Xbox (original) must-have games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

neuromancer

Xbox (original) must-have games

Post by neuromancer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:19 pm

I've just dug out my Xbox and fired up Halo again. Although I bought the hulking great machine on launch day I only ever bought two titles for it (Halo and Project Gotham Racing).

Can anyone recommend one (or a few) classic, system-defining games for the black breeze-block?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Fable. One of my fave games of all time.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Shenmue 2
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic. The 1st one. The 2nd is ok but the 1st is better & a must have.
Psychonauts
Chronicles Of Riddick.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:48 pm

Doom 3

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

thl

Post by thl » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:50 pm

Halo 1 & 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Out Run 2006: Coast2Coast

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 pm

All of the Above plus: (not all xbox exclusives but all the best versions)

Far Cry Instincts
Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza Motorsport
TOCA Race Driver 2 and 3
Rallisport Challenge 2
Burnout 3 Takedown
GTA Trilogy pack
Jet Set Radio Future
Both Buffy games

The Xbox got me back into console gaming after I'd been bored with the PS2. After selling my 60 plus games to fund a few months of 360 games, i'm gradually getting back to a good collection. Thing is even with awful games, I can put up with them for longer on the Xbox than on the PS2. There's plenty of other games too; I could happily spend a months gaming budget in the Cex Xbox section.

Although suggesting fable, KOTOR and Shenmue 2 already is really all you need, as those 3 games together could quite easily occupy your life for a considerable time :wink:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Kung Fu Chaos is good for a laugh. Stubbs The Zombie is quite funny (gut grenades, anyone?). Its quite expensive last time i looked though. I paid 18 quid for it about a year ago. But its really good, getting the chance to eat peoples brains, and building a big army of the undead then sending them on a rampage to eat the jocks and the coppers!!!! brilliant!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 pm

SirClive wrote:Fable. One of my fave games of all time.
got this on PC , but never got round to playing it ; may be the next game i start on - is it a long game?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:15 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
got this on PC , but never got round to playing it ; may be the next game i start on - is it a long game?
Not when compared to say, Oblivion, but then not much is..

Probably about the same length as KOTOR i'd imagine?

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Looks like I'll have to hit eBay...

The only real problem I have with the Xbox is the one that has always annoyed me about it - it's so bloody loud - first the fans (haven't taken it apart but they must be small hi-speed jobs) then the jet-engine whine of the dvd drive. I changed my xbox twice when I first got it thinking it must be faulty (then hoping it was a faulty batch).

Must get one of the second-generation smaller joypads too - my hands aren't small, but the joypad makes me look like a kid holding it!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Space_turnip wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
Not when compared to say, Oblivion, but then not much is..

Probably about the same length as KOTOR i'd imagine?
KOTR - another game I 've got (and its sequel) and not yet started - I'm so far behind with my 'to be played pile' . note to self: More playing , less talking!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:22 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
KOTR - another game I 've got (and its sequel) and not yet started - I'm so far behind with my 'to be played pile' . note to self: More playing , less talking!
Don't start playing it. Seriously. I made that mistake; had a pile of games to play, thought i'd work through them. Next thing I know, i'm addicted to the in-game card game and playing it every night. I've not even started number 2 yet. I dread to think what will happen if i do.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:27 pm

neuromancer wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Looks like I'll have to hit eBay...

The only real problem I have with the Xbox is the one that has always annoyed me about it - it's so bloody loud - first the fans (haven't taken it apart but they must be small hi-speed jobs) then the jet-engine whine of the dvd drive. I changed my xbox twice when I first got it thinking it must be faulty (then hoping it was a faulty batch).

Must get one of the second-generation smaller joypads too - my hands aren't small, but the joypad makes me look like a kid holding it!
I don't seem to have any problems with the noise from the Xbox. When I first got it, it was pleasent to not have something whirring away under the TV like my PS2 did. Possibly was a problem with the launch ones and not later ones though, mine was bought when prices started hitting stupid-low levels.

I'd also advise going to GAME (not something many people say anymore!); they're selling off all the XBOX games, usually at about half price. A few stores have sent all their stock to others though, so don't know what's where now. The beauty of the Xbox at the moment though is that games are so dirt cheap in shops. Shenmue 2 was 3 quid when I bought it; if that's not the best video game deal ever then I don't know what is.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:39 pm

Good tip, thanks.

I never owned a PS2, so I can't compare the noise - my GC eminates a gentle hum, but the Xbox is considerably louder.

I've also never seen an Xbox 360 or PS3 in action outside of a shop, so I can't compare to those.

I find all three of my Dreamcasts noisy in different ways - my idea of loud and the next person's are likely to be different anyway!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:43 pm

That's true; a lot of people say the 360 is loud but i've not really had a problem with that either.

I think the Dreamcast actually has a steam engine running inside it's little white case though. That or a small army of hamsters. It's the only reason I can think of that would make the console so loud it wakes up 3 people in a house (when the tv has headphones in)