The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x ... available now from Golem Books!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
resident paul
Posts: 4489
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Post by resident paul » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:07 am

jerellis1 wrote:Thanks for the comments folks - genuinely interested to hear that the cover might not be to everyone's liking, but I would imagine it's not too late to change it (I did grow quite fond of it while I was designing it but I'm certainly not too proud to accept it might not be up to scratch - I'll have a chat with Andrew and see what he thinks).

Out of interest, who thinks another single format 'keyboard' cover might work better? Do you feel that if it the book had just the one machine on the cover that it might be mistaken for being a single format book?

Oh, and Resi Paul - Tompsone City's a typo (which I shall correct right away). But you already knew that, didn't you...? :wink:
I thought you were testing our reading ability in this forum.

User avatar
boggyb68
Posts: 2194
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:56 am
Location: On the planet of the Wardrobe Monsters...

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:02 pm

andrew_rollings wrote:
boggyb68 wrote:Can't wait for this excellent bible...

Cover is ok by me, but as has been said before it could even have a picture of Tardis out of Cylon Attack on it over and over and I'd not bat an eyelid... :)

Look forward to it...

B.
Well, we still need a bunch more pre-orders!!!

Incidentally, we're toying with the idea of throwing the cover design out there as a competition.

Prize will be a credit, plus a free copy of The Spectrum Book (sold out - one from my private stash!), The Commodore Book, and The 8-bit Book.

Any takers? (If so, we'll formalise this idea... No guarantees the winner will get used if Jerry or I come up with a design we like better, but he or she will still get the prize!)


Andrew
Andrew, I'll pre order soon, I bought your Commodore book yesterday on the strength and buzz of all this good "bookage"... :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Image

User avatar
andrew_rollings
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:24 am
Contact:

Post by andrew_rollings » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:18 am

boggyb68 wrote:Can't wait for this excellent bible...

Cover is ok by me, but as has been said before it could even have a picture of Tardis out of Cylon Attack on it over and over and I'd not bat an eyelid... :)

Look forward to it...

B.
Well, we've had some discussion about the cover, and are coming up with a couple of new ideas... Hopefully there will be something to show on that soon.

boggyb68 wrote: Andrew, I'll pre order soon, I bought your Commodore book yesterday on the strength and buzz of all this good "bookage"... :)

B.
Awesome! Your pre-order would be most welcome... (as would any others, come to think of it!)

Andrew

User avatar
jerellis1
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:58 am
Contact:

Post by jerellis1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:25 pm

For those that haven't seen it yet, here's the new cover (slightly tweaked from the one you can now see over at hiivebooks.com):

Image

And if you like that, just wait until you see what Andrew's working on for the back cover... it looks fantastic!!

Incidentally, for a while we were toying with the idea of going with this for the cover:

Image

In the end though, we both agreed that the book needed a simpler, cleaner image for the front cover, and that's when we came up with the 'digital calculator' effort. I was really pleased with how the Sgt. Pepper idea turned out though, so we're still going to find a place for it in the book somewhere (along with the abandoned Elite cover).

The writing is almost complete by the way - I've now finished 218 entries out of a total of 231, and the proposed March '09 publication date is looking good (although we definitely need to get the pre-orders in first, so if you're teetering on the brink of placing your order, then now would be the time to go for it)! I'll update the final list of games featured in the next couple of days, both in the author diary section on the Hiive Books website and on here, so everyone can see exactly which titles are going to be included.

:)

kiwimike
Posts: 3677
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:40 pm

Wow, how come I haven't seen this topic before?!

I'm hitting your link and preordering now, love books like this. Can't wait for it and all the best with it! :)

User avatar
jerellis1
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:58 am
Contact:

Post by jerellis1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:54 pm

That's music to our ears, kiwimike - thanks for the support! The book's really beginning to take shape now, and it's all looking rather lovely, even if we say so ourselves! It's certainly been a wonderful experience writing it, and I can't wait to see the final result, especially now that I've witnessed Andrew's work on the front and back covers for the first time (I only came up with the digital calculator idea last week, and Andrew's managed to turn it into a very slick final cover image from scratch in the space of just a few days).

The last of the entries will have been written by the end of half term*, and after that it'll be time to start gathering screen shots... I'm definitely going to enjoy that part!!

*(I'm an English teacher in my spare time).

User avatar
GenghisJones
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Post by GenghisJones » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:03 pm

I was trying to rest my credit card since it got all crunchy - but now I've seen the HIVE books site I fear the worst... these books look great - shame the spectrum one is hardback though - a bit pricey for me.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26748
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:00 am

GenghisJones wrote:I was trying to rest my credit card since it got all crunchy - but now I've seen the HIVE books site I fear the worst... these books look great - shame the spectrum one is hardback though - a bit pricey for me.
There are a few of us who'll be buying the special edition hardback who already own the original paperback. That original copy will head towards forums/ebay for resale, so keep an eye on this place and you could get a bargain.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
witchfinder
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am
Location: The Cave of Monsters (AKA Stoke!)
Contact:

Post by witchfinder » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:30 am

jerellis1 wrote:The writing is almost complete by the way - I've now finished 218 entries out of a total of 231, and the proposed March '09 publication date is looking good
If it's done for early March would you be interested in selling/promoting it at the Byte Back event? :D

Like the cover, but if there is ever any intention to sell the book in a shop, shouldn't it have some indication of what it is about, e.g. a subtitle saying "The ultimate guide to old computer games" or something along those lines?
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Image

User avatar
pforson
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:32 am
Location: uk london
Contact:

Post by pforson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:01 am

Hi,

I've got a few questions. I'd like to pre-order this and the hard back spectrum book (anyone want to buy the soft cover one from me?) but I'm moving to Germany in 3 weeks!

Do you post to Germany and can I pre-order and then change my post address when I know what it'll be?

Also, are we going to get the c64 book in hardback too? :)

Edit: Do you take the money from my credit card right when I order? because my billing address will change in 3 weeks time...

Ta,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Image

User avatar
andrew_rollings
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:24 am
Contact:

Post by andrew_rollings » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:10 am

pforson wrote:Hi,

I've got a few questions. I'd like to pre-order this and the hard back spectrum book (anyone want to buy the soft cover one from me?) but I'm moving to Germany in 3 weeks!

Do you post to Germany and can I pre-order and then change my post address when I know what it'll be?
If you know what your new address will be, then use it as your shipping address when you order. If not, follow up with a contact message via the website as soon as you do.

pforson wrote: Also, are we going to get the c64 book in hardback too? :)
Not in the forseeable future... It took three years for me to do the hardback speccy one... A full two years after I sold out the paperback...

So maybe in 2011 :)
pforson wrote: Edit: Do you take the money from my credit card right when I order? because my billing address will change in 3 weeks time...
Yeah, the money is taken right away :)


Thanks
Andrew

User avatar
jerellis1
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:58 am
Contact:

Post by jerellis1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:04 pm

witchfinder wrote:If it's done for early March would you be interested in selling/promoting it at the Byte Back event? :D
Very possibly! Sounds like a good idea - I'll flag that one up to Andrew and see what he thinks. Even if the book's not yet ready by early March, it could still be well worth making a Byte Back appearance to generate a few more last minute orders! :wink:
witchfinder wrote:Like the cover, but if there is ever any intention to sell the book in a shop, shouldn't it have some indication of what it is about, e.g. a subtitle saying "The ultimate guide to old computer games" or something along those lines?
It's unlikely the book will ever be available from anywhere other than the hiivebooks.com website (although you never know!) so I guess that gives us a bit more freedom to keep the cover nice and simple.

User avatar
witchfinder
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am
Location: The Cave of Monsters (AKA Stoke!)
Contact:

Post by witchfinder » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm

jerellis1 wrote: Very possibly! Sounds like a good idea - I'll flag that one up to Andrew and see what he thinks. Even if the book's not yet ready by early March, it could still be well worth making a Byte Back appearance to generate a few more last minute orders! :wink:
Absolutely! A Hiive books stall selling any available wares would be cool. Gimme a shout if you want to sort something out... :)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Image

User avatar
andrew_rollings
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:24 am
Contact:

Post by andrew_rollings » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:46 pm

witchfinder wrote:
jerellis1 wrote: Very possibly! Sounds like a good idea - I'll flag that one up to Andrew and see what he thinks. Even if the book's not yet ready by early March, it could still be well worth making a Byte Back appearance to generate a few more last minute orders! :wink:
Absolutely! A Hiive books stall selling any available wares would be cool. Gimme a shout if you want to sort something out... :)
Actually, I've been giving some thought to that idea...
Depends on finances, of course, but I think I want to try to get over there for that one...

Andrew

User avatar
jerellis1
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:58 am
Contact:

Post by jerellis1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:28 pm

Hello all,

I've just updated the author diary for The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x (you'll need to click on the Author Diary tab at the top of the page to read it). All but the last six titles to be covered in the book have now been confirmed, and the final, final front cover is also ready for your perusal.

Entries for the following games have been completed since my last diary update:

Valhalla (Spectrum) ... 1983
Slinky (Atari) ... 1983
Ball Breaker (Amstrad) ... 1987
Barbarian II: The Dungeon of Drax (Amstrad) ... 1989
The Bilestoad (Apple II) ... 1982
Le Fer d'Amnukor (Oric) ... 1986
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (C64) ... 1991
Phantasie (Apple II) ... 1985
Undead Line (MSX2) ... 1989
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (MSX2) ... 1989
Star Blaster (Tandy Color Computer) ... 1981
Sargon II Chess (VIC-20) ... 1982
N.E.X.U.S. (C64) ... 1986
Galaxians (ZX81) ... 1982
Android Attack (TRS-80) ... 1982
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (C64) ... 1990
Le Secret du Tombeau (Oric) ... 1985
Koronis Rift (Atari) ... 1985
Raid on Fort Knox (VIC-20) ... 1982
Winter Games (C64) ... 1985
Revs (Beeb) ... 1984
Megablasters (Amstrad) ... 1994
Who Dares Wins II (C64) ... 1986
Lazy Jones (C64) ... 1984
Thrust (Beeb) ... 1986


I've also dropped the entries that I'd written for Radar Rat Race, Dark Sceptre and Rescue on Fractalus, as these three games had already been covered in the first two books and I felt they weren't quite 'essential' enough to merit being written about twice. They have been / will be replaced by other games though, and the final tally of games I'll be covering has actually now risen slightly to 231.

The last six entries should be ready by the weekend, and then I just need to complete the chapter intros before Andrew and I begin the process of checking everything that's been written (and editing where necessary). After that I'll begin gathering screen shots and cover artwork while Andrew works on the interior design of the book. Assuming we have secured enough confirmed pre-orders to cover the printing costs by January / early February, the book will be published in March '09 as planned.

More updates coming soon! :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests