The old Angry Video Game Nerd thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

stejay

Post by stejay » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:38 am

My basement looks kinda like that guys place. Full of games, mostly Nintendo.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:49 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote: I expect to be treated in a similar manner and not have somebody just try to shout me (or others) down with an abusive tone and spout the kind of insults that I would have expected to hear in a school playground.
But if the same style is used to review games thats ok..?
How does that work then, because all I see on these videos are him shouting down the games and coming out with the kind of insults that children have given up using because they are too "childish"...

Oh and I'm sure we can all have a beer and a chat sometime in the near future, I'm not trying to making enemys, I'm just being honest and telling you what I think/feel...
Oh, for goodness sake. I feel like I'm going around in circles here. :roll:

Yes, you are quite entitled to view the AVGN as childish and a lot of people agree with you. Different things amuse different people, and all that.

But all James Rolfe is doing is playing an on screen character (ie. like an actor) to amuse his fans who like that kind of thing. Off screen, I have contacted him via email, his Youtube channel and his forum at ScrewAttack, and the 'real' him has always been pleasant and polite to talk to and seems to accept criticism well. The only thing he openly insults, whilst he's in character, are a bunch of old games....which are inanimate objects.

On the other hand, you actually appear to be quite a reasonable person on videos but then start ranting angrily yourself when anybody tries to communicate with you on here. You've taken it upon yourself to actually hurl real insults at real live people on this forum and their intelligence because they happen to enjoy a different form of entertainment to you....and it's that which I and others have an issue with. James Rolfe is only directing exaggerated insults at some old games as part of an entertainment act (whether or not you find that 'entertaining' is not the issue here, we've discussed that already). You are directing real insults at real people and IMO it's unacceptable.

Although I can understand why you and others do not find the AVGN entertaining, I fail to see why it angers you so much, unless you were actually personally responsible for programming some of those games yourself. It is sad when somebody else finds fault with a hobby we enjoy, but I can assure you that even when many of those games were first released, there was a large proportion of people who didn't like them even back then. I've already mentioned how much I hated the Ghostbusters game.

Each to their own, live and let live. :)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:53 am

OK what I don't understand how AVGN is linked to being childish. He does swear quite a bit, but that's an essential part of this character, it's even in the theme tune. I like to think we are all grown up enough to enjoy some childish jokes/swear words without being insecure about it.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:55 am

The repeated references to 'just some old games' hardly puts retro gaming in a positive light (or is it just me?).
C=Style wrote:OK what I don't understand how AVGN is linked to being childish. He does swear quite a bit, but that's an essential part of this character, it's even in the theme tune. I like to think we are all grown up enough to enjoy some childish jokes/swear words without being insecure about it.
For the most part, I'm not keen on people swearing just for the sake it - adding swear words doesn't magically make something funny when it wasn't before (contrary to some people's beliefs), but as I've already said, I find AVGN quite amusing, I guess because there's already lots of retro fans who focus their attention on the better games, so it's pretty funny to see bad ones ripped to shreds by someone who seems to have a talent for it.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Anyone that doesn't have Bombjack 64 on their 'duff games list' can't be that bad, surely? :)

I haven't seen this bloke before but after watching some of his reviews i soon realised that i've made similar points and comments myself over the years, not to mention chucking in some fairly inventive swearing in response to many of our retro game frustrations!

As mentioned in some of the previous posts, it's an act that is intended to be humorous which, due to his personal style, obviously doesn't appeal to everyone and he was always going to slate, (what he considers to be) crap games that other people actually enjoy.
He's obviously passionate about his hobby and whether he's as funny as Peter Kay or not, credit to him for taking the time to play and review these games in different sort of way.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

stejay

Post by stejay » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:42 pm

I think this guys says what he says to be controversial, and to make good entertainment. He is obviously failing on the second point, but oh well. I don't think they are his real opinions.

Bionic_commandoXXX

Post by Bionic_commandoXXX » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:39 am

Its obvious that AVGN has a passion for games. Especially retro games. If you look at his latest youtube E3 video, all he talks about is classic video games series.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:34 am

Bionic_commandoXXX wrote:Its obvious that AVGN has a passion for games. Especially retro games. If you look at his latest youtube E3 video, all he talks about is classic video games series.
He was very favourable to Street Fighter IV, so he has won me over!

Also, just watched his review of the original 1980's Transformer movie, so he is double in my good books at the moment!

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:14 am

I'm awesomely juvenile in many respects and am a big fan of creative swearing (South Park and Zero Punctuation both make me laugh till I squirt milk out of my nose), but AVN just isnt for me.

But this "you're taking it too seriously, maaan" thing is pure crap- no matter how apparently simple/lowbrow/comedic something is intended to be, doesnt excuse it from criticism, especially if its as witless, laboured and irritating as AVN.
I'm not saying the guy doesnt have a right to do it, or that he doesnt put effort in to it, or that people shouldnt be allowed to enjoy it, just that it doesnt work for me. At all.

Its just a question of taste and not worth anyone getting wound up about.

We should stick to flaming each other over our own videogame preferances, not third rate pundits like this guy.
:)
Last edited by AlleyKat on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:25 pm

Buit there's nothing to criticise really! I mean he's just doing his show, you either like it or not. No point picking holes in it if you don't like it, because as far as he's concerned (and many of his "fans") he is what he is and therefor not doing anything "wrong" nor is there any room for improvement.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:20 pm

I just watched another AVGN clip, the Superman 64 one. I'd always heard how bad that game is, and it's funny to see just how bad it is. That's the main thing I like about AVGN. There's always bad examples of stuff, no matter what you're into, and there are many bad retro games (and current games, for that matter). Watching his clips just lets you laugh at how bad some games are without having to waste money or time buying them or playing them yourself. Plus, he kind of reminds me of myself when playing games. I get a bit wound up sometimes and swear at the games. In fact, two of my four Dreamcasts needed replacing because of this. :oops:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:56 pm

bonerlaw wrote:
Bionic_commandoXXX wrote:Its obvious that AVGN has a passion for games. Especially retro games. If you look at his latest youtube E3 video, all he talks about is classic video games series.
He was very favourable to Street Fighter IV, so he has won me over!

Also, just watched his review of the original 1980's Transformer movie, so he is double in my good books at the moment!
This is partly the point that I've being trying to convey....James Rolfe only puts on a comedy act for his AVGN review videos (whether you find it funny or not is debatable, but the fact remains that it is only an act) but the real James Rolfe is quite passionate about the retro game scene and classic retro movies and does his best to promote them.

If anybody really believes that he really is like the AVGN and is actively trying to rubbish the retro scene, then they must also believe that Micheal J Fox really did travel through time in a DeLorean in the Back To The Future movies, that Robert Englund really did kill a bunch of screaming teenagers in Nightmare On Elm Street, and that all the WWE wrestling matches are completely real.

We all understand the difference between actors and the characters that they portray. Don't we? ;)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:28 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:I just watched another AVGN clip, the Superman 64 one. I'd always heard how bad that game is, and it's funny to see just how bad it is.
Yeah, I hadnt actually seen Superman 64 before- unbelievably bad, in a worse arena of bad than AVN, actually. Thats the real evil right there.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:46 pm

C=Style wrote:Buit there's nothing to criticise really! I mean he's just doing his show, you either like it or not. No point picking holes in it if you don't like it, because as far as he's concerned (and many of his "fans") he is what he is and therefor not doing anything "wrong" nor is there any room for improvement.
I'm just saying why I dont like it, basically. He has his fans for sure and it definitely has its place, but I personally just dont find it funny or interesting enough.

I wouldnt spite his fanbase by changing it even if I could- its just not for me.

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:24 pm

I've always liked the guy.

Anymore of his vids knocking about?
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned