What game(s) are you best at?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:42 pm

AlleyKat wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:
When in Manchester, please PM me. I'd love to have a session playing you at Soul Calibur! Any of them, but ESPECIALLY the DC version.
Although that would be a blast, I dont tend to get up North much, unfortunately.

Anyway dude, much as I can still demolish arrogant amateurs, I, a) sense youre a bit handy at fighters, and b) havent played it for about 18 months, so I reckon I'm probably saving myself a bit of humiliation. :wink:

It would definitely be the DC version, though, preferably with arcade sticks.

Maybe a future Retro Fusion?
I'd be up for that too (at a future event especially!) Maybe we could make a little competition of it (if enough people are interested)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Used to be best at shmups (Souky, Dimahoo, Garegga, Mahou Daisakusen) but I'm well rusty nowadays and don't really have the time to master them like I used to. Now I would say driving games are probably my best type, PGR 2/4/Forza 2 etc I'm pretty decent at them I don't mind saying.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Not alot....

Ok at PES on PS1 and 2
Tron Deadly Discs on Intellivision can get over a million points each time...
Bruce Lee on C64
Astrosmash on Intellivision (but isn't everyone who owned it)
Kick Off 1 and 2 on Amiga
SWOS on Amiga
Summer Games 1 and 2 and Winter Games on C64
Marble Madness Arcade
Superman on Atari 2600
Air Sea Battle on Atari 2600
COD1 online
Q-Bert Arcade
Falcon on Amiga (wired serial link between two Amigas)
Reasonable at Mario Kart Wii and Double Dash on Cube...
EA Hockey on Megadrive
Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast and PS3
Tennis on Intellivision
NHL Hockey on Intellivision
Any Monkey Ball...

Not the dogs at any of them but can put up a good show if needed... :)

Probably a few others aswell, but aren't there always...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:51 pm

woody.cool wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:
When in Manchester, please PM me. I'd love to have a session playing you at Soul Calibur! Any of them, but ESPECIALLY the DC version.
Although that would be a blast, I dont tend to get up North much, unfortunately.

Anyway dude, much as I can still demolish arrogant amateurs, I, a) sense youre a bit handy at fighters, and b) havent played it for about 18 months, so I reckon I'm probably saving myself a bit of humiliation. :wink:

It would definitely be the DC version, though, preferably with arcade sticks.

Maybe a future Retro Fusion?
I'd be up for that too (at a future event especially!) Maybe we could make a little competition of it (if enough people are interested)
Awesome! Since watching the King of Kong I've developed an unholy fascination with Billy Mitchell- maybe my destiny is to become just like him: Hair, beard, dress sense, the works.

Other than the being best at a particular game bit, unfortunately. :)
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

thl

Post by thl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 pm

There are few games that I'm good at and might have completed it so many times:

Amiga
Chaos Engine
Flashback
Premier Manager
Sensible World Of Soccer
Striker
Superfrog
Zool

Arcade
Bomb Jack
Final Fight
Space Harrier
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
WWF Wrestlefest

Dreamcast
Soul Calibur
Virtua Striker 2: ver.2001

Gameboy
Mega Man II
Operation C
Super Mario Land 1 & 2
Tennis
Tetris
Wario Land

Game Gear
Columns
GG Shinobi

Mega Drive
Columns
Golden Axe
Revenge of Shinobi
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 & 2
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
Streets of Rage 1 & 2

N64
GoldenEye 007
Super Mario 64

SMS
Black Belt
California Games
Choplifter
Double Dragon
Golden Axe
Hang-On
Shinobi
Sonic The Hedgehog
Space Harrier
Super Kick-Off

SNES
Contra III: The Alien War
Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
F-Zero
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Metroid

Xbox360
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
Halo 3
Pro Evolution Soccer series
Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 & 2

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:16 pm

There was an hour free between the end of school and the start of evening study and I'd spend it finishing Sonic & Knuckles as fast as I could, every day, with all emeralds. I became pretty nifty as a result. I dunno what my best time was, I never checked, I just wanted to complete it before heading back to school. I also knew Sonics 1 and 2 inside-out.

When I worked in the funfair one summer I'd play Time Crisis 2 every lunch hour. My record was completing it with only getting shot once (this including hitting each guy three times). There's room to improve there, but the summer ended and they packed up before I got there. Still, wherever it went next, the entire scoreboard was me.

My brother and I fairly hammered Soul Calibur during the Dreamcast's lifetime, either that or Marvel vs Capcom 2 was sitting in the disk drive for like five years. Funny story, he was playing Soul Calibur 4 online the other night and was being hammered by someone playing as my best character, Cervantes. Then the Cervantes guy tried to charge-drill him, which my brother countered perfectly - very difficult to do, the timing's pinpoint. Then he tried an air drop; countered again. Cervantes' two best moves, completely neutered. The other guy completely lost confidence at that point, you could tell by the way he started playing that he was utterly shocked that anyone could do that. My brother can, damn him. Five years' practice.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:49 am

Sit me in front of a game for long enough & I'll generally be able to more than hold my own, IF I have an interest in the game.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 & Gem Fighter Mini Mix are 2 of my "signature games" as is SvC Chaos, as I have all 3 JAMMA boards (or MVS cart for SvC Chaos). It took me a while to adjust from using a controller to using a joystick, but I managed.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:18 pm

I can only really say I've mastered a few games.

Championship Manager 93 - When you've taken Barnet form division 3 to Premiership champions and European cup winners, I think you can say you've beaten the game.

IK+ - Being called a mega hero on the score table makes me feel invincible at this.

Llamatron - consistently get over a million with one credit.

All on the ST. The only games that I've played on recent times that inspire me to practice them in order to master them are Outrun 2, Rez and Space Giraffe. Unfortunately, I still suck at all three. I was pretty kick-arse at Goldeneye at one point, (Licence to Kill only, Normal is for shandies) but since leaving uni I've fallen out of practice.

After playing Bubble Bobble all my chilhood, I thought I was awesome at it, Getting to the boss with one credit etc. But after recently playing an arcade version that handed me my bubble-encased arse on a plate I'll refrain from putting it on my list.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:39 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:
Tapey297 wrote:Speedball 2, any format
Tekken Tag, PS2
Columns, MD
Strider, MD
Shadow Dancer, MD
Turrican 2, C64
Streets of Rage 2, MD
As my previous post! :wink:

Talk to me Tapey. Tell me your best Tag teams!

Where you live at??
My best teams always have Hworang in them often with Brian Fury or GunJack or the Sumo fellow (forgot his name) .

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:25 am

woody.cool wrote: [*]Knights v2.4 (Amiga) - a public domain game, made entirely in AMOS, where you and another player are pitted in a dungeon, kinda Gauntlet style, but you can customise the mission parameters down to the last detail. A firm favourite of mine & my brothers!
Woody, haha that game was awesome. Proper good memories of playing this for hours with my mate. :lol: Does anyone remember the hideous Death Mask? :lol: Similar kind a thing, but in '3d'.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Kaede wrote:
woody.cool wrote: [*]Knights v2.4 (Amiga) - a public domain game, made entirely in AMOS, where you and another player are pitted in a dungeon, kinda Gauntlet style, but you can customise the mission parameters down to the last detail. A firm favourite of mine & my brothers!
Woody, haha that game was awesome. Proper good memories of playing this for hours with my mate. :lol: Does anyone remember the hideous Death Mask? :lol: Similar kind a thing, but in '3d'.
Death Mask was the worst FPS type game.

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 pm

StickHead wrote: Championship Manager 93 - When you've taken Barnet form division 3 to Premiership champions and European cup winners, I think you can say you've beaten the game.
Pah!

I won the Prem 8 or 9 times and The European Cup on multiple occasions with Exeter City. I then sold all my good players to raise as much money as I could (got over 200 mil in the bank) but I still kept on winning!

A good trick I found was to buy extremely young players with really high average ratings (regardless of skill values). Give them a few years and they'd turn into superstars!
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:45 pm

After achieving success with a club, I usually go back to square one by applying for a job with a struggling division 3 job (unless the Birmingham City job is going 8) ) By the time I'm back in the top flight again, my old team is awesome, and provides a reet challenge. Repeat this a few times and it makes for a much more contested Prem than today's real competition! My last game went: Barnet, Scarborough, Birmingham, Wigan. Now they are all in the top 6!

I also like nurturing young stars. However, I like to start with untouched players (no avg rating yet, younger the better) judging them by stats alone. Very cheap, and great to watch them become multi-million pound internationals. That and George Ndah... always buy George Ndah.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

pforson

Post by pforson » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:46 am

StickHead wrote:After achieving success with a club, I usually go back to square one by applying for a job with a struggling division 3 job (unless the Birmingham City job is going 8) ) By the time I'm back in the top flight again, my old team is awesome, and provides a reet challenge. Repeat this a few times and it makes for a much more contested Prem than today's real competition! My last game went: Barnet, Scarborough, Birmingham, Wigan. Now they are all in the top 6!

I also like nurturing young stars. However, I like to start with untouched players (no avg rating yet, younger the better) judging them by stats alone. Very cheap, and great to watch them become multi-million pound internationals. That and George Ndah... always buy George Ndah.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember Ndah. Ha ha ha. I'm terrible at remembering stuff like that, but once someone mentions a name...

For an added challenge, play multiplayer with a friend and set a clock (chess style). The rush to buy good players is quite exhilirating...
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)