Anyone went videogaming at funfairs/theme parks or seasides?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Anyone went videogaming at funfairs/theme parks or seasides?

Post by thl » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:28 pm

It's one of those ocassions that I'll never forget. When I went to those places, I usually came across with so many amusement centres filled with arcade cabinets (and of course soft toy machines). Because it was located in the area surrounded by thrill rides, rollercoasters, sidestalls and food booths, it was provided and having to be part of the criteria to satisfy the people. Also it was available on the piers and along the streets or embankments.

The earliest moments for me was having a go on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Final Fight, Violent Storm and WWF Wrestlefest at my local funfair in the early 90s. When I went to Brighton for the first time, I remember playing Super Street Fighter II Turbo on the big screen which was located on the Palace Pier. Great time!

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Used to love the arcade at Joyland in Great Yarmouth. And I remember staying at the Golden Sands holiday camp near Hemsby and spending too much of my week's spending money down the arcade - TX-1, Berserk, Popeye. Happy days.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Mr. Do! ar Redcar for me although I was more interested in some mechanical horse race game where you had to place 5p bets and you could win £1.50 on the number 8 horse, which was pink and called Gay Lord. It rarely ever won of course despite often being half way up the track before other horses had started!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:06 pm

I used to love the Arcades at Southsea and Hayling Island back in the 1980's/90's when there used to be hundreds of Arcade video games about. :D Nowadays, there's hardly any, it's just mainly Fruit Machines.:(
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:22 pm

There's some examples in here too: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2013

I also remember the arcades in Southsea, Yethboth. The one on the seafront had a TON of cool stuff in it (can't remember the name now). I remember having my first experiences of the likes of Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men: COTA and so on in there. Good times.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:11 am

merman wrote:Used to love the arcade at Joyland in Great Yarmouth. And I remember staying at the Golden Sands holiday camp near Hemsby and spending too much of my week's spending money down the arcade - TX-1, Berserk, Popeye. Happy days.
Gt. Yarmouth was one of the best places, I remember the whole sea front being littered with arcades. They had just about every game you wanted to play back then.

As I grew up around the coast I had my fair share of playing in these arcades, Hunstanton, Cromer, Sheringham and Wells were other great places for arcades. I still visit Hunstanton every now and then (in Tomas's Showboat they have sectioned off the old games into a retro room!) and actually play on the very same machines that I did when I was 10 lol.

Unfortunately you don't need me to tell you that it's not the same now as it was back in the late 80's/early 90's. But certainly, fond memories yeah.

supermario

Post by supermario » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:56 am

Went to Butlins in Ayr with a school trip and remember being amazed at the fantastic graphics on this new racing game called errrrrr Turbo :lol:

We also have 2 fairs a year and the arcades were always the place to be, with the friut machines set to 10% payout (alledgedly), 1943 and Space Harrier were my fave games to play. Also there was a Gauntlet machine there which I played for 2 hours on 10p and when I was finished the guy who ran the stand banned me from playing it !

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:43 am

There was always some complete stranger asking if they could borrow 10p off you so they could have a go on Double Dragon.
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:02 am

used to love going to Gt. Yarmouth and Southend. loads of great arcades. One had the ALIENS arcade cab which i played every time i went down there. but, sadly and as others have mentioned, its now littered with Fruites and teddy machines.
Same as Southend. I went there a few months ago with the missus, and expected the old arcade to be there, complete with PANG! and Thunderblade, but imagine my horror when i sawe the arcade had closed down. My heart sank, then i wondered if the machines were still inside. Would love to find out.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:08 am

Skegness arcade, there was some aweome old-skool machines there before the fire :(

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:49 am

That was my favourite part of summer holidays back then, visiting the arcades on the seaside resorts. More than made up for everywhere else I went which was boring.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:09 am

Ah, those were the days... Hours spent in arcades in Newquay and Blackpool during my summer hols, not to mention the annual trip to Alton Towers where a good hour or two was spent playing Double Dragon, Bad Dudes, Robocop and Golden Axe once we'd had our fill of the rollercoasters... :D

*sigh*

If you want to relive some of that nostalgia there are some great threads on the JAMMA+ forum with pictures of some arcades that still have a few of the classic games... www.jammaplus.co.uk
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:30 am

C=Style wrote:I still visit Hunstanton every now and then (in Tomas's Showboat they have sectioned off the old games into a retro room!) and actually play on the very same machines that I did when I was 10 lol.
I used to go to sunny Hunny a couple of times a summer, especially when I was in sixth form as it meant noone cared if we didn't turn up, and we had our own cars by then. Mainly used to go just to play Track & Field at Thomas's and also try and beat the top score on dancing stage euromix (which was always another mate from schools score, we go at different times and beat each others records)

If they've got a separate retro room I may have to take a trip down there one day, although it's a longer journey from Sheffield than it was from Peterborough

Anyone fancy a Retro Gamer day to Hunstanton :)
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:52 pm

I used to love Arcade Games, and I too spent loads of time playing them, both at Fun Fairs and at the seaside.

I especially used to love playing Arcades while on holiday in Devon and Cornwall.

My earliest memories of Arcade games from the age of about 6 or 7, were WWF Superstars, Narc, Final Fight, The Simpsons.

Of course there continued to be great Arcades throughout the rest of the 80's and 90's such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Lethal Enforcers, Streetfighter II, WWF Wrestlefest, Chase HQ, Hard Drivin', the list goes on and on!

I continued to play arcade games up untill around 6 or 7 years ago when I started emulating.
Press Play On Tape

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:11 pm

As a young un I remember playing pheonix while stood on a milkcrate to reach the buttons. Skegness and Great Yarmouth had great arcades.

I went back to Yarmouth about a month ago - needless to say the arcades were pretty bad. A Silent Hill lightgun game was ok but it had been put at the front of the amusement centre to show it off, you couldn't see the screen though because of the sun (what are the odds of sun).

I stayed in a cabin in the broads which had a small games bit tagged on to a pub. In there was final fight, super sidekicks 2, point blank, simpsons arcade and enduro racer all 20p a go. Had a great time :)