Page 1 of 2

Space Invaders Extreme (DS) - looks Minter-esque

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:21 pm
by blakespot
Check the review / video:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo ... do-ds.html

Looks quite like something from Jeff Minter. I am anxious to pick it up. It supports the rotary controller that comes w/ Arkanoid DS, I hear.

I wish it would come out for iPhone. iPhone games are heavily on my mind...




blakespot

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:08 am
by Loftgroover
'looks minter esque'

except its actually fun!! :P

excellent game...caned the hell out of it for months b4 i dropped my DS one time too many. didnt like it with the paddle controller tho, preferred the d-pad.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:19 am
by Antiriad2097
It is most excellent, also available on PSP with cleaner graphics. You can turn off the background guff if you want.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:23 am
by SirClive
Only played the DS version, but it is the most spectacular update of what is really a pretty poor original.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:42 am
by CraigGrannell
SIE's the first thing I reviewed upon rebooting Revert to Saved. It's a really great game.

http://reverttosaved.com/2008/04/29/spa ... s-extreme/

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:06 am
by ToxieDogg
SirClive wrote:Only played the DS version, but it is the most spectacular update of what is really a pretty poor original.
You're saying the original Space Invaders is poor? :shock: :shock:

Back in it's day it popularised gaming to a whole new level. I have nothing but respect for that game.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:13 am
by SirClive
I am saying it is poor now. I can't play more than the 1st level without tedium setting in. But back when it was released was a different story.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:14 am
by The Master
Tsk, Space Invaders original is second only to Pac-Man and Gorf...

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:16 am
by SirClive
Galaxian pisses on SI. From a height.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:19 am
by The Master
Space Firebird pisses on Galaxian, in the mouth. Never understood it properly mind, but as the first ever sit-down cocktail cab I played it will always hold a special place in my heart/arse. Just wish they could sort out the colours and sound on MAME at last......!

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:27 am
by batman877
'Space Invaders Extreme' (DS) is one of the best games of 2008 so far... and probably the best version of Space Invaders ever made. (IMO of course!)

It's very much in the style of 'Meteos' on the DS but made as a shoot 'em up!

My only gripe is that the online presence is not very good yet... often have to wait 10 minutes for a game.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:34 am
by RetroKingSimon
Galaga '88 is the best :)

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:54 am
by Overheat
I had a game called Super Space Invaders on the Amiga and I can definitely say that it is by far the best version of the game I've ever played - the sub levels were brilliant too where you had to stop the aliens from abducting all your cows - genius! :D

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:24 am
by RetroKingSimon
Play has Space Invaders Extreme for £12.99. Is that a good price for it?
Overheat wrote:I had a game called Super Space Invaders on the Amiga and I can definitely say that it is by far the best version of the game I've ever played - the sub levels were brilliant too where you had to stop the aliens from abducting all your cows - genius! :D
I've got that on the Master System :)

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:43 pm
by blakespot
Loftgroover wrote:'looks minter esque'

except its actually fun!! :P

excellent game...caned the hell out of it for months b4 i dropped my DS one time too many. didnt like it with the paddle controller tho, preferred the d-pad.
Dude. Minter rules.

Tempest: http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000158.php




blakespot