Boot Sale Rip-off Prices

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nwosteve

Boot Sale Rip-off Prices

Post by nwosteve » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:46 am

Was at a local car boot sale yesterday and saw a copy of N64 Mortal Kombat Trilogy, unboxed, no instructions, all on its' lonesome. I sauntered up and casually enquired hown much he wanted for it. I was mildly shocked when the guy said "£10, it's really rare y'know." I asked if this was a joke and was firmly told "no." I left empty handed.

Any similar tales out there folks?
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:22 am

Should had counted yourself lucky,i seen sega saturn version going for nearly 200 quid on ebay,its still here aswell,look

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mortal-Kombat-Trilog ... dZViewItem

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:23 am

£10? FINISH HIM!!!

Once I saw an old PS1 that an old lady was selling. Just the console (no leads or cable) and she wanted £15.

Silly cow.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:32 am

I saw a guy once who was trying to sell his Master System 2 (unboxed) for £40.. It's way too expensive for my tastes, but it's not outrageous...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:33 am

JackPainter wrote:£10? FINISH HIM!!!

Once I saw an old PS1 that an old lady was selling. Just the console (no leads or cable) and she wanted £15.

Silly cow.
She was obviously getting some money together to buy that PS2 and copy of Manhunt she's had her eye on :lol:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:34 am

This is a great thread!

I once saw a pile of old 2000ad comics and the nice old lady said she wanted £1 for them. Christ, I took out a £2 and was prepared to just let her have it when she said, "Each..."

:lol: :lol:
Thoughts and prayers.

thl

Post by thl » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:47 am

Sometime I came across with sellers who can be so disorganise, trying to ripped you off and can't make profits with their stuffs.

I was at one of car boots few weeks ago and saw a Dreamcast with few discs, controllers and VMU. Despite being in loose, untidy condition, I asked the seller what's the price for it and she said '£16'. I also asked about the price of the loose discs (as I saw Out Trigger) and she said 'it all goes along with the console'. Very unsatisfied with the ridiculous offer and I must say she's a bit thick to organised it.

At another car boots, I saw a six-button control pad for the MD and asked the seller 'how much is it'. Surprisely she said 'it's goes along with other PS1 peripherals (usually third-party steering wheels) and it's £10'. What a crap offer from her.

Also some guys were trying to ripped me off with the RGB Scart leads, power supply and cartridge games (for whatever console it was for) that they'll asked for at least £4.50 for it.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:52 am

On the flip side, during my first (and last) car boot I was selling a N64, 3 controllers + 4 unboxed games for £5.

A lovely indian lady with her very lovely kids (who were all in designer gear and she was bling'd up to the hilt) offered me 50p for it.

Imagine her surprise when I declined her offer and suggested that I will smash it up when I get home rather than let it go for 50p. To be fair, she took the hint and upped her offer to a respectable £1 and whilst we were in a world of respect I told her to F**k off!!

Sold if for £10, half an hour later........
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:55 pm

There's a seller at my local car boot who always has shed loads of retro stuff... only problem is he knows exactly what it's worth! D'oh!

Sometimes he overestimates (common NES carts for £4) and sometimes he underestimates (I got a Nemeis and Zen Ninja on the Original Gameboy CIB for £5 total) but overall it's pretty annoying he actually knows what stuff is worth!

Also, what with all the sellers hawking boxes full of common/crap PS2 games for £4 each? THAT'S WHAT GAMESTATION IS FOR!

James A

Post by James A » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:39 am

The best one i've had recently whilst not retro games was for 2 copy of Heroquest and a copy of Space Crusade. Now the boxes were wrecked and barley held together and all the sets were missing pieces and the boards. However i though they would be handy for spares incase i picked up any better conditioned ones. I asked the woman how much and she said make an offer so i said £3 which i though was pretty generous. She turns round and says she wants £15 for the lot :shock: My reply was well there not in the best of condition to which she replys i can get that for them on ebay to which i said well why haven't you put them on there?. Her reply censored off before i get my husband back here!!!!!! Got to love some peoples mentality.

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:51 am

James A wrote:The best one i've had recently whilst not retro games was for 2 copy of Heroquest and a copy of Space Crusade. Now the boxes were wrecked and barley held together and all the sets were missing pieces and the boards. However i though they would be handy for spares incase i picked up any better conditioned ones. I asked the woman how much and she said make an offer so i said £3 which i though was pretty generous. She turns round and says she wants £15 for the lot :shock: My reply was well there not in the best of condition to which she replys i can get that for them on ebay to which i said well why haven't you put them on there?. Her reply censored off before i get my husband back here!!!!!! Got to love some peoples mentality.
If it was me,i'd have told her "if i stick you on ebay,looking just as old and taty as the sufff you're flogging,do you think they'd make me an offer,exactly,get your self away woman,go on ,git " :P
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:45 am

Fred83 wrote:Should had counted yourself lucky,i seen sega saturn version going for nearly 200 quid on ebay,its still here aswell,look

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mortal-Kombat-Trilog ... dZViewItem
Never released this was so rare. Gonna consider selling mine now.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:45 am

I saw a PS3 for £240 in a car boot and joked that no one would be stupid enough to shell out that much money for something that might not work. 10 minutes later i saw a guy with it tucked under his arm looking proud as punch.

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:48 am

Other side of the coin here.
Two years ago we did a car boot and my daughter was selling her GBA with ten games for £20 (she had got a DS for here birthday and wanted some new games).
It got busy and loads of people looked at it. I got chatting to someone and then my daughter came to me upset. Some bloke had given her a fiver for the GBA and all the games. She was only 7 and must have done it really quickly and quietly.
I left my wife with the stall and went round with my daughter. We found the arsehole and I was fuming. He kept squawking "The deal is done, the deal is done." I quietly offered him to see how I do deals (sounds hard but I bet I looked stupid).
He gave it back and I threw his fiver on the floor.
He blatantly took advantage of a little girl so he could get a bargain.
I should have floored him.

thl

Post by thl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:24 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:I saw a PS3 for £240 in a car boot and joked that no one would be stupid enough to shell out that much money for something that might not work. 10 minutes later i saw a guy with it tucked under his arm looking proud as punch.
There was a guy who was selling the XBox360 around that price, all boxed and in good condition. Also I'm believed that this person might have experienced the Ring of Death which might led him to get rid of it.