The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x ... available now from Golem Books!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x ... RG Treasure of the Mon

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:55 am

Encouragement I can give. When can I preorder? On the strength of the earlier edition this is a must have. The Hiive books were top notch so it'll be really interesting to see how you improve on that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:27 am

It'll probably be an expensive postage order for me to NZ, but looks top notch and something I'll have for life...I'll be keen on this! :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 am

Sounds great, i've got all your other books, the 8 bit book, C64 book and soft/hard copies of the Speccy book.

Looking forward to this one, definate purchase for sure

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:37 am

Look forward to it, Jerry!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 am

I own the Commodore 64 book and copy 123/256 of the hard copies of the 8-bit book. Both fantastic reads, good reviews, very interesting facts behind the games, excellent screenshots and layout :)

I really look forward to the Amiga book, I remember writing to the staff years ago, and being promised that "an amiga book is being worked on"... It was like 3 years ago, a long wait, but I'm confident it will be worth it :)

EDIT: I just saw that it was you (merman) that told me about the Amiga book me via email... on june 23rd, 2008 :shock: a very long wait indeed :mrgreen:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:45 am

Hiro wrote:I own the Commodore 64 book and copy 123/256 of the hard copies of the 8-bit book. Both fantastic reads, good reviews, very interesting facts behind the games, excellent screenshots and layout :)

I really look forward to the Amiga book, I remember writing to the staff years ago, and being promised that "an amiga book is being worked on"... It was like 3 years ago, a long wait, but I'm confident it will be worth it :)

EDIT: I just saw that it was you (merman) that told me about the Amiga book me via email... on june 23rd, 2008 :shock: a very long wait indeed :mrgreen:
Well, in that three years I split up with my girlfriend, was diagnosed with Crohns disease, spent time in hospital and had two operations... The files are still on my hard drive and it's a project I would like to finish given the time and health to do so.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:39 pm

merman wrote:
Hiro wrote:I own the Commodore 64 book and copy 123/256 of the hard copies of the 8-bit book. Both fantastic reads, good reviews, very interesting facts behind the games, excellent screenshots and layout :)

Well, in that three years I split up with my girlfriend, was diagnosed with Crohns disease, spent time in hospital and had two operations... The files are still on my hard drive and it's a project I would like to finish given the time and health to do so.
were you working on a book about software house too at one point?

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
merman wrote: Well, in that three years I split up with my girlfriend, was diagnosed with Crohns disease, spent time in hospital and had two operations... The files are still on my hard drive and it's a project I would like to finish given the time and health to do so.
were you working on a book about software house too at one point?
Well, the Commodore 64 history I am working features the stories of many software houses. There's another project going on called "They Were Our Gods" that is about programmers and software houses.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:05 pm

merman wrote: Well, the Commodore 64 history I am working features the stories of many software houses. There's another project going on called "They Were Our Gods" that is about programmers and software houses.
They both sound very, very interesting, looking forward to them, then :)

It always ends in dark

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:39 pm

See here:
http://theywereourgods.blogspot.co.uk/

There's plenty of interesting content in the blog alone imo, can't wait to see the end result.

PaulEmoz is one of the old(?) Way of the Rodent crew. If you've not read past issues of that, get yourself over there:

http://www.wayoftherodent.com/
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:See here:
http://theywereourgods.blogspot.co.uk/

There's plenty of interesting content in the blog alone imo, can't wait to see the end result.
Whoa, that's great, truly interesting blog! And anyone who quotes the C64 Waterpolo game has my unconditioned approval... :mrgreen:

It always ends in dark

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Ahhh, thanks Andrew! I don't like spamming myself too much, so it's nice to get the odd plug. And thanks to the others for the interest and the kind words... I'm excited by this project, and I hope that comes across. I've got a huge list of people I want to include in some form or another, with any luck I can do them justice.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 am

PaulEMoz wrote:Ahhh, thanks Andrew! I don't like spamming myself too much, so it's nice to get the odd plug. And thanks to the others for the interest and the kind words... I'm excited by this project, and I hope that comes across. I've got a huge list of people I want to include in some form or another, with any luck I can do them justice.
Suggestions/requests accepted? :mrgreen:

It always ends in dark

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Suggestions? Absolutely! Oddly enough, my latest post on the blog is about that! I encourage any suggestions... my list is extensive but not exhaustive. It's impossible to cover everyone and every game, but I'll certainly have a good amount of obscure entries!

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Whoa! I'll throw in some names then... :)
I have already mentioned them several times on this forum, but I'm putting Chris Butler (for his excellent C64 works) and Paul Woakes on the top of the list. Plus Udo Gertz for his excellent games on the C16.

As for the companies/teams, System 3 and Psygnosis for their C64 and Amiga efforts respectively. And excellent idea with Jeroen Tel, he's my fave C64 musician... I'd also like to hear from Ramiro Vaca, Chris Huelsbeck and Jochen Hippel...

BTW, great post on Tracksuit Manager, often overlooked and less famous than FM, but surely not inferior... as for some games, I think I've already "requested" enough so I'll just mention the first one that comes to mind, the stunning Alter Ego (C64), nothing quite like it.

Hope this wasn't too long and that I'm not going OT :wink:

It always ends in dark