Nintendo DS vs PSP

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which is the best handheld?

Nintendo DS
59%
Sony PSP
41%

Total votes: 71

C=Style

Nintendo DS vs PSP

Post by C=Style » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:05 am

OK fellas, I'm off to go and buy one of these in a minute as I need a handheld pretty badly. Which do you think is the best all round machine for gaming? Pro's and Con's etc.

Thanks very much. :)

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:11 am

Get a DS. I think its got better games than the PSP. You should buy:
Castlevania DOS
New Super Mario Bros
Picross DS
Phoenix Wright

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 am

Funnily enough I like the DS as a console, I think it's a lot better machine to use than the psp but I think the psp has the better games, I did pick up a psp myself over the weekend.
Splink!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:16 am

Any regrets on buying the PSP felgekarp? Happy with it so far?

I am really interested in the actual DS games but I hear that it's gone real dead for quite some time now, and that there's been no good releases for a while and none on the horizon either. But Sim City DS does interest me, along with Contra.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:21 am

You should probably look at their software catalogue and decide which one suits your gaming style more.

From a hardware perspective, the PSP is clearly superior, but that doesn't really say much.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:23 am

C=Style wrote:no good releases for a while
Space Invaders Extreme came out about two weeks ago.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:24 am

C=Style wrote:Any regrets on buying the PSP felgekarp? Happy with it so far?

I am really interested in the actual DS games but I hear that it's gone real dead for quite some time now, and that there's been no good releases for a while and none on the horizon either. But Sim City DS does interest me, along with Contra.
No regrets so far, it was originally the analogue stick that put me off, I just didn't think it was very well implemented but having used one for more than 10 minutes now it's not really a problem. There's some ace games on the DS but for me there's slightly more on the psp so that's what I went with.......for now.
Splink!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:35 am

Wanted to vote both but went for PSP - I feel that most of the PSP games are less childish and, if you are inclined, you can emulate a large number of classic consoles / computers really well on it. Plus music / video and sat nav on the go!!!!

DS is great also though!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:36 am

The DS seems to have more fun games, some the games seem to have really been well designed for the system. I've got both and for taking on the bus or on holiday the DS it seems better due to the increased battery life and lightness. Plus you've got access to all those lovely GBA games

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:40 am

i had a psp and thought it was a bit crap for one really important reason - the screen was incredibly blurry and had loads of latency issues. trying to play rastan saga was like watching a rainbow with a sword chopping columns of vomit.

its got some excellent compilations though...and the new one can be played through a tv - don't know what the picture outputs like though (probably fuzzy and bordered)

the ds has an awesome pin sharp screen and lots of nice games.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:41 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Wanted to vote both but went for PSP - I feel that most of the PSP games are less childish and, if you are inclined, you can emulate a large number of classic consoles / computers really well on it. Plus music / video and sat nav on the go!!!!

DS is great also though!
Hmm PSP emulation is great but it's not exactly an easy process to set up is it Bub&Bob?

I just think that needs pointing out mate :D

It's like ripping DVDs and formatting them for use on the PSP not exactly user friendly (which Sony would be totally against anyway). You need to be quite PC literate to do either.

bhyperp

Post by bhyperp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:44 am

I haven`t got a psp but I really want one......big screen and plenty of mods able to be done......mostly the big screen...

MMMMmmmm
Holy Crap mums don`t know the value of their kids VIDEO SYSTEMS!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:45 am

You guys are great thanks for these super fast replies.

Is it a real intensive process to flash the firmware on PSP? Because if I got one I would NEED to do that. I'm relatively experienced with modding consoles, and I flashed the GP2X firmware etc with ease. Is it a problem?

edit:

Another important question: how does the battery life fare on both of them?

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:54 am

Flashing the firmware on the PSP is not that hard, and there are plenty of sites and instructional videos on how to do this. Just read the instructions carefully and it will become easier the 3rd or 4th time you update the firmware.
Also you don't need to be PC literate for using emulation on the PSP. It only takes me a minute or two to put the files where they should be. In fact, it is easier than using the emulators on the PC as it is all set up for you.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:54 am

I recommend you get both. They are very different systems with very different games and capabilities. I flip flop between using mine daily and commonly use both on the same day - DS during the commute, PSP on the bog or at the gym.

Flashing the PSP firmware is as easy as turning it on and pressing a button if you acquire a Pandora battery and an approprately prepared memory stick - these are readily available for just a few quid.
Sorting it out yourself without doing tha takes a little effort and technical knowledge just to make sense of it, but its relatively straightforward even then.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.