Best Arcade in the UK

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:04 pm

hahnchen wrote:What's Southsea Clarence Pier like?
It sucks arse now. Hardly any actual games there, mostly fruit machines, those coin-pushy machines, and various other nonsense. It only used to average at the best of times. Hayling Island used to have a pretty good arcade at The Inn On The Beach. I don't think it's there now though, it's probably been levelled by Hayling's various hoody gangs. :?

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:35 pm

However, the last time I went to Brasil, I found some good arcades. There's four Super GT machines in the streetside bowling alley (pictured), as well as various others like House of the Dead, Dance Dance Revolution, and loads of others, and one of the malls has loads! I played on a linked-up Daytona, and there was Sega Rally, and plenty of Capcom and SNK fighting games. Brasilia has some good retro stuff, specially for such a modern city.

Devious

Post by Devious » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:09 pm

RetroRik wrote:Just back from Great Yarmouth.

Arcades are now sh*te.

But... In the fair at the front there was the usual Sega Rally two seated affair but there was also an origional sit down Outrun and Ridge Racer..

But that was it...

RIK
My eyes glossed over - I mean - my eyes teared up when I saw those pics. Are you a pro photographer? That lighting seems awfully fortuitous. What kind of camera did you use?

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Devious...

Just used a Sony Cybershot ( DSC-W7 ) set to 1 Megapixel. Standard Auto settings.

Im no pro but have an eye for things.

RIK

Devious

Post by Devious » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:17 pm

RetroRik wrote:Hi Devious...

Just used a Sony Cybershot ( DSC-W7 ) set to 1 Megapixel. Standard Auto settings.

Im no pro but have an eye for things.

RIK
Incredible. I guess they've improved quite a bit since I got my Kodak EasyShare CX7300 in 2004.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:10 pm

I'll try and take some pictures of the Deal arcades the next time I'm down there. They are not what they once were. I'll also try do pics of Margate and Ramsgate arcades if I can.

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:14 am

Best arcades I have been in for along time were in Beijing in Jan this year.

There is this new shopping street with a massive shopping centre that was built for the Olympics near the Forbidden city (if you looking at the entrance from Tiananmen Square turn right and walk for a couple blocks).
In the shopping centre is a brand new and shiny Sega World that is huge and full of good games - however that not the best place.

When walking up the road you will set an ancient archway leading to firstly food markets and then everything else markets , walk through there and at the back is a fantastic hidden arcade - very big full of retro arcade games.

I got photos somewhere at home will try to dig them out.

Devious

Post by Devious » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:54 am

Katzkatz wrote:I'll try and take some pictures of the Deal arcades the next time I'm down there. They are not what they once were. I'll also try do pics of Margate and Ramsgate arcades if I can.
I, for one, certainly look forward to seeing the pics. :D

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 pm

Rhyl used to have some good arcades until about 2005 now they are mostly Fruit Machines & Bingo. One arcade about 5 years ago had a few classic retro titles; Double Dragon, Paperboy, Golfing Greats, Kung Fu Master, Outrun sitdown version and Punchout for 10p a go! I also saw & played Xybots, Scramble, Circus Volitaire pinball Dr Who pinball & Starblade. I also remember circa 2000 one of them giving away - yes giving away an Enduro Racer sitdown cabinet all you had to do was get a van to take it away!

Over in Towyn a few miles down the road Arcades there had quite a few retro titles, Powerdrift, Sunset riders, Pitfighter, Virtual Racing, Crusin USA, Hard Drivin and even Space Invaders the original version!

In a way, I'm so glad I was there to witness & experience these arcade venues in their glory. Something generations now will never experience. The Smokey atmosphere, burn't bezels, dodgy looking people hangin out, a darkened room with many lights, monitors and marquees brightly lighting their own space. The sight at being able to experience many new arcade games from Dragon's Lair to Pacman as they were intended! :cry:

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 am

I need to visit that one by Goodge Street, but living in Sheffield it'll be a while until I get down there - incidentally went past it the other day on the way back from Italy via Gatwick, but it was 3am...

Talking of Italy I was pleasantly surprised by the arcades there. Tons of MVS cabs - all the Metal Slugs, Strikers 1945 plus, Puzzle Bobble etc. The arcade at our camp site even had a Zero Gunner 2 machine, Metal Slug X/3/4/5 and Sega Bass fishing. Few multi choice machines with Super Pang, Aero Wings, Ghosts and Goblins to name a few. All the cabs were in good condition, didn't come accross any that were broken or unresponsive. 50 euro cents a go too, much better than a pound or whatever you'd pay here.