Boot Sale Rip-off Prices

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:57 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
JackPainter wrote:£10? FINISH HIM!!!

Once I saw an old PS1 that an old lady was selling. Just the console (no leads or cable) and she wanted £15.

Silly cow.
She was obviously getting some money together to buy that PS2 and copy of Manhunt she's had her eye on :lol:
Totally.

Those old ladies are violent. She threatened to put out a cigarette in my eye when I refused her offer. :wink:
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

David

Post by David » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:21 am

an old guy tried to sell me a PS1 for £4 a couple of weeks ago.

He looked around, gave me a wink and said "it's chipped you know......"

Unfortunately, in addition to being chipped, it also looked like it had been used to clean his toilet.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:04 am

I think it must have been last year sometime, I was rummaging through boxes of old computer bits at a boot sale and seen an old type TV switch box for the SEGA Master System, just the metal switch box, no RF cable was attached! Now it just happened that I needed one to go with a repaired Master System that I was going to flog on E-Bay.

I asked how much and the stall owner said £3.50, I looked astonished then he went on to say 'Do you know what that is, it's really rare you know.'
I said I knew exactly what it is and it has a cable missing, and it may not even work (although I knew it probably would as it's just a metal switch box), and it's only worth a few pence. He just snorted and fiddled with some stuff; looking busy.

I don’t think he had any idea what any of the stuff in the boxes was as I held up a bunch of stuff in my hand and said, I'll give you £2 for these...
I eventually ended up getting the switch box, a PC joy-pad an N64 composite video lead and an RF cable for £2.00

Just shows you how much some people will try to rip you off though; I suppose all those pennies add up!

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:26 am

i love the line some sellers give you "i could sell it on ebay for ££ amount" well why the bloody hell dont you then.

The other weekend someone had a megadrive with about a dozen games they were asking £45 for the lot (and they wernt good games Fifa etc) im guessing they took that home with them :roll:

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:37 am

I always like seeing various TVs, consoles and other electrical equipment that have been heavily rained on since 6am!

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:20 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:I saw a PS3 for £240 in a car boot and joked that no one would be stupid enough to shell out that much money for something that might not work. 10 minutes later i saw a guy with it tucked under his arm looking proud as punch.
Who the hell goes to a car boot sale with over £200 in their pocket? Morons, that's who.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:52 am

Most I ever take is £20 and the 50p to get in.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:09 pm

Surely many of you are just as bad as the sellers though ?

Eg a seller might say "100 quid for that as i know i can get that on ebay" but how many of you have bought something off some granny or some bloke who doesnt know anything about retro, eg a few retro consoles/computers and hes asked for just a fiver when its worth much more ?!

Do you go "Actually its worth at least 50 quid, i'll give you twenty, thats fair isnt it ?"

Surely retro buyers are just as bad as some of the sellers at car boot sales ?

James A

Post by James A » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

nwosteve wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:I saw a PS3 for £240 in a car boot and joked that no one would be stupid enough to shell out that much money for something that might not work. 10 minutes later i saw a guy with it tucked under his arm looking proud as punch.
Who the hell goes to a car boot sale with over £200 in their pocket? Morons, that's who.
It depends last year i went to one bootsale on a bank holiday and i got halfway round with £50 and had to go to the bank again. By the time id got round all the way id got through another £50. Another £50 at another two bootsales. It was a case though of every stall i was going to had stuff on which is rare.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:45 pm

psj3809 wrote:Surely many of you are just as bad as the sellers though ?

Eg a seller might say "100 quid for that as i know i can get that on ebay" but how many of you have bought something off some granny or some bloke who doesnt know anything about retro, eg a few retro consoles/computers and hes asked for just a fiver when its worth much more ?!

Do you go "Actually its worth at least 50 quid, i'll give you twenty, thats fair isnt it ?"

fair point, i just find it amusing when someone quotes ebay at me when i know its considerably more expensive than it would be on ebay

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:56 am

Surely the point of a car boot sale is to get rid of stuff that you do not want and make a few quid, not make a big fat profit. If you get a bargain, so be it. There's always a few traders who are there to make a living and, if it comes to computing, know how much the stuff is worth. So, if some jabroni wants to sell a N64DD for £3 quid, so be it Remember, "wissen ist macht."

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:34 pm

psj3809 wrote:Surely many of you are just as bad as the sellers though ?

I'm glad somebody else made this point, the hypocrisy in here is amazing!

I'm also amused that this thread is moaning about being ripped-off for stuff you don't even buy! People can offer things for whatever amount they want at a carboot sale, regardless of what you think it should.

No wonder many people dislike collectors.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:38 pm

nwosteve wrote:Surely the point of a car boot sale is to get rid of stuff that you do not want and make a few quid, not make a big fat profit. If you get a bargain, so be it. There's always a few traders who are there to make a living and, if it comes to computing, know how much the stuff is worth. So, if some jabroni wants to sell a N64DD for £3 quid, so be it Remember, "wissen ist macht."
RAFLMDAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

"jabroni"

nwosteve, we salute you! Things are grim at the moment and I've needed cheering up and that is, pound for pound, the funniest thing I've seen/read (yes, just that one word) in a very long time.

You've made me feel so much better about life.

Honestly, I laughed so hard I almost gave myself an anurism.

Genius.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:13 pm

I will have to start checking out some car boot sales (if I can get my corpulent form out of bed that early).

ebay has become useless now - I cant remember the last time I didnt see some common-as-muck master system game that wasn't listed as @Look RARE!!!@ wow madden 98 for £6quid...bargain....i dont think.

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:42 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:
nwosteve wrote:Surely the point of a car boot sale is to get rid of stuff that you do not want and make a few quid, not make a big fat profit. If you get a bargain, so be it. There's always a few traders who are there to make a living and, if it comes to computing, know how much the stuff is worth. So, if some jabroni wants to sell a N64DD for £3 quid, so be it Remember, "wissen ist macht."
RAFLMDAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

"jabroni"

nwosteve, we salute you! Things are grim at the moment and I've needed cheering up and that is, pound for pound, the funniest thing I've seen/read (yes, just that one word) in a very long time.

You've made me feel so much better about life.

Honestly, I laughed so hard I almost gave myself an anurism.

Genius.
Thanks, glad to be of service in my own way. :D