What game(s) are you best at?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:39 am

Some of my start turns -

Cannon Fodder
Sensible Soccer
Space Harrier
Side Arms - Hyper Dyne
Sega Rally 2
Ghost 'n' Goblins
Green Beret
Tony Hawks 3
And the peice duh resistance - SSX Tricky. Though I say so myself, I'm INSANELY good at it, I've developed a real 'feel' for it.

I think not all games qualify for this tbh - there's only certain games you can 'get good at', others you just seem to 'play through' - I've mentioned this in another thread. I played a lot of Lego Star Wars recently - that's like playing through a book, like a lot of 'story-based' games. Games that you can accquire a skill for tend to be reaction-based, like racers and fighters, rather than learning your way through. They both have their merits tho.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:42 am

Yeah Lego Star Wars has no real sense of challenge, its entertaining but just a matter of time until you get to the end rather than 'if'.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:46 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Often I have great sessions when I play alone, but then mess up badly when I try to show friends how good I (think I) am. :(
Ha! that sounds familiar, although there have been some glorious exceptions. Back when Wipeout 2097 was still fairly new, in front of a few gaming chums, I absolutely aced it. Perfect lap, after perfect lap on almost every track resulted in my being refered to as "The Lawnmower Man" for the rest of the evening.

Other than that:

Renegade (Spectrum 128)- I could loop it at least three times back in the day.

Soul Calibur (DC)- For about six months none of my friends could touch me on this- it went on to be played one evening every weekend for at least a couple of years. I'm still pretty handy at it now, as a few unsuspecting self proclaimed "experts" have found to their cost.

Any Zelda- I really enjoy any kind of arcade adventure, so really get stuck into Zelda games. Only Ocarina's Bastard Water Temple caused my usually bang-on spatial awareness to faulter.

Ikaruga (DC)- I have one credited it before, but only just and with no style or elegance whatsoever. I've watched one of my friends do the whole game dropping maybe one or two lives, high chaining throughout.
In the end I gave up on the game, simply because the more I tried to chain, the more I'd mess up and the more frustrated I'd get.
Bah.

Im pretty decent at shooters generally, but will never be a real top player, unfortunately. :(

Ridge Racer/Revolution/Rage Racer (PS1)- I'm a wh0re for powersliding and have pulled some fairly top-notch performances out of the bag on all three of these beauties.

Outrun 2 (X-Box) Ditto. :)

Edit- I was pretty damn good at Bubble Bobble & Rainbow Islands too.
Last edited by AlleyKat on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:53 am

Just bought Ikaruga (on Gamecube). I'm terrified I'm going to suck at it but wanted to own at least one version of Ikaruga.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:57 am

sscott wrote:Just bought Ikaruga (on Gamecube). I'm terrified I'm going to suck at it but wanted to own at least one version of Ikaruga.
If its the PAL version its a bit slower (and jerkier, unfortunately), so is a bit easier. Just practice and put in the hours and you'll soon get good. It shouldnt take long before you can do the first two levels at least without dropping a life.

If you just "dip in" it will seem tougher than it really is, but there are many shooters that are far harder.

Bug Eyes

Post by Bug Eyes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:39 am

The only game I am undeniably awesome at is Tony Hawks 4 (and by default most other TH games). Also very good at original and DS Mario Karts but there's always someone better.

Otherwise the 16 bit standards, I can beat most people who aren't Japanese at various SF iterations, particularly good at alpha 2 upwards, good at MK II, Pilotwings (and N64 version) otherwise nothing really stands out.

I used to be brilliant at Goldeneye, but the advent of online gaming and getting repeatedly "pwned in my face" by some 9 year old in Halo 3 is really making me question wether I ever was.

Oh and I was very handy at KI2. Got it running on my xbox the other day so trying to re-master those 74 hit ultras.
e 12a 01 01
W
Q

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:20 am

I'm sure compared to some of you I'm not that good but the games I think I'm pretty good at are:

Bubble Bobble (arcade) - I can usually get 800k points or more on one credit.

Wonderboy (arcade) - I used to be awesome at this when I was younger, not as good now but I still remember the layout of most of the earlier levels

Chuckie Egg (BBC) - can get to level 20-something easily

Wizball (C64) - on a good day I can play one game for over an hour and have completed it a couple of times in the past

Tetris - I've been known to last hours on various versions of the game.

For more modern games, I'd say I'm pretty good at Excite Truck and Tennis on the Wii, and I guess I should say the singing part of Rock Band given my performances at Retro Fusion! :D
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:24 am

Streetfighter IV :)

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:11 am

Oh dear, I feel a bit inadequate.

Y'see, I love old games (and new ones as well mind you) but I would never say I was actually any good at them. In fact, most games I am a bit rubbish at I have discovered and here I am on a forum where everyone else is brilliant at everything (I am particularly amazed at how many people are good at the Streetfighter games, they always defeated my attempts to play them).

Still, a couple of games I lasted longer on than others:

MR Do - Back in the day, I was great at it! Well, I was good. Adequate perhaps. I tended to get my 10p's worth, let’s just say that.

Chuckie Egg - Was always a favourite of mine and could get to a very high level (above 24 regularly and often to the near impossible later levels with loads of fast moving ducks and flying uber duck).

Starquake - First 'Big' game I completed, loved it.

Asteroids - After I discovered the "destroy all rocks but one then blast up the screen waiting for the little saucer blokes to appear" tactic, I was great!

I'm sure there are others, I used to be quite good at FPS games but my reaction are feeble and pathetic now, much like a pregnant yak (spot the veiled movie reference).
I think therefore I'm right!

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:17 am

Retro=space invaders and paperboy.

Modern= any of the gta series and resi evil 4 (ps2)
:)

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:26 am

My list is rather short.

Puzzle Bobble - In an out of 50 games series, I've never been beaten.
Screamer on the PC - back in the day I got silly good at this.
and last but not least Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament - I am silly good at this game :) and if anyone thinks they can beat me I'm prepared to make a wager and bring my Megadrive to the next fusion :)

I suck at everything else...
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:48 am

AlleyKat wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Often I have great sessions when I play alone, but then mess up badly when I try to show friends how good I (think I) am. :(
Ha! that sounds familiar, although there have been some glorious exceptions. Back when Wipeout 2097 was still fairly new, in front of a few gaming chums, I absolutely aced it. Perfect lap, after perfect lap on almost every track resulted in my being refered to as "The Lawnmower Man" for the rest of the evening.

Other than that:

Renegade (Spectrum 128)- I could loop it at least three times back in the day.

Soul Calibur (DC)- For about six months none of my friends could touch me on this- it went on to be played one evening every weekend for at least a couple of years. I'm still pretty handy at it now, as a few unsuspecting self proclaimed "experts" have found to their cost.

Any Zelda- I really enjoy any kind of arcade adventure, so really get stuck into Zelda games. Only Ocarina's Bastard Water Temple caused my usually bang-on spatial awareness to faulter.

Ikaruga (DC)- I have one credited it before, but only just and with no style or elegance whatsoever. I've watched one of my friends do the whole game dropping maybe one or two lives, high chaining throughout.
In the end I gave up on the game, simply because the more I tried to chain, the more I'd mess up and the more frustrated I'd get.
Bah.

Im pretty decent at shooters generally, but will never be a real top player, unfortunately. :(

Ridge Racer/Revolution/Rage Racer (PS1)- I'm a wh0re for powersliding and have pulled some fairly top-notch performances out of the bag on all three of these beauties.

Outrun 2 (X-Box) Ditto. :)

Edit- I was pretty damn good at Bubble Bobble & Rainbow Islands too.
When in Manchester, please PM me. I'd love to have a session playing you at Soul Calibur! Any of them, but ESPECIALLY the DC version.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:49 am

Tapey297 wrote:Speedball 2, any format
Tekken Tag, PS2
Columns, MD
Strider, MD
Shadow Dancer, MD
Turrican 2, C64
Streets of Rage 2, MD
As my previous post! :wink:

Talk to me Tapey. Tell me your best Tag teams!

Where you live at??
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:58 am

Generally I'm pretty bad at everything (as many of the guys on the excellent retroleague.co.uk will attest, hem hem) but I have a couple of high points.

Golden Axe - I was #1 in the world for a time when the XBLA version came out, my score was about 240.0

Insector X - Arcade version. 1 credited it many times whe I was a bairn, not so great now. Can't beat the last boss!

Fatal Fury (1) - Whole game, all perfects, no rounds lost.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:41 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:
When in Manchester, please PM me. I'd love to have a session playing you at Soul Calibur! Any of them, but ESPECIALLY the DC version.
Although that would be a blast, I dont tend to get up North much, unfortunately.

Anyway dude, much as I can still demolish arrogant amateurs, I, a) sense youre a bit handy at fighters, and b) havent played it for about 18 months, so I reckon I'm probably saving myself a bit of humiliation. :wink:

It would definitely be the DC version, though, preferably with arcade sticks.

Maybe a future Retro Fusion?