How many of your games do you actually play??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oldskool81

How many of your games do you actually play??

Post by oldskool81 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:24 am

I just wondered peoples thoughts on my gaming habits!!

I buy games, lots of them, mostly for my DC and Xbox but these days I find myself playing them less and less due to time constraints (kids, work, college :( ) do I stop buying them though??

No, sometimes I spend more time looking for them on EBay etc than playing the ones I already have!!

I think I have a problem, anyone understand this??

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:45 am

Yes i have the same problem :(
I have literally a shedload of games that are yet to be played properly :oops:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:50 am

I've been through this problem and decided to not buy any game I wasn't prepared to play and any I had sitting there I sold on. That way you keep your collection fresh and there's always a game you want to play instead of sifting through hundreds of boxes trying to work out what you feel in the mood for only to lose interest before you even put a game on lol.

My collection is only very small and doesn't impress with it's size but I'm never stuck as to what to play. Not only that, when you do buy a game it makes it that little bit more special being selective instead of buying average games or whatever takes your fancy at the time.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:57 am

Well, I'm giving up buying any more games for the forseeable. I've got a hell of a backlog, a degree to do and experience has shown pretty much anything you want can be picked up later, even if it costs more.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:00 am

I don't have a massive collection but at the moment I've got about 10 games I've not got round to playing yet.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:21 am

I've a backlog that runs well into hundreds. Over the last year I've stopped buying so many new ones and I have been finding time to go back and play some of them. It can work if you control yourself.

Don't abandon new games completely though, that would just be cutting off your nose to spite your face. There are still 'must haves' that can't be passed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:48 am

As I buy most of my games for cheap, I tend to buy games that I don't know or games that look good on the cover... and more often than not, I find that the game is rubbish or too hard for me, and end up playing it for a few minutes before giving up, but thinking I'll get back to it sometime...
But that's only true for retro games

There are far too many games that I want for the Wii & 360, but haven't bought yet because they're too expensive & I know I won't have time to play them properly. So far, I still have Oblivion & Mass Effect to start, but I'm waiting till I've finished my other games.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:17 am

Yeah new are flipping expensive :x I want Soul Calibur 4 but i'm not paying £40 for it. I'd rather wait till christmas where it will be £20 :D

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:12 am

I've got loads of games but I can't think of more than 4 which I play much.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:43 am

My missus bought me a Wii for my birthday about 2 weeks ago, must admit apart from the first day or two i hardly play it.

Still play tons of emulated games on my laptop/other gadgets but seem to prefer these old games as i can have a quick blast for 5 mins. Just havent got into the Wii sadly, great original console but seems like i'm totally a fan of the old skool stuff and games i can play anywhere instead of having to go into the lounge and use the Wii etc

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:44 am

My retro collection has a few games I haven't played but in general I play almost all of them and have completed (sic) about 70% of them. I find it difficult to buy too many games until I've finished playing the one I have leading to the nightmare scenario of having a rare free evening and no new games. Having a small flat probably contributes too.

The only exception is handheld stuff, the PSP has a bit of a backlog but I can justify this because I only play it on holidays.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:10 am

A common thread topic re-surfaced. Sometimes you should just pick up a game and play the damn thing for a while until you make progress, there is usually something to enjoy from most games. I have The Simpsons Game On Wii which I've not played for months because the controls and jumping system sucked, have just played it for two hours straight and have enjoyed some of the many gaming and movie references (such as the Frogger bit). Anyway, the point is I didn't turn it off as soon as I got stuck for a change and started enjoying it. Emulators are great but I tend to flick through them like Sky Channels and I don't enjoy them as much. To all Wii owners I say get the thing played at least now and then.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Most of my collection is Master System, MegaDrive, PC Engine, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64 etc games. Of the ones that can be emulated well, I usually just play them on emulators. I recently realised therefore, that I might as well sell the originals of the older games. They will, after all, stop working at some point. Might as well make some money from them while I can.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 pm

Due to money, time and space and moving around a lot, not got a large gaming collection, but the few i do have, i play regularly!

Although the missus does moan at me for taking up valuable hard drive space on the laptop with emulators!

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:08 pm

bonerlaw wrote:Due to money, time and space and moving around a lot, not got a large gaming collection, but the few i do have, i play regularly!

Although the missus does moan at me for taking up valuable hard drive space on the laptop with emulators!
get her her own laptop!

as for the topic i had this problem a while ago...posted about it somwhere...i sold a couple hundred games on the boot sale and traded others that i didn't want....sometime you just have to do a bit of weeding!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...