Ever been ripped off on ebay?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 am

Haven't been 'ripped off' yet as such (touch wood), but this one was quite funny.

Picked up a boxed copy of F1 on the SMS a while back. The picture wasn't great quality so you couldn't really see anything in too much detail, but I wasn't that bothered as it was cheap.

When it arrived, I just had to laugh - although the game was indeed F1 for the SMS, for some reason the inlay had been taken from the Mega Drive version and plonked in the sleeve. Not only that, but all the 'Mega Drive' logos had been crudely pasted over with bits of paper saying 'Sega Master System' and to cap it off, '16 bit' had been crossed out and '8 bit' written on in biro :lol:

Very strange indeed.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:28 am

So what would you call a rip-off? I’ve got a few Megadrive and master system games I was going to put on e-bay, but one or two of them have ether lost their cartridge box covers, or the covers have been destroyed. In both cases I usually replace the cover with a good/decent quality inkjet or laser printed replacement. I’m not trying to mislead anyone here, should I sell them with the box, but without the replacement cover? By the way all the cartridges (and manuals were present) are originals.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:51 am

GarryG wrote:So what would you call a rip-off? I’ve got a few Megadrive and master system games I was going to put on e-bay, but one or two of them have ether lost their cartridge box covers, or the covers have been destroyed. In both cases I usually replace the cover with a good/decent quality inkjet or laser printed replacement. I’m not trying to mislead anyone here, should I sell them with the box, but without the replacement cover? By the way all the cartridges (and manuals were present) are originals.
No, but why don't you just say you've reprinted the covers in your listings? Nobody can complain if you're honest.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:21 am

ToxieDogg wrote: why don't you just say you've reprinted the covers in your listings? Nobody can complain if you're honest.
I would anyway, but just wouldn't want to be seen as trying to 'fake' something!

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:46 am

Sureshot wrote:Haven't been 'ripped off' yet as such (touch wood), but this one was quite funny.

Picked up a boxed copy of F1 on the SMS a while back. The picture wasn't great quality so you couldn't really see anything in too much detail, but I wasn't that bothered as it was cheap.

When it arrived, I just had to laugh - although the game was indeed F1 for the SMS, for some reason the inlay had been taken from the Mega Drive version and plonked in the sleeve. Not only that, but all the 'Mega Drive' logos had been crudely pasted over with bits of paper saying 'Sega Master System' and to cap it off, '16 bit' had been crossed out and '8 bit' written on in biro :lol:

Very strange indeed.
Pics please :lol:

Nic Maminer

Post by Nic Maminer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:22 am

GBA games that turn out to be pirate, as above. I only go for photos of actual goods and high feedback.

Other one - bought a ZX Spectrum at average market price - turned out to be 16k version. Works fine but not 48k though. :( Probably will resell it on Ebay (accurately!)

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:52 pm

nesmaster wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Haven't been 'ripped off' yet as such (touch wood), but this one was quite funny.

Very strange indeed.
Pics please :lol:
I'd have done one only it's back in England now.

retrogamer48k

Post by retrogamer48k » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:08 am

my nes for 50 but it did come in the box well nere really bean ripped yet

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:07 pm

I've been ripped off twice but luckily nothing too expensive. I bought a boxed Galaxy Invader 1000 for about £15. It arrived and as desribed it was in good nick. Powered it on and ...............no display. Sound ok but thats it. I mailed the guy and reminded him that he said it was in working order. He never replied so I just left him negative feedback.

Second time was a few months ago. I got Dark Earth for the PC and it arrived with the manual but the wrong game inside. He apologised and said that he hadn't checked the box. He said he would refund the money (a few quid). Nothing happend so I ended up mailing him 3 times but no response. Eventually I left him negative feedback only for him to leave me negative feedback and ruining my 100% score. Fucker!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:14 pm

I got ripped off with a Sega Saturn. The guy didn't send it and gave me a sob story and kept saying he would send it. Never got it and had waited too long to claim from Paypal. You live and you learn.

Started a paypal claim last month for some PCE games I bought from Japan that never turned up. The guy was really nice and we were amicable, but then I was sorting my games room out and found the pile of games :oops:
I cancelled the claim obviously!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:19 pm

SirClive wrote: Started a paypal claim last month for some PCE games I bought from Japan that never turned up. The guy was really nice and we were amicable, but then I was sorting my games room out and found the pile of games :oops:
I cancelled the claim obviously!
I wonder about you sometimes, I really do.
Splink!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:22 pm

That is the problem I have. Too many games and not enough time to play them.
At least I was honest when I found them though. Many would have just gone through with it and made an easy £30

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:28 pm

yeah i have been ripped of few times,

last week was a counterfeit DVD seller say that didn't realise :roll:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:58 am

I've now been waiting over a week for a game to be delivered and the seller isn't responding to email. Starting to think he's in the huff because it didn't sell for much, but I'll give it a few days yet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:30 am

In a fit of frustration/impatience, I once spent £330 on eBay for a brand new OEM 8800GTX, international sale from the UK to Poland. The seller didn't respond to a single god damn mail right from the beginning, but the card turned up in perfect working order 6 days later. I'm still using it now!
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip