Ever been ripped off on ebay?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nesmaster

Ever been ripped off on ebay?

Post by nesmaster » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:13 pm

I have :(
I bought a copy of FFIV on GBA. It came with book, the box was flat a nd poorly printed and the cart got stuck in my GBA for ages :x

When i finally managed to get that thing out, i emailed him and demanded my money back. He agreed, so i sent it him back. And i waited for a few days and asked him whats going on and he said he hadn't received the game.
I never got my £20 back :cry:

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Yeah, bought 3 NES games and two NES pads off a new seller (that was my first mistake) for £10. My second mistake was paying by cheque and not keeping a note of his address. So when the stuff never arrived I couldn't go round to his house with a flaming torch and a pitchfork!

playgeneration

Post by playgeneration » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:45 pm

Its simply not worth buying GBA games off ebay unless the auction has actual photos of the game showing its clearly genuine - not flat packed, a manual more than 2 pages etc. Ebay is full of fake GBA games and they don't care, they must have made a fortune in fees off them.

James A

Post by James A » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Had a couple of dvds that when they turn up have been fakes despite having what appear to be genuine photos, turns out they like to steal other people photos as well as there cash. Shocker ebay does nothing when you complain.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:59 pm

I payed $70 for a really rare CD from the States only for it to be a CDR when it turned up. Also, when I was trying to track down the Japanese uncut version of Kill Bill, I lost count of the amount of sellers trying to pass off the normal Chinese version as the uncut Japanese one. I even messaged most sellers before bidding to get specifics of the version. Most sellers are okay though.

stejay

Post by stejay » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:54 pm

I got a Atari Jaguar last year, which was totally bummed and all sorts wrong with it. I tracked down the seller, got refunded and got another one from a better seller. If the seller is rated above 95%, then they are basically totally trustworthy

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:59 pm

It's a total censored wen you get ripped on Ebay. It has happened to me a few times, but thankfully nothing too expensive. Just sent money off to never receive the item, a lesson well and truly learned, now I never buy anything without registered post.

ToxieDogg

Re: Ever been ripped off on ebay?

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:15 pm

nesmaster wrote:I have :(
I bought a copy of FFIV on GBA. It came with book, the box was flat a nd poorly printed and the cart got stuck in my GBA for ages :x

When i finally managed to get that thing out, i emailed him and demanded my money back. He agreed, so i sent it him back. And i waited for a few days and asked him whats going on and he said he hadn't received the game.
I never got my £20 back :cry:
This topic has already been done here:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9680

If you read the posts on there, you'll see that I was suckered with a cheap copy of Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow in exactly the same way that you were suckered with FFIV, goddamn Ebay pirates!! :evil:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:46 am

I paid £300 for an Xbox 360 when they first came out - Xbox never showed up and PayPal only managed to refund me £100 from the seller's account - £200 down :(
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions | CLICK HERE

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:49 am

Overheat wrote:I paid £300 for an Xbox 360 when they first came out - Xbox never showed up and PayPal only managed to refund me £100 from the seller's account - £200 down :(
Oh no :( Image

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:53 am

James A wrote:Had a couple of dvds that when they turn up have been fakes despite having what appear to be genuine photos, turns out they like to steal other people photos as well as there cash. Shocker ebay does nothing when you complain.
Had a photo of my metal gear solid substance auction nicked last week, reported it to ebay and they took the auction off, However that was just pure fluke that i noticed the pick was mine.

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 am

I was ripped off by some teenage oik on a $150 LP, until (after putting up with his censored for almost a month) I sent some really big hairy bikers round his place. Got my record a few days later :D
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 am

Theres a long and 'famous' story of someone being ripped off over at the World of Spectrum forums.

Someone had paid for an X-Box i think it was but never received the item. Had a huge long thread about it, the 'baddie' was replying to the buyer coming up with all sorts of excuses (baliffs had taken it etc), was a fascinating read but i cant believe the crap he was coming out with regarding the reasons for conning someone.

The other guy did a small claims court thingie and won, think he got most of his money back in the end but took him quite a while. The sellers name is mud over on the WOS forums !

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:12 am

I like my method better :P
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:38 am

I time and date stamp all the photos I take for selling stuff on e-bay, it helps to show that the stuff is genuine.

I figured out that something I was bidding on was fake once, after asking the seller some questions. I informed e-bay (asking to retract my bid) and later discovered that the auction had been pulled!