How many of your games do you actually play??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 pm

I have stopped playing & buying games for now, i have been busy with other things.

but i do have over a 100 or more games for my consoles. still haven't played some of my psp games i got a 2 months ago. and still didn't get round to play my ds new Zealand story game

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:53 pm

My summer holidays are over in a weeks time (and no I don't expect any sympathy!) and I've had more time than usual to play games which has been a lot of fun. When I go to my games room I have a choice of 23 consoles/computers to play on which are all connected to one of 3 TVs and I have around 300 original games, sounds great right? How come though I sometimes go up there and can't find anything I want to play? Or can't make up my mind? My issue isn't not having played a 3rd of my games but how it can't compete with having a few games on one console as a kid - getting real good at them and beating your mates at them. I do promise however to never ever pay £30-£40 for a next gen game again when I have so much else still to play.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:45 am

I've wound up with a backlog of a few hundred games as I tend to pick up retro stuff cheap as and when I see them (I usually think if I don't get them now I may never see them again!). New releases I'm more cautious with as they usually drop to half price within a couple of months so I tend to hold off until they are dirt cheap.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:01 am

sscott wrote:My summer holidays are over in a weeks time (and no I don't expect any sympathy!) and I've had more time than usual to play games which has been a lot of fun. When I go to my games room I have a choice of 23 consoles/computers to play on which are all connected to one of 3 TVs and I have around 300 original games, sounds great right? How come though I sometimes go up there and can't find anything I want to play? Or can't make up my mind? My issue isn't not having played a 3rd of my games but how it can't compete with having a few games on one console as a kid - getting real good at them and beating your mates at them. I do promise however to never ever pay £30-£40 for a next gen game again when I have so much else still to play.
I do sympathise with that (not the end of your superlong holiday tho ;)) as it's a horrible feeling. I'm afraid as depressing as it sounds, we have all seen our best days where gaming is concerned. I put it down to the lack of imagination and appreciation we have when we grow older.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:06 am

You could well be right! :)

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:22 am

I really try to play all my games. But of course there are a lot of titles which I still haven't completed. That's the problem if your favorite games are RPGs :D With modern action games there's no problem. But I'm a bit overfed with them. Don't know, if you played the 50th generic first person shooter, you just want something different.
So I simply buy less new games and get more retro goodness...

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:13 am

mohicankid wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:Due to money, time and space and moving around a lot, not got a large gaming collection, but the few i do have, i play regularly!

Although the missus does moan at me for taking up valuable hard drive space on the laptop with emulators!
get her her own laptop!

as for the topic i had this problem a while ago...posted about it somwhere...i sold a couple hundred games on the boot sale and traded others that i didn't want....sometime you just have to do a bit of weeding!
That would be were I reiterate the "lack of money" quote!

:cry: :wink:

batman877

Re: How many of your games do you actually play??

Post by batman877 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:19 am

oldskool81 wrote:I just wondered peoples thoughts on my gaming habits!!

I buy games, lots of them, mostly for my DC and Xbox but these days I find myself playing them less and less due to time constraints (kids, work, college :( ) do I stop buying them though??

No, sometimes I spend more time looking for them on EBay etc than playing the ones I already have!!

I think I have a problem, anyone understand this??
I'm exactly the same!

The other problem I have is trying to sample too many different games at once - I never get any good at them! For e.g. I can't get a podium finish on GRID because I only play it in 10 minute bursts!!! :shock:

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:11 am

I have played every single game I own at least once.

As for regularity, it depends on the system...

I do not for instance play a lot of my Saturn games regularly, don't get me wrong there are a fair few I fire up enhusiastically almost every other day, but the majority of the hundreds of titles at my disposal are indeed utter bollocks, and as such enjoy their time languishing inside large cardboard boxes.

My Megadrive and Dreamcast collections on the other hand feature nothing but quality titles that I genuinely enjoy playing, meaning that I only own thirty or so games for each system, and thus the entirity of my library for both consoles are both played far more frequently.

Convinience is also a factor, and I am ashamed to say that most of my mainly cassette based computers (C=64, Acorn Electron, Speccy etc.) now remain firmly packed away in the loft, as cassette loading times and reliability issues no longer float my boat the way they did 20 years ago.
As such none of the genuine games for these systems get played, although I do have a good session through various emulators when I have the time.

My Atari 2600 VCS, which despite having an impressive library of games at it's disposal, and being set up with it's own dedicated TV set, solely exists in my games room for the purpose of the occasional thrash on Solaris, so again none of the other titles I own really get any play, except when some random person visits my flat and demands a game on Space Invaders *sigh*

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:02 am

I've been contemplating this thread the last few days. I have around 150 Dreamcast games, 20 Saturn games, 35 PS2 games, 17 PS3 games, 6 PS1 games, 14 PSP games and of course thousands of emulated games for 8-bit/16-bit consoles.

I tend to play one game failry hardcore until I complete it (at the moment it's Killzone on the PS2 which I am really near the end with), and I tend to play around 6-10 other games more casually from the other systems. Once I get bored with one of the casual games, I then tend to pick up something else.

As I really enjoy my racing, fighting and fps games, there's plenty of selection in my collection to keep me happy most of the time.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:08 am

bonerlaw wrote:
mohicankid wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:Due to money, time and space and moving around a lot, not got a large gaming collection, but the few i do have, i play regularly!

Although the missus does moan at me for taking up valuable hard drive space on the laptop with emulators!
get her her own laptop!

as for the topic i had this problem a while ago...posted about it somwhere...i sold a couple hundred games on the boot sale and traded others that i didn't want....sometime you just have to do a bit of weeding!
That would be were I reiterate the "lack of money" quote!

:cry: :wink:
My wife has her eye on one of them mini-laptop things that run Linix. As they all have wi-fi built in. There not all that much, I think the new one from HP is supposed to be pricad at arounf £100.
It would free up the PC and laptop if she used that to chat to her frends with instead of hogging the propper puters I suppose.

Oh, games...

yip, I've got quite a lot that I havent played for various consoles. I always buy things I have every intention of playing though... :?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:14 am

One problem I have (with any game DC / PS2 +) is that I forget the controls / the plot - So, if I buy a load of cheap games, I normally have a quick go on each but then don't wanna learn the controls again. MGS2 is the best example.

That's the good thing about retro games - only a couple of moves and not hours of storyline!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward