Tomb Raider Legend

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Tomb Raider Legend

Post by Dudley » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:40 am

Well bugger me if it's not really rather good.

Everything I remember liking about Tomb Raider 1 and (on 360) stunningly pretty too.

22% in, seriously hooked.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

ScruffyKong

Post by ScruffyKong » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm

I bought it on pc, for some reason the sound crackles and the FPS drops to unplayable levels, I'm hoping they release a patch.

My pc is no slouch, currently running a Radeon X1900XT, I think it might be a lazy Xbox 360 port.
READY
RUN!

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:07 pm

ScruffyKong wrote:My pc is no slouch, currently running a Radeon X1900XT, I think it might be a lazy Xbox 360 port.
It's things like this that put me off PC gaming about 5 years ago.

Why bother fart-arsing around for patches to get the sound/graphics etc working properly when you can get the console version of the game, plonk it in the drive and you're off?

My brother's a die-hard PC gamer as well, but I just can't see the attraction it it myself. He seems to spend more time tweaking the graphics engines and overclocking his hardware than he does playing the games.

Anyway. TR Legend - Have just been faffing with the 360 demo and I have to say Dudley is right. I may have to purchase this when payday comes around.

drws

Post by drws » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

I bought the console version (xbox) to aviod the usual PC patches, driver tweaks etc, and my xbox version has locked up 3 times. :shock:

Not from extensive playing or overheating etc. guess just an untested feature!

All the same, great game, it does feel like a return to form for Lara. Possibly joint first (maybe second) with TR2?

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:26 pm

roberthazelby wrote:
ScruffyKong wrote:My pc is no slouch, currently running a Radeon X1900XT, I think it might be a lazy Xbox 360 port.
It's things like this that put me off PC gaming about 5 years ago.

Why bother fart-arsing around for patches to get the sound/graphics etc working properly when you can get the console version of the game, plonk it in the drive and you're off?

My brother's a die-hard PC gamer as well, but I just can't see the attraction it it myself. He seems to spend more time tweaking the graphics engines and overclocking his hardware than he does playing the games.

Anyway. TR Legend - Have just been faffing with the 360 demo and I have to say Dudley is right. I may have to purchase this when payday comes around.
I have it on the Xbox and so far I'm very impressed, even though I have found it to be easy, I'm 45% in with only 4 hours played!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Played this for an hour or so today. PC version is presumably requiring of a beefier CPU or more RAM - I have 640Mb and an Athlon 2400XP and it chugs a bit in places. Won't be the gfx card as I chucked a 6600GT in there recently, that ought to cope just fine. Of course turning off some of the fancy features would probably help a bit, but I prefer to suffer for the eye candy this time (usually I don't bother, but TR is all about the spectacle).

Not bad so far. Combat doesn't seem any better than its ever been.

Doesn't seem to be a way to control the camera from joypad either, and it doesn't recognise the second stick on my dual shock.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:33 pm

Then turn up the difficulty, it defaults to easy.

That said, because I'm crap that suits me just fine. I'm 22% in, just finished Peru, after about 3 and a half hours.

The "machinery" puzzle in level 1 is a classic. You'll love the solution when you get it. (I believe it's in the 360 demo)

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:47 pm

Dudley wrote:Then turn up the difficulty, it defaults to easy.

That said, because I'm crap that suits me just fine. I'm 22% in, just finished Peru, after about 3 and a half hours.

The "machinery" puzzle in level 1 is a classic. You'll love the solution when you get it. (I believe it's in the 360 demo)
I have it on Medium(Adventurer, I think?) The combat is fairly censored and like the Prince of Persia games just gets in the way of the puzzles and acrobatics.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:58 pm

Tomb Raider.
Gash.

FACT. :wink:

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:39 pm

DonkeySpank wrote:Tomb Raider.
Gash.

Donkey Spank.

Entitled to his opinions no matter how wrong they may be.

Angel of Darkness is Gash though.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:01 pm

Played the PS2 demo. Good game, but I'm not going to buy it unless I can pick it up cheat somewhere. Apparently it's easy and short. Sounds like my kind of game.

The first Tomb Raider was the one I enjoyed the most. I played Angel of Darkness to completion for old times sake. It had moments where there was a flash of the old Lara and I was willing to forgive it for all its faults, but ultimately it was poor. The combat worked well, but the control system was terrible and parts of the game were just broken. I got stuck for ages at one part because I had forgotten that Lara could 'sprint' due to the fact that I played the game in stints over a period of about a year. Great idea. Give Lara an upgrade on level 2 that you don't ever need to use except for one point in the game 9 levels later.

Most frustrating gameplay fault ever - undeserved deaths.

FACT.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:05 pm

The first Lara on PS1 was great
The rest have been pretty awful
(not played the latest yet though)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:37 pm

So you're saying that TR2 is crap? TR2 is the best one although the original is great too.

Have to agree with revgiblet, I've played both the PC and PS2 versions of AOD and it sucks. The camera, controls and design of the game stank of pure hell. I just couldn't be bothered to complete either version because it was so bad.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:47 pm

Good Gods, this takes me back.....Tomb Raider............Played the PS2 demo, and it seems ok.

I remember patching the PC version of the original so it would use my (at the time) top spec 3DFX Voodoo FX card. Those were the days.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:25 am

paranoid marvin wrote:The first Lara on PS1 was great
The rest have been pretty awful
(not played the latest yet though)
This reminds me a lot of 1, but with the more expansive environments you can now do. Some of the set pieces, like the main puzzle of level 2 are gorgeous looking.