Dreamcast Recomendations??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:31 am

Good idea, the Saturn pad plays SF3 really well.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:06 am

C=Style wrote:I think unless you are a real SF head, then there's little point in hunting down the more expensive DC version when it can be picked up on Xbox for a lot cheaper. The DC version is said to be more arcade perfect but unless you're serious about it, you won't notice. Personally I didn't like most of the characters to SF3 as toxie said the DC pad is a bit too cumbersome for the intricate moves needed, another reason to pick up the Xbox version as the S-Controller does the job better IMO.
Actually the Xbox version is closer to the Arcade version so if your going for the best version then the Xbox version would be the one to get.

About the DC pad, don't use it if you really want to get the most out of fighting games track down an official Arcade Stick (or go with the Saturn pad idea) as it immediately makes performing moves and combos far easier.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

GarryG

Re: Dreamcast Recomendations??

Post by GarryG » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:35 am

oldskool81 wrote:I just recently decided to buy a new DC ... and would like to experiance something a bit different!!
Well I try to collect the 'different' games for the DC. How Different do you want?

Some of the things I would have said have already bee mentioned, but you may ether love or hate:
D2
LOL (Lack Of Love) No it isn't a date simulator thingie!
Space Channel 5
IllBlead
SeaMan :roll: yes I know, but it's very different

Can you fight your way through a little Japanese!? ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:46 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Actually the Xbox version is closer to the Arcade version so if your going for the best version then the Xbox version would be the one to get.

About the DC pad, don't use it if you really want to get the most out of fighting games track down an official Arcade Stick (or go with the Saturn pad idea) as it immediately makes performing moves and combos far easier.
Is that so? I always thought it was the DC version. Cool. 8)

The DC version does look a little better I think, Xbox version has an annoying filter as it plays in a higher interlaced resolution and although it can be turned off it still doesn't quite have the crisp visuals of the lower res DC game.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:24 am

C=Style wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:

Is that so? I always thought it was the DC version. Cool. 8)

The DC version does look a little better I think, Xbox version has an annoying filter as it plays in a higher interlaced resolution and although it can be turned off it still doesn't quite have the crisp visuals of the lower res DC game.
The thing with the ports are unless you are extremely familiar with 3rd Strike you won't notice any differences at all. Its the speed/timing that was slightly out on the DC version which the newer ports improved upon.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:46 am

Yeah I remember now it was a timing issue with the DC version, I was getting confused with MvC2. :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:11 am

C=Style wrote:Yeah I remember now it was a timing issue with the DC version, I was getting confused with MvC2. :)
Ah yes, that makes more sense! I always liked MVC2 much more on the DC than the Xbox or PS2. Then again, I swear the PS2 MVC2 had slightly squached sprites and the loading times were much worse than the instant DC ones (and the DC versions still the cheapest of the 3)

thl

Post by thl » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:22 am

As for peripherals, try get hold of as many VMUs. Also picking up the lithium batteries (model CR2032) comes very handy in case the console (or VMU) reset the time and date. And it can easily be replace.

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:41 pm

VMUs are dirt ass cheap, I got a job lot of 10 boxed mnt ones off eBay before xmas for a tenner inc. postage!

Don't worry about wasting batteries in the VMUs, they only last 5 minuets and are useless unless you want to play VMU games on the move.
The Dreamcast's VMUs keep your saves without them.

rossi46 wrote:
sscott wrote: I must recommend Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver if you've got a few hours spare. I know it was available on other formats but it's terrific on DC.
+1
+2!