Horizontal or vertical shmups?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Horizontal or Vertical?

Horizontal
19
35%
Vertical
19
35%
Love Both!
17
31%
 
Total votes: 55

User avatar
Ash
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Horizontal or vertical shmups?

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:29 am

Do you prefer horizontal (side scroling) or vertical (up screen) shooters?

Personally, I prefer the horizontal ones. They seem to be more about playing strategically to get through all the levels in as few lives as possible whereas the vertical shooters are simpler score-attack games. Both are fun but the horizontal ones are more enjoyable to me.

What's your opinion?
Last edited by Ash on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kai
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:19 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Post by Kai » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:26 am

That's very hard to decide. I like both horizontal and vertical as long as they're playable, fair and challenging.
My personal favorites: SWIV, Battle Squadron, Silkworm, R-Type, Uridium II, River Raid, Parodius, Dragon Breed, Project-X

User avatar
Ash
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:30 am

Nice choices.

I was playing Darius Gaiden yesterday when I suddenly realised that all my favourite shooters are side scrollers: Gradius, R-Type, Parodius, Project X

I like vertical scrollers too but most of them just feel like crazy bullet throwers to me.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:32 am

For every decent horizontal shooter,there's an equally good vertical.

The same question has also been asked of football games.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Ash
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re:

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:36 am

paranoid marvin wrote:For every decent horizontal shooter,there's an equally good vertical.

The same question has also been asked of football games.
Well, you're right. There are good examples of both but I'm asking which style you prefer.

preownedgames.co.uk
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:15 am

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:44 am

can I be controversial and say that i've never been a massive fan of either ? With the possible exception of SWIV and xenon 2 , so i suppose I would have to say vertical.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:02 am

Ash wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:For every decent horizontal shooter,there's an equally good vertical.

The same question has also been asked of football games.
Well, you're right. There are good examples of both but I'm asking which style you prefer.

I'm trying to say I don't know! :lol:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Ash
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re:

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:03 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Ash wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:For every decent horizontal shooter,there's an equally good vertical.

The same question has also been asked of football games.
Well, you're right. There are good examples of both but I'm asking which style you prefer.

I'm trying to say I don't know! :lol:
:D

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Post by TMR » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:59 am

i put horizontal because my personal favourites are almost all horizontal; Enforcer, Io, Armalyte and far too many more to name on the C64, the Gradius series, the two Thundercross titles, Chronos, R-Type and Transmuter on the Speccy... the list goes on.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:24 am

TMR wrote:i put horizontal because my personal favourites are almost all horizontal; Enforcer, Io, Armalyte and far too many more to name on the C64, the Gradius series, the two Thundercross titles, Chronos, R-Type and Transmuter on the Speccy... the list goes on.

Ah Transmuter-a great R-Type clone on a budget
lovely little game I think by Codemasters (or was it Players?)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
stigodump
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:58 pm

Post by stigodump » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:37 am

Well whichever style is your favourite, when confronted with the other style, just turn the moniter on it's side.

Hey presto!

User avatar
Ash
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:06 am

I forgot the Thunderforce series too. Although one of the MD ones wasn't purely horizontal. Tis good stuff.

User avatar
stigodump
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:58 pm

Post by stigodump » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:13 am

To add to the list (as well as those mentioned in the Chopper games thread)
Truxton, Gunhed and the Soldier series on PC Engine along with Gates and Winds of Thunder on the same machine.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:15 am

Would it be fair to say that vertical shooters are usually harder than horizontal?

My main recollection of most vertical games is having to dodge the huge number of of bullets missiles etc fired at you
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
stigodump
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:58 pm

Post by stigodump » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:25 am

Well Truxton and Battle Squadron would support that.

But R-Type.

Although Truxton is probably still harder.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest