Starting a new collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lorfarius

Starting a new collection

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:27 am

Several years ago I decided to start a complete PAL collection of NES games, accessories etc After 2 years of collecting I managed to get around 130 titles and various bits n bobs. Sadly moving house and other problems in life meant I needed to have a clear out and so the NES collection had to go :(

Since then I've merely been a game taster if you will, dabbling with various consoles but never really committing by buying more than say 10/15 games for a machine then getting bored and flogging it on Ebay.

Which brings me to this topic. I want to start a collection again as I now have the time and space to start over. However I'm not sure if I should just go back to NES collecting so wonder what do you guys think? If I do go down the NES route should I forget about PAL collecting and consider a US model, maybe a top loaing console to cut back on cartridge problems....

One other console I've considered has been the Atari 7800. I've had a few of these over the years and theres not that many games to collect plus with the added BC I can enjoy many 2600 games (even if there isnt that many good ones!).

Edit. I even considered an Intellivision after this months RG.

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 am

How about a Nintendo Virtual Boy? I believe there is not that many games to collect for it and they are all sought after.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:54 am

22 (across all regions I think)

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:56 am

If I was going to collect for just one system I think I'd choose the Megadrive - lots of great games across all genres, most of which are relatively easy to find at reasonable prices, and the boxes don't get all mashed up like they do with NES/SNES games so the collection will display well too... :D
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:06 am

boyo wrote:How about a Nintendo Virtual Boy? I believe there is not that many games to collect for it and they are all sought after.
Sadly tried before but only managed about 9 games :lol: Too difficult to collect for as the rarer games can cost over a grand. Plus I actually want to be able to play the collection so the more games the merrier!

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:26 am

Go to SNES collecting. I collect a mulititude of systems & in my opinion the SNES would be the most interesting. It had a modem, the Sufami Turbo, the Satellaview, the Barcode Battler, the Super Scope, & they're the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Not sure why you want to restrict it to PAL only...

I know the NES/Famicom had a fair few add ons, but they're arguably much harder to find these days & can be a lot more pricey.
Last edited by Dizrythmia on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:35 am

Philips Videopac. Not too many games and the cartridges and boxes are quite unusual.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:42 am

depends on how hard you want to make it to get a complet set and how much you care for actual gameplay value

the best mix of quality and low prices & rarity is the PAL Sega Dreamcast collection

NES on the other hand is one of the hardest PAL collections, especially if you do a real PAL instead of UK-only set

Another rather easy one would be the Sega Saturn

All the other PAL sets have their problems (extremely rare games or extremely pricey crap games)

If you want to go for something different, why not try Amiga CD32??

oldskool81

Post by oldskool81 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:22 pm

I would agree with the Dreamcast, just started with this console myself and while I've only picked up 15-20 games so far I'm constantly finding things I've never heard of!!

If you decided to import at some point you'll also find some amazing titles all playable on a PAL machine with a boot disc that you can download for free, there's a few decent American exclusives and tons of amazing Japanese shooters!!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:32 pm

Dreamcast, Saturn or Jaguar would be my vote. All have games that are widely available for generally low prices on ebay etc and each have only a handful of games that are rare/expensive.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:34 pm

How about a Sega Master System? The games are great and they are pretty cheap too.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:03 pm

nesmaster wrote:How about a Sega Master System? The games are great and they are pretty cheap too.
a complete set would be a pain in the ass though because of Smurfs 2

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Saturn. There's only 240 -odd titles, most are dirt cheap, some are incredibly rare (and relatively expensive) and the UK community's awesome! :wink:

Saturn FTW!
Thoughts and prayers.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:32 pm

I would echo the Virtual Boy or Videopac. Achievable to own them all, but not easy.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:29 pm

How about trying something different such as the wonderswan?