Your favourite fifth generation console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Amiga CD32
6%
3DO
2%
Atari Jaguar
2%
Sony Playstation
55%
Nintendo 64
36%

Total votes: 53

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:31 am

Mine is the N64. Its top games are the best IMO. Zelda OOT,Mario 64,Donkey Kong 64,Goldeneye,Perfect Dark,Exitebike 64,Lylat Wars and more.

It really is a great system, one that is a little underated.

I also like the PS1 too, FF7,FF8,C&C,Syphon Filter,ISS Pro Evo 2,Resident Evil.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:36 am

If I had to choose to own one of those machines now , it would be a 3DO. But for games , any of the other systems would be hard pressed to even come close to matching the quality of Mario 64 , Waverace , Zelda OOT and Goldeneye
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:45 am

The N64, though I didn't own until years later, I think the Dreamcast had been canceled by then. A friend had one, though, with Goldeneye and, uh, Sub-Zero, so that was good.

I gave this generation a skip. I didn't have the funds yet to buy into it, and I was "too old" to receive games machines as gifts. Saturn's the only Sega machine I don't have any great affection for, I honestly can't recall ever even handling a joypad. I did also have a Playstation, the later PSone model I spent my first real wages packet on as a celebration, but I never really warmed to it. Style over substance.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:55 am

N64 for me although I anticipate arguments over what counts as fifth, or any other generation!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:12 am

Ive gone for the Playstation......while I think the N64 was quality, its back catalogue wasnt massive. But dont get me wrong, I think you can certainly say the N64 back catalogue was quality over quantity!

But for me, the variety on the PS1 was much wider, and is also home to some of my favourite games of all time (metal gear solid, SOTN, FFVII etc....)

Right, im off to boot up 1964 for some fun on Blast Corps!

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:23 am

Gotta be the PlayStation for me - this was the console that really got me into gaming and influenced so much of my youth. I still believe it to be the best console ever made.
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:44 am

I voted Atari Jaguar as the poll is asking for one's favourite console which doesn't necessarily mean the best console. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

oldskool81

Post by oldskool81 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:28 am

Saturn, with the N64 a close secound!!

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:13 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:I voted Atari Jaguar as the poll is asking for one's favourite console which doesn't necessarily mean the best console. :)
Theres no such thing as a best console. Just because the PS1 sold the most consoles by a mile doesn't mean its the best console.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:17 am

nesmaster wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I voted Atari Jaguar as the poll is asking for one's favourite console which doesn't necessarily mean the best console. :)
Theres no such thing as a best console. Just because the PS1 sold the most consoles by a mile doesn't mean its the best console.
I was trying to say that most people will have a view on which console from whatever generation was the best even though that would be a subjective view. I may not necessarily consider Jaguar to have been the best of that generation but its certainly my personal favourite.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:22 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
nesmaster wrote:
I was trying to say that most people will have a view on which console from whatever generation was the best even though that would be a subjective view. I may not necessarily consider Jaguar to have been the best of that generation but its certainly my personal favourite.
I would have thought you'd have been more of a Saturn lover rather than a Jaguar one :?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:31 am

I'm going for the saturn, despite the fact that 1080º, banjo and zelda on the N64 are some of my all time favourite games.

The N64 was a good machine but there were only about 20 games worth collecting on it, the PS1 had a huge number of games but most have aged badly. The saturn had the most top notch games and a lot of them still play well now.

It's a lot tougher choice with these 3 consoles than it is in other generations though.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:32 am

nesmaster wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I would have thought you'd have been more of a Saturn lover rather than a Jaguar one :?
I see your point :D but Jaguar has Alien VS. Predator, the best version of the sublime Tempest 2000, Protector and Gorf (the only arcade-perfect version ever released, if you're lucky in the extreme and actually own this uber-rare Jaguar CD title which I happen to).

I know Saturn has several AAA titles too but for me Jaguar wins out. Whether that's my heart ruling my head I don't know but there we go. :)

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:40 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
nesmaster wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I would have thought you'd have been more of a Saturn lover rather than a Jaguar one :?
I see your point :D but Jaguar has Alien VS. Predator, the best version of the sublime Tempest 2000, Protector and Gorf (the only arcade-perfect version ever released, if you're lucky in the extreme and actually own this uber-rare Jaguar CD title which I happen to).

I know Saturn has several AAA titles too but for me Jaguar wins out. Whether that's my heart ruling my head I don't know but there we go. :)
No offence but you must be a big fan of the Jaguar to buy the CD add on. I heard there was only about six or seven games released on the system and they are also very expensive.
I recently bought a Jaguar, and i must say its not too bad a console from what i've played of it :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:52 am

nesmaster wrote: No offence but you must be a big fan of the Jaguar to buy the CD add on. I heard there was only about six or seven games released on the system and they are also very expensive.
I recently bought a Jaguar, and i must say its not too bad a console from what i've played of it :)
Lol! No offence taken :) .

Yes, I really enjoy my Jaguar for a whole host of reasons not least the great online community it still has primarily at Jaguar Sector II and also at Atariage.

Jagaur CD had a few more titles than six or seven but not many more - [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Jaguar_CD[url]. It does actually have a few more releases that aren't on that Wikipedia list including several homebrew releases and demos of unreleased/unfinished games.

Maybe I'm a sucker for underdog systems as I most enjoy systems like Jaguar, Dreamcast, Saturn and WonderSwan. Maybe I should add PS3 to that list?! Heck, I even bought a Nintendo Virtual Boy the other day! :lol:

P.S. If you enjoy Jaguar be sure to get a Scart cable as the improvement is substantial.