The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x ... available now from Golem Books!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nick_h

Re: The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x ... FOREWORD BY DAVID BRABEN!!

Post by nick_h » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:51 am

Any updates ! ? Must be getting close now ! Cant wait :D

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Just another quickie (how many quickies is that now?) to let interested parties know that we've made a few subtle changes to the Hiive Books website ahead of the 8-Bit Book's imminent release.

The home page now features the final, FINAL cover, which looks a lot like the previous revision but now boasts an extra green line of platform names between the top and bottom halves of the title. Some of the platform names have also been tweaked ever so slightly so as to make them fall into line with the way platform names have been written throughout the book.

Once you click on the 8-Bit Book cover from the home page, you will now be taken to a slightly altered 8-Bit Book page, from which you can either order the standard paperback version directly, or select the Limited Edition hardback option, which can now be ordered without having to contact Hiive Books to request the LE version first. The hardback's cover is also a tiny bit different from the standard version - see if you can spot what we've done!

The final change is that the work-in-progress sample chapter that has been available to view online for the last couple of months or so has been replaced with the 100% finished article that is currently at the printers being brought magically to life. Again, there are lots of subtle improvements over the earlier version, including longer and fully proof-read entries, cool quotes and other goodies below the screen shots and cover artwork images on every page, and lots of visual enhancements such as better screen shots, tweaked background images and even original sprites in the year marker tabs at the edge of the pages (which, in theory, you should be able to animate by flicking through the pages once you have the book in your hands)!!

As I mentioned before, the printer is now doing his thing and the books should definitely be on their way by the end of this month. Incidentally, there are still around fifty of the Limited Edition hardback versions available to order, so if you're tempted by that sort of thing then you probably need to get in there fairly quickly. The hardbacks will all be numbered and signed by me (and I promise to use my very best handwriting). And if you're wondering, numbers 1, 8, 16, 32, 48, 64, 100, 128, 200, 250 and 256 are all as yet unallocated - I even asked Andrew if I could have just number 8 for myself and he said no way - these are for the punters!

Well it seems that wasn't exactly a quickie after all, so apologies for that. Thanks again to all those that have taken the plunge already, and in advance to anyone who plans to buy the book soon. My work is pretty much done for now - all I have to do at this point is wait for the books to arrive, sign all the Limited Editions, become a dad, plan a wedding, have a wedding, sell my flat, look for a new home in a different town 150 miles away and find a new job by Christmas. How I'm going to find time to write The **** Book, I just do not know!

:wink:
Last edited by jerellis1 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:37 am

Well if you read this Andrew, please make my hardcover #64 then :wink:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:02 am

Mayhem wrote:Well if you read this Andrew, please make my hardcover #64 then :wink:
Hehe.... Nope. They're in strict chronological order :) Sorry...

Andrew

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:21 pm

I'd have gone for 48 if I had the choice, seeing as I chose a 48k Oric over a 16k Spectrum for my first computer (reasoning more memory must be better) and its one of the stars of this particular show.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nick_h

Post by nick_h » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:59 pm

Who's going to get their book first ! ? Let us know when your book arrives !

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:38 pm

+++ BREAKING NEWS +++

According to Mr. Printer, the books will be dispatched (to us) on the 21st of August. They'll then be on their way out to everyone who has ordered a copy within another couple of days or so. You should all have them in your hands by the end of the month!!

:D

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:29 am

Wheres my book then..?
I have been waiting patiently for this for ages and now I am going to start stamping my feet and throwing a wobbler if it don't turn up soon :evil:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:58 pm

I've not got mine either, so you're not alone.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm still considering whether to buy this or not, haven't got any of the previous ones. Could someone post photos of the normal and hardcover editions so I can see whether it's worth the extra quid for me personally? thanks :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:46 pm

It looks exactly the same, just in a hard cover. No difference to the design or content. But based on the other books, I'd say its a must have - they really are nice, full colour on every page, nice concise reviews with at least one screenie. The preview images online don't do the printed pages justice, they look much better on paper.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:16 am

The first two are fantastic and take pride of place on the gamesroom book shelf.
This one doesn't look as good to be honest but only because it has that disgusting green screen pile of vomit included and because it's NOT HERE YET..!!!! ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:08 pm

I do worry that its going to be posted out in a couple of weeks time, when I'm on holiday, so could end up being returned as undelivered.

Any news of a postage date?

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Long(!) overdue update, but I've been moving countries in the past few weeks...

The books will be arriving at Hiive HQ early next week, and will be sent out in the two weeks subsequent to that...

Apparently there was an issue with "drying the ink". Beats "snow on the line" I guess.

Sorry for the hold-up everyone! I never seem to be able to get dates right!

Andrew