R-Type Dimensions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gmintyfresh

R-Type Dimensions

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 am

Don't think this amazing bit of news has been posted on here yet, let's hope it's true - from IGN:

IGN » Games » Xbox 360 » News

R-Type Dimensions Shooting to Xbox Live?
OFLC rating points towards new instalment for shmup series.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
UK, August 4, 2008 - Details have emerged of a new R-Type game, coming to Xbox Live with the snappy prefix Dimensions and revealed on a recent Australian classification website posting.

The listing – kindly signposted by the eagle-eyed inhabitants of gaming forum NeoGaf – states that the game is being developed by Tozai, responsible for the as-yet-unreleased Lode Runner remake for Xbox Live.

R-Type most recently made an outing with the PSP exclusive Tactics – despite the preceding PS2's outing's claims to being the final instalment for a series that dates back to 1987. It's as yet unclear what form the game will take, though given that Xbox Live is becoming the new home for hardcore titles such as Omega Five, Triggerheart Excelica and genre favourite Ikaruga we would hope it retains the 2D shooter thrills of the original games.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:01 pm

lode runner and r-type....... :D :D :D

btw, talking about live arcade, anyone seen the bionic commando rearmed video???? looks fantastic, very shattered soldieresqe :D

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:10 am

hmm.... intriguing. Perhaps a rermake/re-imagining of the first title, or 1 and 2 mixed together?

or *gasp* a HD version of Delta?

speculation abounds.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:20 am

I would like to see Irem do an R-Type vertical scroller.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:I would like to see Irem do an R-Type vertical scroller.
Pervert.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:05 am

Any new R-type is always good news, can't wait to see what comes of this. Hopefully whatever route they go down (remake or brand new) it will retain the same fair-yet-challlenging diffculty curve that kept me coming back to the original.
SexyWayne wrote:lode runner and r-type....... :D :D :D

btw, talking about live arcade, anyone seen the bionic commando rearmed video???? looks fantastic, very shattered soldieresqe :D
BC has come along very nicely indeed, I think its due for a release sometime this month as well. I've really enjoyed the orginal Nes game so chances are I should love this one as well. I also like the fact that you can unlock stuff for the new Bionic Commando 360 game by playing the Live arcade one through, quite a nice little bonus!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:13 am

The Master wrote:
Pervert.
:shock:

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:09 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:
The Master wrote:
Pervert.
:shock:
The idea of taking R-Type from horizontal to vertical is just twisted... next thing you know, somebody'll suggest making it into a strategy gam... oh, too late!

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:10 am

Just thought it might be nice to see a vertical scroller with R-Type style graphics and weapons and levels and stuff. :| I guess it doesn't have to be an actual R-Type game, just designed by the R-Type team.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:hmm.... intriguing. Perhaps a rermake/re-imagining of the first title, or 1 and 2 mixed together?

speculation abounds.
I'd love to see a HD version of Leo, the unsung hero of the series so that the masses can have a go at this underrated game. The graphics are really beautiful, with those amazing star fields and those huge detailed bosses - I suspect it's not even on the radar though.

A new 2D game with features from the whole of the series would make me very happy:

Loads of ships and power ups

Branching levels based on performance

Amazing HD graphics

Unlocks available for certain criteria met in the game

Two player simultaneous play

The obligatory Mega Battleship encounter!! (not necessarily on level 3)

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:41 pm

That's not a "prefix". Illiterate IGN idiots.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:52 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:
Emperor Fossil wrote:hmm.... intriguing. Perhaps a rermake/re-imagining of the first title, or 1 and 2 mixed together?

speculation abounds.
I'd love to see a HD version of Leo, the unsung hero of the series so that the masses can have a go at this underrated game. The graphics are really beautiful, with those amazing star fields and those huge detailed bosses - I suspect it's not even on the radar though.
Yeah, I think you'd be right about it not being on the radar. As fun (and as pretty) as it is, it just doesn't have the wide recognition of other entries in the series.

Part of why I'd love to see a high-res version of Delta is because I feel its PS1 iffy 3d graphics have dated the most. Sure, I can play it in ePSXe in hi-res with filtered textures, but still... Meanwhile, all the 2d instalments still look pretty damn good, imo.

As an aside, it's kind of interesting that MS said that they were going to shy away from bringing direct arcade ports/emulated titles to Live, so now we see things like this coming out. And yet, as far as I'm concerned, it would have been great to see them continue bringing out emulated arcade titles as well if only they would have stopped putting those f*cking UGLY filters all over them. Man... if you want a filter option, just use some tasteful fake scanlines like MAME, guys.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:21 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:
As an aside, it's kind of interesting that MS said that they were going to shy away from bringing direct arcade ports/emulated titles to Live, so now we see things like this coming out. And yet, as far as I'm concerned, it would have been great to see them continue bringing out emulated arcade titles as well if only they would have stopped putting those f*cking UGLY filters all over them. Man... if you want a filter option, just use some tasteful fake scanlines like MAME, guys.
That really annoyed me when Microsoft came out and (apparantly) said that, I can't remember if it was the Raiden Fighters games or another 2D Shmup but MS apparantly turned them down for a Live Arcade release as they didn't want as many ported arcade titles on the service. Was really looking forward to those :(
And yeah, some of those filters were fugly, Double Dragons still makes me cringe even now!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:41 am

ShadowMan wrote:That really annoyed me when Microsoft came out and (apparantly) said that, I can't remember if it was the Raiden Fighters games or another 2D Shmup but MS apparantly turned them down for a Live Arcade release as they didn't want as many ported arcade titles on the service. Was really looking forward to those :(
And yeah, some of those filters were fugly, Double Dragons still makes me cringe even now!
Yeah, that pissed me off too. I read about it in regards to ports of Ketsui and Dodonpachi Daioujou. Article here.

I like the idea of these re-jigged titles, like that Galaga one that's coming out some time, but I don't see why there can't be room for these as well as direct ports... particularly ports of recent arcade titles. Oh, Microsoft!

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:44 am

You have never played Image Fight? A vertical scroller from Irem, with 'force' like options.

The 360 cannot handle true low resolution graphics so the filters for these Live arcade games will be staying (assuming there are any more).