from hero to zero in record time :)

DJevAL

Post by DJevAL » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Haha! Some good stories so far.

Cant think of anything that special though I spent every summer holiday in an arcade at least once a day until I stopped going on holiday with the parents.

I remember though I was addicted to Tecmo's World Cup '90 and I'd be devastated to be taken to an arcade without it in it. One evening my dad took me to one and this old guy was just hogging the machine all evening. It got to near the arcades closing time before he sodded off and so I leapt on it. As I reached the 3rd to last match we realised it was the arcades closing time and all the machines and lights were being switched off. The manager had seen me waiting patiently for so long, so he was kind enough to let me finish my game and win the world cup way after he should have closed :D What a nice old chap! Happy arcade-ing memories, so many of them.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:13 am

Doddsy wrote: Next time, If it happens again which of course it never did I'll put in the initials censored or FUK or something!! :lol:
Hehe. An interesting experiment might be to see how many arcade games don't let you input 'naughty' words in the high score table - I think most of the Taito games (including Bubble Bobble) replace them with something else entirely :)

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:32 am

Interesting stories for this post got a few more here!

There were some tricks people used to do whilst trying to play their fav arcade games maybe you've done some of them yourself. Here are a few;

1) Checking the return slot on machines to see if any spare 10p's were there. Pushing the return button sometimes worked too!

2) Asking someone for their last life on a game - this sometimes worked depending on if you knew the guy!

3) This one might have been a myth but pushing matchsticks into the machine slot triggered a credit though this only worked in dark arcades!

4) Bumping into the 10p penny falls to get some 10p's though you had to be careful not to set the alarm off.

5) Telling the arcade staff that you put xx money into the machine and the credit hasn't come up. So they open up the machine and give you xx money back to play the game!

scunny

Post by scunny » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:41 am

The high score mention reminds me of another story:

I used to play XMen Vs Streetfighter a lot and got very good at it, I could often complete it on one credit, one time I went to an arcade and drew quite a crowd as I stormed through it. When I triumphantly went to put my name in, "GAZ", I pressed the final couple of buttons a bit quick and selected a Y instead of a Z. The crowd dispersed quickly and I shuffled off, head down.