worst game(s) you've ever bought/played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

carmel1

worst game(s) you've ever bought/played

Post by carmel1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:00 am

Some of Mine

Hunchback (A8) by Steven McIllwie (Ocean)

Anything by Steven mcIllwie (Various)

Anything By Atlantis (UK budget s/w house)

Doom on the MD...as slow and cack as hell

Any 8bit version of Outrun (even California Run's better then that, and CR is a cack game)

Enrico/Enrico II (A8/Powersoft & Frederic Holst) the only decent thing about the game is the title screen...Then it decends into a pile of utter cackness

can't think of anything more....time for some moregame playing

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:04 am

Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be the most over rated game of all time - football ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:19 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be the most over rated game of all time - football ;)
Soccer is quite bad too :wink:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:21 am

Few of mine:

Bart Vs the World: Just plain rubbish, can't stand to play it at all

Mario Tennis (N64): Was fun for a little while but just got so frustratingly annoying I stopped playing and eventually sold it.

Soul Fighter: I had hoped this would play like a 3D version of Street of Rage or Final Fight, instead it was an unplayable mess with rubbish controls and a rubbish camera.

Dragon Ball Z Ultimate 22: A 2D DBZ fighting game? what could go wrong? Turns out its completely unplayble.

GTA Vice City Stories (PSP): Started off great, got much worse as the game went on. Gangs constantly attacking properties, rediculous load times and the final missions almost made me break the game in half. My least favourite GTA game by a mile. Amazing soundtrack though.

Elite Beat Agents: Disapointing soundtrack which made it a chore to play through certain tunes (I only liked about 4 or 5 tracks), stupidly uneven difficulty level (F###ing Jumping Jack Flash) and annoying touch screen controls (those blasted spinning wheels, how I loathe you)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:25 am

strider 2 on the Megadrive.

i don't have the words....

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:32 am

ShadowMan wrote:Soul Fighter: I had hoped this would play like a 3D version of Street of Rage or Final Fight, instead it was an unplayable mess with rubbish controls and a rubbish camera
What? Its a quality game.......

......Which I would say as I was trying to flog it on here the other day :wink: :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:44 am

Renegade 3 on the CPC - So much saving up....so much rage! :D

Turning Point on 360 - Interesting premise ruined by every aspect of the game being pathetically bad!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 am

Dangerous Streets (CD32)
Rise of the Robots (CD32)

thankfully they were both freebies with my CD32, but I then had to trapse round town trying to find more CD32 games.

carmel1

Post by carmel1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Here’s some more to add….

C64 and A8 Kick off…..I’ve seen games at £1.99 better then this tenner’s worth of cackshite

Gunpowder Charlie (A8)…Only redeeming feature about this game was it’s use of colour…otherwise a p.i.s.s poor and poor man’s variant on bomb jack (if you wanna see a bomb jack type game on the A8, your best bet is Little Devil by red rat)

Airwolf/Blue Thunder (A8, Richard Wilcox Software/Elite)…what can I say, so crap and cackshite they released it twice…Just as well really that Elite steered clear of the A8 if this was the standard of their output

Domain of the Undead (A8)…This game should have a public health warning on it ‘Should only be played by those that are that desperate for a G&G (Ghouls/ghosts or Ghosts/goblins ) type game on the A8 ‘..This game simply has NO redeeming features

By the way…Anyone that puts up 2600 pacman or 2600 ET (or ET for any platform) goes to the back of the class)

Cygnus XI (A8)…About the cackiest and crapiest game Atari ever inflicted on us A8’ers since ET, basically, a p.i.s.s poor, poor mans version of Sega’s coin op game ‘Buck Rogers, Planet of Doom’, which was actually converted to the A8

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:29 pm

woody.cool wrote:Dangerous Streets (CD32)

thankfully they were both freebies with my CD32, but I then had to trapse round town trying to find more CD32 games.
I had the massive misfortune of buying Dangerous Streets at full price. I thought I learned my lesson to read all magazine reviews before buying a game until I bought a F1 game also at full price for the Saturn a couple of years later, which turned out to be below average. Some wounds will never heal.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Nightmare creatures on the PS1 springs to mind.

A got stung with a few spectrum games way back when. Can't remember the name but I remember buying an F1 type game with a racing wheel that turned out to be a tin lid you rested on the keyboard. I had to walk about two miles to the newsagent that sold games to get it too.

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:28 pm

I actually bought Rise of the Robots Full Price for the PC. :oops:
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Shaq-Fu luckly bought it for 99p from a charity shop but paid 98p too much for my liking.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Ace of Aces for the Master System springs in mind. Also who could forget the awful Amiga conversion of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:28 pm

sleeper77 wrote:
woody.cool wrote:Dangerous Streets (CD32)

I had the massive misfortune of buying Dangerous Streets at full price. I thought I learned my lesson to read all magazine reviews before buying a game until I bought a F1 game also at full price for the Saturn a couple of years later, which turned out to be below average. Some wounds will never heal.
I nearly took my CD32 back to get a refund, but then I found some decent CD32 games in town: Pinball Fantasies and Cannon Fodder :D
I was very happy from that moment on, my CD32 had redeemed itself!