Xbox (original) must-have games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:20 pm

Serious sam looks great and blood omen 2 (legacy of kane) is brilliant.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:26 pm

I've just made a couple of original Xbox purchases (inspired by this thread) on Ebay:

Forza for £4
GTA: San Andreas for £6

I had to choose between these two or Test Drive Unlimited for XBox 360. Hope I made the right choice.

And I've also ressurected my copy of Outrun 2 thanks to you lot! I'd forgotten how frustrating some of those challenges were. Man I hate heart collector...
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:31 pm

StickHead wrote:I've just made a couple of original Xbox purchases (inspired by this thread) on Ebay:

Forza for £4
GTA: San Andreas for £6

I had to choose between these two or Test Drive Unlimited for XBox 360. Hope I made the right choice.

And I've also ressurected my copy of Outrun 2 thanks to you lot! I'd forgotten how frustrating some of those challenges were. Man I hate heart collector...
I think you did, i had TDU and thought it was rubbish, if on the other hand it had been forza it would have been a difficult choice.

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:36 pm

I bought my XBOX cheap a few years back and never really played it.

However, looking at this topic has also inspired me to start playing it again. I just need to buy some new games and a wired controller.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Still loving Burnout 3, but gradually getting frustrated as I bought OR2 from eBay early last week and it's still not arrived... yes, it was dirt-cheap, but I'm impatient!

Like the previous poster I bought my Xbox years ago (around launch time) but didn't use it much - it's so goddamn whinny. Now I have a newer model as well (1.4) I've discovered what I suspected all along - the version 1.0 units had a horrible little 4cm fan on the GPU, spinning around at light-speed. Later versions use passive GPU cooling (also the dvd drive in the later unit is far better).

This discovery when combined with a little surgery -adding a large hard disk- allowing games to be ripped to, and played from, the drive has transformed my entire view of the black breeze-block.

I love the machine so much at the moment that I'm trying to purchase another for fear that something will fail (life in my world is fraught with stress...)

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:34 pm

All my favourites have already been mentioned, but I would say this:

I think Farenheit is better on the PS2, purely bacause it's quite quick time event-y, and one of the actions is to hammer the left and right triggers as fast as possible. I found that pretty hard to do on the xbox pad.

Edit:
I also recommend Taito Legends 1 & 2 if you haven't already got them on PS2. They are excellent retro compilations.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:02 pm

neuromancer wrote:I love the machine so much at the moment that I'm trying to purchase another for fear that something will fail (life in my world is fraught with stress...)
:lol: I noticed that. Mind you, I can't say I'm not familiar with that creeping 'but what if it breaks!' anxiety myself. In fact, now you're making me worry about my own xbox.

BTW, you know that copy of OR2 you're waiting on? It might NEVER ARRIVE! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:12 pm

Panzer dragoon orta.
Serious Sam.
Stubbs the zombie.
Black.
Halo 1+2
The one where you take control of other robots, christ what was that called. Really good game. You collect rivets i think. Bloody good...can't remember its name.
The original xbox was an excellent console, solid as a rock. No reliability issues. Mine is still going strong.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:21 pm

The robot game is Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
gman72 wrote:The original xbox was an excellent console, solid as a rock. No reliability issues.
[cough]Thomson drive![/cough]

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:
neuromancer wrote:I love the machine so much at the moment that I'm trying to purchase another for fear that something will fail (life in my world is fraught with stress...)
:lol: I noticed that. Mind you, I can't say I'm not familiar with that creeping 'but what if it breaks!' anxiety myself. In fact, now you're making me worry about my own xbox.

BTW, you know that copy of OR2 you're waiting on? It might NEVER ARRIVE! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!
ah, but it did, this morning. Question: what makes an eBay seller think it's ok to place sodden manual in the box, and for it to gradually dry and and become stuck to the disc?

Nevermind, the playing surface looks intact...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:17 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:The robot game is Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
gman72 wrote:The original xbox was an excellent console, solid as a rock. No reliability issues.
Metal arms... great game.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 am

Otogi 1 and 2 have been mentioned a couple of times, but I'm gutted that I havent been able to get into them.

Beautiful visuals and music, interesting and atmospheric settings, evocative Japanese folklore and amazing amounts of carnage, let down in both by a control system that never quite clicked for me :(

So is it worth persisting?
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:The robot game is Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
My original Xbox (v1.0) has a Thompson - admittedly it's not seen much action, but the drive seems to read more media than my v1.4's Philips drive. The v1.0 drive is far noisier, however.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:00 pm

AlleyKat wrote:Otogi 1 and 2 have been mentioned a couple of times, but I'm gutted that I havent been able to get into them.

Beautiful visuals and music, interesting and atmospheric settings, evocative Japanese folklore and amazing amounts of carnage, let down in both by a control system that never quite clicked for me :(

So is it worth persisting?
I'd say yes without a doubt, give them one last chance since they are worth it in my opinion. Then again I managed to ignore any camera problems that the game did have (there were annoying spots sure but I kept going) and the controls really just clicked within about 2 levels (same with pretty much every game I play).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:47 pm

Yeah i forgot anout otogi 1 and 2. Both really smart.