Favourite Flight Simulators

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:46 am

Deadly Skies was ace.
Thoughts and prayers.

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:52 am

Fighter Pilot on the Spectrum was the very first flight sim I played, unfortunately it was way too complicated for me at the time (I must have been about 7 or 8 years old) so I just thought it was boring. About a year or so later I gave it another try and I still remember the joy of just being able to land the plane.

ATF was a more arcadey flight sim, but I loved the dynamic campaign engine.

The game that really got me into flight sims was Fighter Bomber, also on the Spectrum. The graphics were very good and it had a good selection of aircraft, I remember being particularly impressed by the sweeping wings of the Tornado and Mig-27. The missions were well designed and there was a good sense of progression. I remember enjoying the booklet with lots of info on the various aircraft.

F-18 Interceptor was one of the first 16 bit games I played, and convinced me that I had to get an Amiga. It was visually so impressive, and things like carrier take offs and landings as well as flying under the golden gate bridge were awesome.

F19 Interceptor, F15 whatever it was, Falcon, Birds of Prey, and Wings were all pretty good, but my favourite Amiga flight sim was Gunship 2000 by Microprose. Compared to fixed wing flight sims, the freedom of movement was amazing, flying through railway tunnels or popping up over hillsides to blast the bejeebus out of sam sites was pretty special. Again, the dynamic campaign engine added some strategic elements to gameplay, plus it was also one of the first games I played that had squad management, where you could give other pilots orders in game and award them medals and promotions for their performance - which meant they performed better in future missions. I don't think I've seen this feature in any flight sim since then, and it's one that I miss.

Thunderhawk by Core was another good one, it had storyline based campaigns, excellent graphics making the presentation overall very slick. The missions were very well designed, I seem to remember one where you had to blow up a power plant in order to shut down the defences at the final objective.

Ok, this is becoming a long post... On the PC I liked F22 Interceptor and it's add-on Total Air War. Enemy Engaged - Apache vs Havoc and its expansion / sequel are still great and there's still an active mod scene even 8 years after its first release. However, many games like Falcon 4.0, Lock on: Modern air combat and MS Flight Sim are all IMO far too complicated to be enjoyable.

Wow, I really used to like flight sims, I don't think I've played one in at least 2 years now, the missus has somehow arranged our home office so that there's never space on the desk for a flight joystick so it's just ended up collecting dust in the attic at my cabin about 200km from where I live :(

One day I will fly again!

vp002

Flight sims

Post by vp002 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:06 am

Dear all,

Dont flame me but ,

Aviator - bbc b
F22 interceptor - megadrive
Dropship - ps2 (i know its not a sim but still good)

vp002

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 am

Opa-Opa wrote:I really enjoy Microsoft Combat flight sim on the PC.
I managed to pick up a big box version, still sealed for £1.50 the other week :)
the first one on 5.25 floppy disks? bought it from a flea recently for 0.50 :)

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:32 am

To tell you the truth, the only Flight Simulator I have ever used at great length is one on the ZX81 many many years ago. I used to enjoy looking for the landmarks and flying over them... Those were the days.

I have tried a few since, including Microsoft's Simulators and a couple of Militry ones, but if I can't take off or land at first attempt, or need to look at a HUGE manual for the keys I just give up! Time is as easy to come by as it used to be!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:34 am

hydr0x wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:I really enjoy Microsoft Combat flight sim on the PC.
I managed to pick up a big box version, still sealed for £1.50 the other week :)
the first one on 5.25 floppy disks? bought it from a flea recently for 0.50 :)
No Combat flight sim, the WWII Spitfire game (I know, but who would want to use anything else..)

I found it very easy to play with a good joystick, not complicated like the modern Flight Sims at all, just build your speed up, pull back on the stick and retract the landing gear.

Once your in the air keep an eye on the altitude and blast anything that moves above the Kent country side, fantastic...

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:04 am

Opa-Opa wrote: No Combat flight sim, the WWII Spitfire game (I know, but who would want to use anything else..)
ah, somehow missed the Combat bit :P Got that one too, unfortunately only in a jewel case re-release

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 pm

Scooby1970 wrote:To tell you the truth, the only Flight Simulator I have ever used at great length is one on the ZX81 many many years ago. I used to enjoy looking for the landmarks and flying over them... Those were the days.
The Psion one? I had that. Being an impatient 10 year old, I wasn't really any good at it. I barely got off the runway, I didn't even know there were any landmarks. I longed to see the runway landing lights but gave it up pretty quickly. Wish I'd stuck with it now.

Come to think of it, it was a pain in the arse to get working anyway. I had RAMpack wobble big time. Butterflies taking off in the rain forest would crash my ZX81.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:07 pm

liveinabin wrote:
Scooby1970 wrote:To tell you the truth, the only Flight Simulator I have ever used at great length is one on the ZX81 many many years ago. I used to enjoy looking for the landmarks and flying over them... Those were the days.
The Psion one? I had that. Being an impatient 10 year old, I wasn't really any good at it. I barely got off the runway, I didn't even know there were any landmarks. I longed to see the runway landing lights but gave it up pretty quickly. Wish I'd stuck with it now.

Come to think of it, it was a pain in the arse to get working anyway. I had RAMpack wobble big time. Butterflies taking off in the rain forest would crash my ZX81.
Yeah! That was the one... I learned pretty quick that a bit of blu-tack was all you needed to stop ram-pack-wobble. Loved the old ZX81, though emulated it last year and think I will just keep it in my memory!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Does Pilotwings count ??

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:00 pm

The only one I've ever really spent time playing is F22 Interceptor on the MD. I used to love using the weapons-cam to guide missles into tanks and stuff, that ruled! I also played Deadly Skies on the DC a fair bit.

Does Star Fighter on the 3DO count? Despite its name, much of it takes place within atmospheres and most targets are ground based. I love that game (but only on the 3DO - the Saturn and PS1 versions are dreadful), I've spent many many hours on it. :P

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:14 pm

The one that i have a soft spot for is the Psion- Flight Simulator on the 16k Speccy. Really basic with just night lights and a horizon but it really pulled you in and it felt great to land the thing between the runway lights.

Also loved retaliator on the Amiga 500...

RIK

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Tomahawk on the Speccy was awesome , as was Gunship on the C64

Tbh the best flight sims tend to be helicopter based , as the combat and tactical manuevarability is far more evident from almost ground level

Rising up from behind a hill to let fly a couple of Sidewinders before dipping back into cover was a fantastic experience

Best flight sim involving planes (assume Wings doesnt count?) was probably Knights of the Sky. The fact that you could land pretty much anywhere on the map was pretty cool

Ace of Aces on C64 also gets an honourable mention. Whilst not too accurate as a sim , great fun none-the-less
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:31 pm

I loved: C64: Gunship, Project Stealth Fighter, Acro Jet, Solo Flight, Twin Tornado, Ace, Ace2, Ace of Aces, Dambusters, Spitfire 40.

Amiga: F29 Retaliator (kept crashing alot unfortunatley), Birds Of Prey, Flight Simulator (Sublogic, before MS took them over), Fighter Bomber, Falcon, A10 Tank Killer, F16 Combat Pilot, F18 Interceptor, Their Finest Hour, Battlehawks 1942, Chuck Yeagers Advanced Flight Trainer, A6 Intruder, Thunderhawk

Probably some others aswell..... :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:34 pm

I would say the only true flight sim (even though it was pretty arcade-like at heart) I enjoyed was FA/18 Interceptor on the Amiga. That was an amazing game for it's time. Other true flight sims are too spoddy for me.

Pilotwings 64 was also great :P