Handheld consoles you had in the past

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

boyo

Handheld consoles you had in the past

Post by boyo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:15 am

I rembember having Astro Wars one Christmas and then losing days and days playing it. It was sorta like Moon Cresta with the docuking levels and colourfull graphic.

The sound was quite tinny, and playing it for any length of time gave you cramp in your left hand. Still a classic little machine.

May look to get another one. A feature for it can be seen on the GV site.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:21 am

That was a great game, my personal favourite was still Firefox. Lots of games back then had the same level over and over but Firefox had a few different stages.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:31 am

I had Astro Wars too. I'd say it was definitely one of the best electronic games of the time (table-tops? dunno if this is the recognised term for such games).

Anyway, my dad gave it away! :(

My brother still has a couple of his though. A space invaders one, quite common - long, yellow, big red square fire button.
Another which is quite like a space invaders/galaxian type thing but a 2nd player can take control of the aliens and swoop down one at a time.

I'll try and get pics next time I see him.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:42 am

I had an old tomytronic game called Shark Attack or something similar, a racr driving one that is featured in one of the recent pics in the "pictures of you" thread in off topic, these were the ones that you held up to your eyes like a pair of binoculars.

I also had a "table top" Tomy Caveman and Astro Blaster which was the EU title for scramble. I had another pocket version of Scramble too and the little Nintendo Orange Donky Kong machine. I think that was about it.

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:54 am

I had astro wars.. still do but the screen has a bit of a crack on it. I had Firefox too which was quite fun.

I also had one called Earth Invaders which saw you running around a little maze digging holes and waiting for the aliens to fall in, after which you would fill in the hole and kill them. Sounds odd but was very addictive.

I had a pinball one as well but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, was red and quite longish, loved it though and was gutted when it broke.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:11 am

I had one of those for such a long time:

Such a good LCD handheld that got me playing for ages.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:18 am

I remember having an old Tiger LCD Street Fighter 2 game before I could afford the Snes version. Used to play it non stop back in the day despite the fact it was nowhere near as good as the proper game! I also remember having a Sonic 2 handheld simular to it as well, which was pretty good for the time.

I remember getting this one for christmas:
Image, wish I knew where I left the thing as it was an addictive game I wouldn't mind playing again for old times sake.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:26 am

I had a trip down memory lane and bought Firefox from ebay a few years ago. Regretted selling my original, a fair few still go for a decent price

thl

Post by thl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 am

ShadowMan wrote:I remember getting this one for christmas:

wish I knew where I left the thing as it was an addictive game I wouldn't mind playing again for old times sake.
Use to love playing this back in the early days. Also I played the Tiger LCD version of Double Dragon II, Mega Man II and Shinobi.

More handheld electronics here.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:03 am

The first 'handheld' I had was an LED Space Invaders/Breakout game that was advertised in the back of the Sunday papers. I got it for Christmas in 1978, it was the size of a brick, looked vaguely like an arcade cabinet in shape with two triangular buttons for left and right on the side and a red fire button on the front. The 'invaders' were LEDs as was the 'base'. You really had to use your imagination but it was horribly addictive in those pre DS and PSP days. Unfortunately it broke sometime in the 80s and I binned it.

Next up was a Grandstand Scramble 'tabletop' which I still own and this was followed by 'Munchman' and 'Firefox F-7'. Again I still have these. At some point I also acquired a Mattel Sub Hunt game that resembled thl's 'Missile Invader'. I think I gave this to my cousin when I left home yet the Grandstand machines stayed on top of the wardrobe in my old room until my father found them and we were reunited a few years ago.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:11 am

My dad bought me a genuine Pacman arcade machine..then I woke up and had Munchman for my birthday! Was the longest day in school ever! Still got it boxed too!

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:58 am

ahh... here is my earth invaders game

and here is the pinball game, wildfire it was called... may it rest in peace

luzur

Post by luzur » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:09 pm

i still have my Octopus and Zelda game & watch games. :)

and i bought a few more now.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:23 pm

My brother still has a couple of his though. A space invaders one, quite common - long, yellow, big red square fire button.
Galaxy Invader perhaps? My brother has it too, still working but looks a bit worse for ware nowadays though.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:53 pm

I never had one of those kinds of hand-helds, but my cousin used to have an Astro Wars. I spent a lot of time playing it! I keep meaning to get one from eBay, but I think they cost a lot now. :(